Club Dead by Charlaine Harris

Club Dead (2003)

by Charlaine Harris

Series: Southern Vampire Mysteries (3)

7,478209461 (3.9)254

English (204)  French (2)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (209)
Warning: May contain spoilers

Finally I'm liking the series. I had heard that it had picked up in this book but after the last 2 books I can honestly say I wasn't optimistic. From start to finish I loved the book, I felt like Harris had settled and was comfortable with where she wanted the story to go, and it showed. It didn't feel like it was all thrown together, the character development was spot on and I was hooked.

I love Alcide. Like really love him. I did in the show and as most of my favourite characters have taken the back seat in the books I thought he would too. I'm glad to say I was more than pleasantly surprised. He was described just enough and for the first time I really felt like I knew one of the characters.

I still cant stand Sookie. Maybe more since reading this book. She's looking for her boyfriend who might or might not have been cheating on her and planning to leave her, only to fall in to the arms of both Eric & Alcide while on the hunt for him. I'm really misunderstanding what makes her so attractive. And to put it bluntly, in the words of Pam from season 4 of True Blood "Sookie, I am so over Sookie and Her Precious Fairy Vagina and Her Unbelievably Stupid Name Fuck Sookie!" (try to forget the 'fairy' part as technically i shouldn't know that bit already haha) Also.. I'm really not sure how I felt about Bill forcing himself on Sookie after she saved him and he was disorientated. That was something I felt the book could definitely do without.

All in all I really liked this book (for once). I saw a glimpse of the bad ass vampire that Eric is supposed to be, and wish I saw more of that side to Pam. Because I'm not really seeing it yet.
Everything else was great though, and everything I hated about the last 2 books thankfully were fixed ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
"Somehow, it had never crossed my mind—I guess since I'm an American—that the vampires who had snatched Bill might be resorting to evil means to get him to talk."?!
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
Yeah, just like in Twilight, the shifters bore me. *yawn* ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
Again, I was very impressed by the reader & enjoyed the book a lot, possibly more than when I read it. Unfortunately, book 4 is not available for download from the library, although I have books 5-8 to listen to.

I'm not entirely thrilled with Sookie. She's pretty tough on the men in her life. She gets mad at Bill for giving her charge accounts & outraged when he thinks about seeing to her financial future, saying that it would make her a 'kept woman', BUT she's furious because he doesn't help her out when she needs gravel on her drive BUT admits that she couldn't accept it if he did offer. It also seems that, in all their time together, Sookie has never said anything about the lane to him. IOW, poor Bill is screwed no matter what he does.

The story was interesting & fun, as usual. We get to see a bit further into the supernatural community, too. A lot is left hanging. I almost felt as if this were half a book. I guess I'll re-read book 4 & then start listening to the rest of the audio books, but I think I'll take a break & see if I like [b:Undead and Unwed|2181398|Undead and Unwed (Undead, #1)|MaryJanice Davidson|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21IlhWxBy9L._SL75_.jpg|2523603] as an audio book better than a regular one. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
A little busy, what with Were's, Shifters, Vamps, and a Vamp political structure that is more info than I needed at this point. However, a good, quick read. Sort of setting the stage for what is to follow...
  Chaps | Jun 5, 2014 |

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my middle child, Timothy Schulz, who told me flatly he wanted a book all to himself.
My Thanks to Lisa Weissenbuehler, Kerie I, Nickle, Marie La Dalle, and the incomparable Doris Ann Norris for their input on car trunks, great and small. My further thanks to Janet Davis, Irene, and Sonya Stocklin, also cybercitizens of DorotyL, for their information on bars, bouree ( a card game), and the parish governments of Louisiana. Joan Coffey was most gracious with supplying information about Jackson. the wonderful and obliging Jane Lee drove me patiently around Jackson for many hours, entering thoroughly into the spirit of finding the perfect location for a vampire bar.
Bill was hunched over the computer when I let myself in his house.
From the back:

There's only one vampire Sookie Stackhouse is involved with (at least voluntarily) and that's Bill.

But recently he's been a little distant - in another state distant. His sinister and sexy boss, Eric, has an idea where to find him. Next thing Sookie knows, she is off to Jackson, Mississippi, to mingle with the under-underworld at Club Dead It's a dangerous little haunt where the elitist vampire society can go to chill out and suck down some type O. But when Sookie finally finds Bill - caught in an act of Serious betrayal - she's not sure whether to saved him...or sharpen some stakes.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441010512, Mass Market Paperback)

Sookie's boyfriend has been very distant-in another state, distant. Now she's off to Mississippi to mingle with the underworld at Club Dead-a little haunt where the vampire elite go to chill out. But when she finally finds Bill—caught in an act of betrayal—she's not sure whether to save him...or sharpen some stakes.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:30 -0400)

Sookie's boyfriend has been very distant-in another state, distant. Now she's off to Mississippi to mingle with the underworld at Club Dead-a little haunt where the vampire elite go to chill out. But when she finally finds Bill-caught in an act of betrayal-she's not sure whether to save him...or sharpen some stakes.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,352,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible