Dead to the world : a Sookie Stackhouse…

Dead to the world : a Sookie Stackhouse novel (edition 2005)

by Charlaine Harris

7,685205439 (4.03)226
Member:wyvernfriend
Title:Dead to the world : a Sookie Stackhouse novel
Authors:Charlaine Harris (Author)
Info:London : Orbit, 2005.
Collections:Library Loans, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, read, 2012, library, pp, vampires, werewolves, were, shifters, november

Dead To The World by Charlaine Harris

Night Pleasures by Sherrilyn Kenyon (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: There are some vampire like creatures, although this series is much more smutty than Sookie.

English (200)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (204)
Again, another audio book. I'm not going to really write anything about this book except that if you like vampires and supernatural, then read this series and listen to it as the narrator sounds like Anna Paquin and does a fantastic job. Love this series. Slightly different than the HBO True Blood series. I like this version. Except for Lafayette being dead. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 12, 2016 |
Sucks you in right away

As with her other books, you're pulled in within a few pages and taken on a wild ride with no clue how it'll end up. I thoroughly enjoyed every page and look forward to reading the next book in the series. ( )
  thanbini | Jun 19, 2016 |
I guess it's the best book in the series, I am happy Sookie and Erick are together at last! he is so sexy! the best vampire ever!!

This novel opens on New Year's Eve, three weeks after the events of Club Dead. Bill and Sookie have broken up due to his betrayal with Lorena. As the book opens, he informs Sookie that he is going to Peru. Shortly after Bill’s departure, Sookie, on her way home after working at Merlotte’s New Year’s Eve party, finds Eric running madly down the road, half naked. He has a forlorn look, an expression Sookie has never seen in the confident Eric. He does not recognize her nor does he have any idea who he is. Sookie takes him to her home, washes his feet and calls Fangtasia to let Pam know that she has found Eric. The next night, Pam and Chow come to her house and explain to her that several nights ago a group of witches arrived in Shreveport. Pam explains to Sookie the true nature of witches, revealing that real witches can do plenty of bad things to vampires because witches control magical forces. This group seems to be more powerful than other witches and they are trying to control Eric and extort money from him. Eric threatened them when they tried to extort money, and Eric suddenly vanished from the office where they were discussing this offer. Eric remembers nothing of his life before he began running down the road. Pam and Chow ask Sookie to keep Eric safe while they solve the problem with the witches. This coven of witches consists of weres who also drink vampire blood, and they are very powerful and seem to have no morality. Holly also tells Sookie that this new coven has called all local witches and Wiccans to join them. Furthermore, Sookie learns that her brother, Jason, is missing and starts looking for him. Sookie informs Alcide Herveaux of the existence of this werewolves/witch coven in Shreveport and goes to Hotshot to speak to Crystal Norris, as she was the last person Jason was seen with. Sookie learns that the people of Hotshot are all weres.

Throughout all these chaotic events, Sookie and amnesiac Eric’s relationship grows, and they begin a sexual affair. Sookie is physically and emotionally attracted to this gentle and caring Eric. This Eric even offers to stay with Sookie forever, renouncing his life as a Sheriff and owner of Fangtasia.

The Shreveport pack, the Area Five vampires, and the local Wiccans band together to fight Hallow and her coven. At the planning meeting, Alcide's ex-girlfriend, Debbie Pelt, admits to having done a number of harmful things to Sookie, and as a result, Alcide "abjures" her—she is no longer allowed to run with the Shreveport pack, she is as if dead to Alcide, and she can be killed if she shifts in front of them. The coven is defeated and Hallow is tortured until she un-hexes Eric, and then Pam kills her. But before Hallow can reverse the curse on Eric he and Sookie go back to her house to find Debbie Pelt waiting with a gun, which she quickly fires at Sookie. Eric takes the bullet for Sookie, who then kills Debbie. Eric discards her body once he has recovered from the gunshot wound. The next night, Eric gets his memory back, and he has no recollection of his time with Sookie.

Eventually, Sookie, Sam, and Calvin Norris discover that Felton Norris (Calvin and Felton are both werepanthers from Hotshot) has been keeping Jason captive because Felton is in love with Crystal and did not want to see Crystal with Jason. Felton thinks Crystal is attracted to Jason only because he is not a were. Felton has bitten Jason several times in order to turn him into a werepanther at the next full moon. Calvin and Sookie agree to not tell the authorities, with Calvin implying that the citizens of Hotshot will kill Felton for his crimes. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
Much to my surprise, this series is actually getting better and better as it goes along. This is #4, and while I liked #3 better than either of the first two, I think this is the best yet. I literally read this by candlelight when the power went out because of a storm, and stayed up late into the night to finish it! ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
Sooooo much better than the third book ([b:Club Dead|140082|Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3)|Charlaine Harris|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1204574020s/140082.jpg|602144]). I still don't understand why I'm so drawn into this series. Seriously, there are points when I'm reading that I'm like "Ugh, please!" but I keep reading and at the last page I'm all but salivating to get my hands on the next one. What is that? I want the secret so that I can duplicate it.

Okay, the actual review: The story moves at a good pace, lags a bit in the middle with the Sookie/Eric (yay!) interlude. I'm a little disappointed that the Eric that Sookie finally got was a watered down wimpy version, but hey, sometimes a girl needs that kind of sex, I suppose. She is sleeping with dead men after all, so I'll assume her tastes are a bit different than most gals her age.

The injection of other "supernaturals" was a good idea, a nice change of pace. Sam is getting duller and duller though, I'd like to see him back to the intriguing personality of the first book. Bill, well now I'm kind of hoping he does something real man-like or at the very least, entertaining, to win her back. I'm also kind of looking forward to Eric remembering his days..er, nights, with Sookie. See? I'm way too into a story that even I admit has holes in it. **sigh**

Yes, I've already bought five and six. I'm in for the long haul now. I shall read them all. Then it's onto True Blood, on DVD of course since I'm way behind the trends.

While I wasn't thrilled with the previous, I say read it, and then definitely read this one. Lots of giggles and head-scratch moments. ( )
1 vote ReneeMiller | Feb 25, 2016 |

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Though they'll probably never read it, this book is dedicated to all the coaches—baseball, football, volleyball, soccer—who've worked through so many years, often for no monetary reward, to coax athletic performances out of my children and to instill in them an understanding of The Game. God bless you all, and thanks from one of the moms who crowds the stands through rain, cold, heat, and mosquitoes. However, this mom always wonders who else might be watching the night games."
I found the note taped to my door when I got home from work.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441012183, Mass Market Paperback)

From Emma Bull's War for the Oaks to Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series, from The X-Files to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, creators are mixing old European myths and legends with modern American pop culture. Incorporating influences ranging from blaxploitation movies and erotic novels to tabloid staples like UFOs and Elvis, authors and directors are creating a new mythology for the strip-mall, tract-house, cell-phone America of the new millennium.

One of the best-known and best writers of the new American mythology is Charlaine Harris. Dead to the World is the fourth novel in her Anthony Award-winning Southern Vampire series. It continues the story of psychic waitress Sookie Stackhouse, who has fallen out with her undead lover, Bill. Bill has no sooner departed for Peru, than Sookie finds the head vampire, Eric, running naked and terrified through the rural night. She helps Eric, and discovers his memory has been destroyed by a coven of unscrupulous, astonishingly powerful witches, newly arrived in her small Louisiana town, and offering a huge reward for Eric. Sookie tries to hide Eric, but her brother sees him--and immediately disappears. And Sookie finds herself caught in a war among witches, vampires, and werewolves. --Cynthia Ward

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:21 -0400)

When cocktail waitress Sookie Stackhouse sees a naked man on the side of the road, turns out he doesn't remember who he is. But it's Eric the vampire, who's now a kindler, gentler vampire. He's also scared because whoever took his memory now wants his life.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,369,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible