Club Dead by Charlaine Harris

Club Dead

by Charlaine Harris

Series: Southern Vampire Mysteries (3)

English (241)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (244)
My favorite book of the series so far. It's interesting to slowly see more and more of the supernatural world Charlaine Harris has created. In this book, Bill is missing, and Eric sends Sookie and a werewolf named Alcide to Mississippi to find him. Of course, it's not that easy, and there happen to be a few murders along the way.

On a side note, I really like Bubba. I understand why he wasn't put into the TV series, but he's very entertaining. ( )
  jrg1316 | Jun 20, 2019 |
Bill betrays Sookie and is kidnapped and Sookie, with the direction of Eric and help of werewolf Alcide Herveaux she goes to Mississippi to find Bill. We learn about vampire King of Mississippi and the Queen of Louisiana. Sookie is attracted to and makes out with both Eric and Alcide, even while being heartsick for Bill and Bill's behavior is despicable as well. Very turned off by the characters.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
This was another great book in the Southern Vampire series. I read it in one day. Unfortunately, I had read books 4 and 5 before this one, so I knew the major plot points before I went in. Even so, it was an interesting and exciting. This is the book where Sookie meets Alcide, and Bill is kidnapped! So it is up to Sookie to find out where Bill is being held. We get more of Eric in this book, and Bubba! Always fun to see Bubba. This is a good addition to the series. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
The only way I could get through all the Alcide was to try to picture him as Hugh Jackman. Even then, he was so not interesting or attractive to me. Then again, I'm just not a "man's man" type of girl. I have the feeling that most women who read vampire romances aren't into those kind of guys, either.
I'm fast learning that the parts I enjoy most include Eric. He was awesome in this book, and I loved that scene with him and Sookie in Russell's house. I also loved him flying up and knocking on Sookie's window. Next to Eric, I like all the vampire stuff (I love Pam), and the were stuff bores me immensely.
I do like that Sookie travels around the South. I'd never even heard of Jackson or Shreveport before reading these. Being from Canada, the American South is totally alien to me, and before True Blood it held very little interest, but I'm starting to appreciate the intricacies of Southern culture. Once you look past the rednecks and the bible-thumpers, there's a lot there. ( )
  xiaomarlo | Apr 17, 2019 |
Reread Dec 2018/jan 2019
I gave it 4 stars many years ago. I'm not sure what to give it now.

I like this one better than the first 2 books. But I don't love it as much as I used to. I'm noticing all these little things that bother me this time around and omg there are some horrible sentences in these books. I also keep getting the feeling that the author thinks we can't figure anything out for ourselves, because even really obvious things are explained.
These books also have a bit of rapey vibe. I get that they're vampires. But when you're trying to sell a romance.. Have the hero pretty much have sex with the woman without her consent (and not just in this book either) is NOT romantic and shouldn't be romantized.

It's entertaining over all and Sookie is developing into a more well rounded character. But the things above just keep bothering me. I didn't even notice them as a teen (which is also why it's not okay to set this as a romantic example). ( )
  CielCat | Feb 6, 2019 |

Guarnieri AnnaritaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Luengo, LorenzoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weisz BöbeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my middle child, Timothy Schulz, who told me flatly he wanted a book all to himself.
My Thanks to Lisa Weissenbuehler, Kerie I, Nickle, Marie La Dalle, and the incomparable Doris Ann Norris for their input on car trunks, great and small. My further thanks to Janet Davis, Irene, and Sonya Stocklin, also cybercitizens of DorotyL, for their information on bars, bouree ( a card game), and the parish governments of Louisiana. Joan Coffey was most gracious with supplying information about Jackson. the wonderful and obliging Jane Lee drove me patiently around Jackson for many hours, entering thoroughly into the spirit of finding the perfect location for a vampire bar.
Bill was hunched over the computer when I let myself in his house.
From the back:

There's only one vampire Sookie Stackhouse is involved with (at least voluntarily) and that's Bill.

But recently he's been a little distant - in another state distant. His sinister and sexy boss, Eric, has an idea where to find him. Next thing Sookie knows, she is off to Jackson, Mississippi, to mingle with the under-underworld at Club Dead It's a dangerous little haunt where the elitist vampire society can go to chill out and suck down some type O. But when Sookie finally finds Bill - caught in an act of Serious betrayal - she's not sure whether to saved him...or sharpen some stakes.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441010512, Mass Market Paperback)

Sookie's boyfriend has been very distant-in another state, distant. Now she's off to Mississippi to mingle with the underworld at Club Dead-a little haunt where the vampire elite go to chill out. But when she finally finds Bill—caught in an act of betrayal—she's not sure whether to save him...or sharpen some stakes.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:47 -0400)

Sookie's boyfriend has been very distant-in another state, distant. Now she's off to Mississippi to mingle with the underworld at Club Dead-a little haunt where the vampire elite go to chill out. But when she finally finds Bill-caught in an act of betrayal-she's not sure whether to save him ... or sharpen some stakes.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,756,826 books! | Top bar: Always visible