dismiss

Club Dead

by Charlaine Harris

Series: Sookie Stackhouse (3)

Gorgeous and feisty telepath Sookie Stackhouse hits the road to find her missing boyfriend, who may have run off with his former lover--a notorious vamp.

English (246)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (249)
A wonderful continuation of Sookie's story - lots of plot twists, and intriguing mystery, as well as the humor we've come to expect from Charlaine Harris! ( )
  book_lady15 | Apr 3, 2020 |
The best part of this book was when Sookie finally saw that Bill wasn't the good guy she thought he was.... This book is what started my hatred for Bill... he's such a poser and a fake, granted he was blood deprived and stuff, but that's basically like saying "I was too drunk to know better" But Sookie being her naive self doesn't realize this and still after the rape occurred she semi forgave him. What A complete idiot, I don't care what condition he was in if he would have done that to me I would cold clocked him right in his man parts until he passed out. lol ( )
  hixxup79 | Feb 23, 2020 |
Things between cocktail waitress Sookie and her vampire boyfriend Bill seem to be going excellently (apart from the small matter of him being undead) until he leaves town for a while. A long while. Bill's sinister boss Eric has an idea of where to find him, whisking her off to Jackson, Mississippi to mingle with the under-underworld at Club Dead. When she finally catches up with the errant vampire, he is in big trouble and caught in an act of serious betrayal. This raises serious doubts as to whether she should save him or start sharpening a few stakes of her own.

I love reading the Sookie Stackhouse series. Even though most of the characters are paranoral, Harris makes them seem real. Exciting, romantic, and funny.. ( )
  lrobe190 | Oct 2, 2019 |
While I liked this book more than the previous two (mainly because I love Eric), there were still some major issues for me. The biggest one being that I didn't understand why Bill had left until the end of the book. This would have been fine if Sookie (who's point of view we are reading from) didn't know before me. Apparently she understood the "secret project" that he had been working on for some time now. When did she actually look at the discs?I remember her retrieving the computer and stuff, but I don't remember her actually looking at what was on them.

I also don't understand how Sookie could forget about the fact that 1) Bill left her, knowing that he wasn't coming back, and didn't bother to actually break up with her 2) Cheated on her with his ex-vampire lover whom he ran back to for no apparent reason 3) He drained her 4) He raped her and 5) He acted like none of it happened and then tried to play the victim Most people don't forget things like that and want to have sex shortly after. Sure, she eventually comes to her senses, but even that is half-assed.

The main redeeming parts of this book were Alcide and Eric. They are both so much fun to read about and seem to have genuine chemistry with Sookie. Those passages don't seem to be forced or only focused on sex like they do with her and Bill. Maybe that's intentional, or maybe Harris just had fun writing these characters, I don't really care. I am just glad they are part of the story because I wouldn't have made it through this book without them. ( )
  bookworm148 | Oct 1, 2019 |
HERE BE SPOILERS

I really wish there were more things in my house that I could throw. Seriously. Sookie's "Word of the Day" calendar, an dhow stupid she looks because of it, will drive me up the wall. Sookie, stop! If you have to use a word of a day calendar to learn some pretty simple words that adults hear all the time, like libido, and then fight to integrate it into your narrative, its time to stop. I'm glad you are trying to educate and better yourself, but I just don't need to know that you had to have a calendar teach you that word. I don't.

Now, to the plot, away!

There was a plot. It was there, I remember it. But there were some serious gaps. Maybe its just that I'm a speed reader, but the beginning was so poorly explained I had no idea why Bill left in the first place! We go from him sitting on a computer, working on a mysterious project of which Sookie isn't allowed to know the details of; to the end of the book where all of a sudden she and Eric know more than we were told they did, for no apparent reason. Bill's project was so underwhelming for the mass chaos it caused it was pathetic. I didn't think it was all the neat of a project, even after it was explained why it was so "important." Yeah I could see how it could be useful, but not worth the many deaths sprinkled throughout the book.

Sookie and Bill still act like children in this book, although admittedly less so than the second. However the relationship is obviously much worse. Here's major spoilers here, but somehow, and I don't understand how, Eric found out that Bill was going to leave Sookie for Lorena, who in the books is not Bill's maker, but instead his former vampire hoochie-mama that vampires aren't supposed to have. She turns on Bill, tortures him, Sookie comes to the rescue, gets locked in the trunk, and Bill rapes her and sucks her practically dry. Two paragraphs later they are snuggling. At least Sookie realized how wrong it was, not that she did a whole lot about it other than to huff off into the car with Eric and go home, which she had to do anyway. So he rapes her, and is still allowed into her house, which she finally reaches after being beat up, chased down, and then cornered in a gas station hold up. She gets home, only to get beat up, again! And Bill comes back, saves her butt, makes up some lame excuse as to why it took him forever to warn her she was being pursued, and brushes her hair! HE RAPED AND DRAINED HER. SOOKIE RESCIND YOUR INVIT--oh there you go. Finally.

Thank goodness Eric is at least entertaining. And Alcide is an actual person, not just a whiny skin bag.

And Bubba. Bubba kills me. I like the idea of a vampire like Bubba. I dislike who he was in a past life, and the use of it in this book. Ridiculous, just like jumping the shark on tv. Stop it now. I hope Bubba goes away and never has the last second answer to a giant plot point again!

The grammar and spelling have improved. The descriptions have not. An excerpt:

"The smaller man's head was covered with that no-color hair, the kind people call 'brown' because they have to call it something."

and the next page:

"The no-color man squeezed his eyes shut..."

People call it brown because it is actually the color brown! I know that there is a grey area for brown and dirty blonde, but seriously?

At least my mother gets some giggles from my outrage. ( )
  Chazlyn | Jun 30, 2019 |

Luengo, LorenzoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murello, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weisz BöbeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my middle child, Timothy Schulz, who told me flatly he wanted a book all to himself.
My Thanks to Lisa Weissenbuehler, Kerie I, Nickle, Marie La Dalle, and the incomparable Doris Ann Norris for their input on car trunks, great and small. My further thanks to Janet Davis, Irene, and Sonya Stocklin, also cybercitizens of DorotyL, for their information on bars, bouree ( a card game), and the parish governments of Louisiana. Joan Coffey was most gracious with supplying information about Jackson. the wonderful and obliging Jane Lee drove me patiently around Jackson for many hours, entering thoroughly into the spirit of finding the perfect location for a vampire bar.
Bill was hunched over the computer when I let myself in his house.

From the back:

There's only one vampire Sookie Stackhouse is involved with (at least voluntarily) and that's Bill.

But recently he's been a little distant - in another state distant. His sinister and sexy boss, Eric, has an idea where to find him. Next thing Sookie knows, she is off to Jackson, Mississippi, to mingle with the under-underworld at Club Dead It's a dangerous little haunt where the elitist vampire society can go to chill out and suck down some type O. But when Sookie finally finds Bill - caught in an act of Serious betrayal - she's not sure whether to saved him...or sharpen some stakes.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,677,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible