Dead To The World: A True Blood Novel by…

Dead To The World: A True Blood Novel (edition 2010)

by Charlaine Harris

Member:Eisler
Title:Dead To The World: A True Blood Novel
Authors:Charlaine Harris
Info:Gollancz (2010), Edition: MMP (AUS/NZ ONLY), Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:Library, B-004, C-Bon Temps, Paranormal, Romance, N-USA, Demon, Fairy, Psychic, Vampire, Were, S-Sookie S, Present Alternate, 2009, 200911

Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris

Night Pleasures by Sherrilyn Kenyon (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: There are some vampire like creatures, although this series is much more smutty than Sookie.

English (177)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (181)
loved this book also but i do like most of Charlaine Harris books so you can say I am bais in favour of her books. ( )
  weelinda | Nov 5, 2014 |
Warning: May contain spoilers

It took me about a week and a bit to read this book. Firstly because I was dealing with family problems, had my partners little brother over for a half the week and because for the first time in what seems like forever, the sun is shinning, I've been out playing with my little girl.

Another reason (probably the real reason) is I just got so frustrated with this book. I'm sick of the love triangle between Sookie, Eric & Bill. Bill goes to Peru at the start of the book to work on his research into vampire history, I thought that it would be a really good time for Sookie to be alone and maybe finally develop her character a bit more. Instead she was faced with the task of looking after Eric, who had lost his memory, and within days she had fallen in love with him.

Now don't get me wrong, I've seen all this in the show and I was looking forward to reading it in this book, but all it did was make me want to pull my hair out. People don't fall in love that quick, it just doesn't happen. I know Eric seem to have an effect on people (believe me, I know.. haha) but Sookie is nothing but a little slut at the end of the day. She makes out she's such a good little girl when in the space of 4 books she's bounced between Eric & Bill who are vampires, Sam (her boss) who is a shifter, Alcide who is a werewolf and a new character ( that I have yet to be introduced to) called John.

The fight between the witches and vampires was well.....it could have been better. I think the idea of the witches and wiccans being also shifters or werewolf's and are drinking vampire blood very far fetched, plus the reason as to why they are trying to take over Erics art of town seemed like nothing more but the last resort. I felt like for most of the book Charlaine didn't know what to write about so she put her first ideas to paper. And tbh, it didn't turn out so well.

I'll be honest with you, the only reason I'm going to continue reading this serires is 1. because despite all its flaws I am looking forward to seeing more of Alcide and Eric. 2. season 5 of True Blood starts next weekend and I would like to know what happens before it starts and lastly 3. because I've spent too much time reading this just to give up now. I will finish it, even if i don't enjoy it.

I really think i'm just past the teen book stage to be honest. Which is sad :( ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book, Sookie is granted a nice level of agency, and a very well built characterization. Eric was truly delightful in this book, the amnesia was well played. The plots hung together fairly well, particularly as a lead in to the next novel.

I love that Sookie handles herself. She has very real reactions to the action she is sometimes forced to, but she DOES take the action, which sometimes requires her to end the lives of others. This could be played up more, but the general tone of the novels derives from the Cozy Mystery, so I'll let any censure there pass. Plenty of novels take moral navel gazing and run into the blazing sunset with it; I don't feel too bad about Harris not doing so.

Admittedly, cozy mysteries with a hefty dose of female agency when it comes to action and, well, action, are just what I need right now. I was so reluctant to start these because I thought they'd just be too fluffy for me after Anita Blake. But it is being good for the soul in an entirely different manner.

As a cultural production, the series is definitely Interesting.

Plot Summary:
Eric shows up minus his memory.
Big bad vampire drinking were-witches cursed him.
Sookie keeps Eric and is promised payment by Pam, who is now in charge.
Jason goes missing.
Hotshot is introduced, were pather community.
Vamps, shifters and witches come together to boot the Big Bads. Sookie helps, isn't beat up.
Has to kill Debbie, Alcide's ex who shows up in Sookie's kitchen, Tries to shoot Sookie; Eric takes the bullet.
Bad witch removes curse; Eric can't remember being lovers with Sookie.
Were panther wanna be boyfriend of Jason's latest fling took him, Sam and Sookie get him back with Calvin's help. ( )
  raselyem7 | Aug 30, 2014 |
My favorite so far! Love Eric, and amnesia!Eric was great too. Totally a Sookie/Eric shipper. ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
Bill gone for most of book. Eric amnesia for most of book. Busy. ( )
  Chaps | Jun 8, 2014 |

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Though they'll probably never read it, this book is dedicated to all the coaches—baseball, football, volleyball, soccer—who've worked through so many years, often for no monetary reward, to coax athletic performances out of my children and to instill in them an understanding of The Game. God bless you all, and thanks from one of the moms who crowds the stands through rain, cold, heat, and mosquitoes. However, this mom always wonders who else might be watching the night games."
"I found the note taped to my door when I got home from work."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441012183, Mass Market Paperback)

From Emma Bull's War for the Oaks to Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series, from The X-Files to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, creators are mixing old European myths and legends with modern American pop culture. Incorporating influences ranging from blaxploitation movies and erotic novels to tabloid staples like UFOs and Elvis, authors and directors are creating a new mythology for the strip-mall, tract-house, cell-phone America of the new millennium.

One of the best-known and best writers of the new American mythology is Charlaine Harris. Dead to the World is the fourth novel in her Anthony Award-winning Southern Vampire series. It continues the story of psychic waitress Sookie Stackhouse, who has fallen out with her undead lover, Bill. Bill has no sooner departed for Peru, than Sookie finds the head vampire, Eric, running naked and terrified through the rural night. She helps Eric, and discovers his memory has been destroyed by a coven of unscrupulous, astonishingly powerful witches, newly arrived in her small Louisiana town, and offering a huge reward for Eric. Sookie tries to hide Eric, but her brother sees him--and immediately disappears. And Sookie finds herself caught in a war among witches, vampires, and werewolves. --Cynthia Ward

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:50 -0400)

When cocktail waitress Sookie Stackhouse sees a naked man on the side of the road, turns out he doesn't remember who he is. But it's Eric the vampire, who's now a kindler, gentler vampire. He's also scared because whoever took his memory now wants his life.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,321,719 books! | Top bar: Always visible