Club Dead by Charlaine Harris

Club Dead (2003)

by Charlaine Harris

Series: Southern Vampire Mysteries (3)

English (208)  French (2)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (213)
I followed up the Twilight series with the Sookie Stackhouse series. A good, soft transition into more paranormal romance. Too much hype for Charlaine Harris's books because of the HBO series than deserved. The HBO series is fine; the books are fine, but the plot/mystery of each book is simple. Very quick read -- straightforward plot with friendly characters that are easy to like. If you enjoy paranormal, you will probably enjoy this series, but there truly are more gripping, non-plain vanilla paranormal series out there (both in terms of adult scenes and dynamic realtionships between various beings in the paranormal realm). My 4-star rating is based on my thoughts just after reading, but would probably garner only 3-stars after having read Alexancer Ivy, Jacqueline Frank and Gena Showalter. I stopped reading this series after the 9th book... ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
The third book in the series. This is basically another adventure in the life of telepathic waitress, Sookie Stackhouse. Sookie goes undercover looking for Bill, who has been kidnapped. She is helped by Alcide the werewolf.

I found the story entertaining and I would recommend this book to others who enjoyed the first two in the series. ( )
  nebula21 | Feb 18, 2015 |
This book rocked. Sookie had lots of agency in this book, saves Bill, despite the fact that he is a cheating jerk, has another love interest and is grown up enough to admit the timing is bad and doesn't pursue it, dumps Bill's dumb butt, and rescinds both Eric and Bill's invitations into her home.

Good for the soul. ( )
  librarycatnip | Jan 12, 2015 |
Third book in The Southern Vampire Mysteries. Vampire Bill has disappeared whilst working on a secret project. Hoping to rescue him, Sookie travels to Jackson, Mississippi. She needs the help of werewolf, Alcide Herveaux, and vampire Eric. Another really good read. ( )
  boppisces | Dec 30, 2014 |
Warning: May contain spoilers

Finally I'm liking the series. I had heard that it had picked up in this book but after the last 2 books I can honestly say I wasn't optimistic. From start to finish I loved the book, I felt like Harris had settled and was comfortable with where she wanted the story to go, and it showed. It didn't feel like it was all thrown together, the character development was spot on and I was hooked.

I love Alcide. Like really love him. I did in the show and as most of my favourite characters have taken the back seat in the books I thought he would too. I'm glad to say I was more than pleasantly surprised. He was described just enough and for the first time I really felt like I knew one of the characters.

I still cant stand Sookie. Maybe more since reading this book. She's looking for her boyfriend who might or might not have been cheating on her and planning to leave her, only to fall in to the arms of both Eric & Alcide while on the hunt for him. I'm really misunderstanding what makes her so attractive. And to put it bluntly, in the words of Pam from season 4 of True Blood "Sookie, I am so over Sookie and Her Precious Fairy Vagina and Her Unbelievably Stupid Name Fuck Sookie!" (try to forget the 'fairy' part as technically i shouldn't know that bit already haha) Also.. I'm really not sure how I felt about Bill forcing himself on Sookie after she saved him and he was disorientated. That was something I felt the book could definitely do without.

All in all I really liked this book (for once). I saw a glimpse of the bad ass vampire that Eric is supposed to be, and wish I saw more of that side to Pam. Because I'm not really seeing it yet.
Everything else was great though, and everything I hated about the last 2 books thankfully were fixed ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my middle child, Timothy Schulz, who told me flatly he wanted a book all to himself.
My Thanks to Lisa Weissenbuehler, Kerie I, Nickle, Marie La Dalle, and the incomparable Doris Ann Norris for their input on car trunks, great and small. My further thanks to Janet Davis, Irene, and Sonya Stocklin, also cybercitizens of DorotyL, for their information on bars, bouree ( a card game), and the parish governments of Louisiana. Joan Coffey was most gracious with supplying information about Jackson. the wonderful and obliging Jane Lee drove me patiently around Jackson for many hours, entering thoroughly into the spirit of finding the perfect location for a vampire bar.
Bill was hunched over the computer when I let myself in his house.
From the back:

There's only one vampire Sookie Stackhouse is involved with (at least voluntarily) and that's Bill.

But recently he's been a little distant - in another state distant. His sinister and sexy boss, Eric, has an idea where to find him. Next thing Sookie knows, she is off to Jackson, Mississippi, to mingle with the under-underworld at Club Dead It's a dangerous little haunt where the elitist vampire society can go to chill out and suck down some type O. But when Sookie finally finds Bill - caught in an act of Serious betrayal - she's not sure whether to saved him...or sharpen some stakes.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441010512, Mass Market Paperback)

Sookie's boyfriend has been very distant-in another state, distant. Now she's off to Mississippi to mingle with the underworld at Club Dead-a little haunt where the vampire elite go to chill out. But when she finally finds Bill—caught in an act of betrayal—she's not sure whether to save him...or sharpen some stakes.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:30 -0400)

Sookie's boyfriend has been very distant-in another state, distant. Now she's off to Mississippi to mingle with the underworld at Club Dead-a little haunt where the vampire elite go to chill out. But when she finally finds Bill-caught in an act of betrayal-she's not sure whether to save him...or sharpen some stakes.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,770,540 books! | Top bar: Always visible