Dead to the World (Southern Vampire…

Dead to the World (Southern Vampire Mysteries, Book 4) (edition 2005)

by Charlaine Harris

Member:MusicLovinMama
Title:Dead to the World (Southern Vampire Mysteries, Book 4)
Authors:Charlaine Harris
Info:Ace (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages

Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris

English (209)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (212)
Reread 2019

Probably still one of my favorite books. Love Eric and Pam. Wish Bill just disappeared.
  CielCat | Feb 6, 2019 |
This review is full of spoilers.
This review is posted on my blog

This is book 4 in the Sookie Stackhouse books, and I thought that it was about to par with the third book, and quite a lot better than the first two. I guess I'll take this moment to mention, in case you haven't seen my reviews of the first 3 books that before I decided to read this series, I watched all 6 of the currently aired seasons of True Blood, so my opinion of this book is obviously not what it would have been had I read the books first.

The book begins with Sookie at a new year's eve party where Sookie makes the sad, but circumstantially impressive resolution not to 'get beat up' this year, even if this means spending less time with Bill. I was actually really proud of Sookie for this, and in the long term (books 1-4) the author way she handled Sookie and Bill's relationship. I admit that in the first few books I assumed that this was another whisk-me-away, I-am-nothing-without-you stories where, the treatment of the leading lady by her love interest makes me cringe at it's presentation as a beautiful story. This does not seem to be the case though, because this book (as far as the relationship aspect of it) read to me like a healing, moving on story. I particularly liked the scene in which Sookie morns the loss of her 'one partner status' because I think that it is something that a lot of people don't think about until they, or someone they know are put in the situation. She had fallen in love with Bill, and slept with him, and I think she believed that they would end up getting married (pending legal changes) and that was that. I liked the very real pause she had when she slept with Eric, and the little internal debate about her own self image, because I know quite a few people who have had one of those moments.

Even though I enjoyed Sookie being with someone other than Bill, I'm not sure that I liked it being a memory wiped Eric. Somehow it felt a little bit shady her starting up a sexual relationship with someone who had no idea who he, or anyone else was (but I guess it's a little bit less shady because he obviously wanted to have sex with her before, during, and after his memory was wiped...).

I actually was able to enjoy the mystery aspect of Jason's sorry line, even though I already watched the show, because I guess it just didn't click with me where he was because of the differences throughout the show I just assumed it was different. I was a little disappointed in the way that his captivity ended though, because Jason running through the wood shouting about werepanthers was one of my favorite parts of the entire show, but I have hopes that it might happen in the next book.

I continue to be disappointed because of the lack of sub plots in the books, because as far as the series went I felt like Sookie and Bill's collective story lines (and to be honest, their separate ones) were the weak link.

I think that this book was better than the previous three, at least partially because it seemed to be structured better, with a more easily followed plot. Reading this book felt a lot more natural, and less like wading through muddy water that the previous three. I feel confident that I could have enjoyed this book without the crutch of the show to help me figure out where I was at some points.

I would still recommend this book to people who enjoyed the Vampire Diaries series and Beautiful Creatures, but I think that this one would appeal to a wider range of people (if they could get past books 1-3, or they didn't mind reading books out of order). ( )
  AngelaRenea | Jan 12, 2019 |
"In "Dead to the World" (book 4), one night after work Sookie drives home to find Eric running down the side of the road in nothing but pants with no idea who he is. Sookie helps him out by letting him stay with her and informing her other friends about the witch who did this to him ... since the witch wants more then Eric for his body ...... This story is mostly about the budding relationship of Eric and Sookie, which is why I give it 5 out of 5 stars!!"

Read more of this review here: https://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2009/12/you-got-me-runnin-baby-wild-a... ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Jan 1, 2019 |
This is my favorite book in the whole Sookie Stackhouse series. This book shows Eric in an completely different light. I love seeing Eric as more than just one sided. Great read and starts out a new love life for Sookie. ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Nov 29, 2018 |
Book #4 was really good. I am not a paranormal reads fan but there is something about this series that sucks me in. ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |

Mümmler, BrittaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Doremalen, Jessicasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weisz, Böbesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Though they'll probably never read it, this book is dedicated to all the coaches—baseball, football, volleyball, soccer—who've worked through so many years, often for no monetary reward, to coax athletic performances out of my children and to instill in them an understanding of The Game. God bless you all, and thanks from one of the moms who crowds the stands through rain, cold, heat, and mosquitoes. However, this mom always wonders who else might be watching the night games."
I found the note taped to my door when I got home from work.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441012183, Mass Market Paperback)

From Emma Bull's War for the Oaks to Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series, from The X-Files to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, creators are mixing old European myths and legends with modern American pop culture. Incorporating influences ranging from blaxploitation movies and erotic novels to tabloid staples like UFOs and Elvis, authors and directors are creating a new mythology for the strip-mall, tract-house, cell-phone America of the new millennium.

One of the best-known and best writers of the new American mythology is Charlaine Harris. Dead to the World is the fourth novel in her Anthony Award-winning Southern Vampire series. It continues the story of psychic waitress Sookie Stackhouse, who has fallen out with her undead lover, Bill. Bill has no sooner departed for Peru, than Sookie finds the head vampire, Eric, running naked and terrified through the rural night. She helps Eric, and discovers his memory has been destroyed by a coven of unscrupulous, astonishingly powerful witches, newly arrived in her small Louisiana town, and offering a huge reward for Eric. Sookie tries to hide Eric, but her brother sees him--and immediately disappears. And Sookie finds herself caught in a war among witches, vampires, and werewolves. --Cynthia Ward

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:21 -0400)

When cocktail waitress Sookie Stackhouse sees a naked man on the side of the road, turns out he doesn't remember who he is. But it's Eric the vampire, who's now a kindler, gentler vampire. He's also scared because whoever took his memory now wants his life.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,358,282 books! | Top bar: Always visible