Club Dead (Southern Vampire Mysteries, Book…

Club Dead (Southern Vampire Mysteries, Book 3) (edition 2003)

by Charlaine Harris

Member:MusicLovinMama
Title:Club Dead (Southern Vampire Mysteries, Book 3)
Authors:Charlaine Harris
Info:Ace Books (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 258 pages

Club Dead by Charlaine Harris

Recently added byPowerschnute, EBassett, rena75, dcworsham, DajiBooks, private library

English (237)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (240)
Reread Dec 2018/jan 2019
I gave it 4 stars many years ago. I'm not sure what to give it now.

I like this one better than the first 2 books. But I don't love it as much as I used to. I'm noticing all these little things that bother me this time around and omg there are some horrible sentences in these books. I also keep getting the feeling that the author thinks we can't figure anything out for ourselves, because even really obvious things are explained.
These books also have a bit of rapey vibe. I get that they're vampires. But when you're trying to sell a romance.. Have the hero pretty much have sex with the woman without her consent (and not just in this book either) is NOT romantic and shouldn't be romantized.

It's entertaining over all and Sookie is developing into a more well rounded character. But the things above just keep bothering me. I didn't even notice them as a teen (which is also why it's not okay to set this as a romantic example). ( )
  CielCat | Feb 6, 2019 |
This review is full of spoilers.
This review is posted on my blog

I liked this Sookie Stackhouse book better than the previous two. I liked the relationship between Alcide and Sookie, maybe because they didn't just jump into it declaring their love from the get go. I don't really enjoy Bill as a character and even less so as one half of Sookie's love life. I think that he is a fictionalized image of an abusive, and controlling relationship.
This book held my attention much more so than the previous two, and didn't seem to drag on quite as much.
I continue to enjoy that 'unique' southern voice that Sookie brings to the story. It isn't apologetic and careful like so many books these days, afraid to offend anyone. It feels closer to what people from small towns thoughts would be.
I will continue this series at least until the next book, although this is not one of those series that just scream to be finished. I will probably eventually finish them, but I'll most likely need to take a few breaks.

I would recommend this to anyone who enjoyed The Vampire Diaries books, or the Beautiful Creatures series.
Even though this is shelved/categorized as a mystery, I would not recommend this as a book to someone who is looking for a mystery. I also would probably not recommend this to anyone looking for a "serious" read, for lack of a better term. It was a little bit on the cheesey side, with some 'guilty pleasure' aspects to it.

Overall though this was not a terrible book, and there are significant improvements from books one and two (mainly, the fact that it got away from the unassailable couple of perfection trap). ( )
  AngelaRenea | Jan 12, 2019 |
"In "Club Dead" (book 3), trouble comes for Sookie & Bill's relationship in the shape of Bill's ex-girlfriend, named Lorena. Also ... it doesn't help that Bill turns into a prick either. However, when Bill doesn't turn up when he's supposed to Eric asks Sookie to go undercover to save him. ...... 5 out of 5 stars ... great ending!!!!"

Read more of this review here: https://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2009/12/you-got-me-runnin-baby-wild-a... ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Jan 1, 2019 |
I like this book because it intros the wolves and other shapeshifters into the story. It sucks about Sookie and Bill, but it leaves it open for the next book. (hee hee) You have to read to find out. ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Nov 29, 2018 |
The Sookie Stackhouse books are fantastic in audiobook form. Perfect for a long drive. They aren't so complicated that one becomes distracted while driving, but interesting enough that the time passes much faster. So far this is my favorite of the three that I have listened to. ( )
  Max_Tardiff | Oct 29, 2018 |

Guarnieri AnnaritaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Luengo, LorenzoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weisz BöbeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my middle child, Timothy Schulz, who told me flatly he wanted a book all to himself.
My Thanks to Lisa Weissenbuehler, Kerie I, Nickle, Marie La Dalle, and the incomparable Doris Ann Norris for their input on car trunks, great and small. My further thanks to Janet Davis, Irene, and Sonya Stocklin, also cybercitizens of DorotyL, for their information on bars, bouree ( a card game), and the parish governments of Louisiana. Joan Coffey was most gracious with supplying information about Jackson. the wonderful and obliging Jane Lee drove me patiently around Jackson for many hours, entering thoroughly into the spirit of finding the perfect location for a vampire bar.
Bill was hunched over the computer when I let myself in his house.
From the back:

There's only one vampire Sookie Stackhouse is involved with (at least voluntarily) and that's Bill.

But recently he's been a little distant - in another state distant. His sinister and sexy boss, Eric, has an idea where to find him. Next thing Sookie knows, she is off to Jackson, Mississippi, to mingle with the under-underworld at Club Dead It's a dangerous little haunt where the elitist vampire society can go to chill out and suck down some type O. But when Sookie finally finds Bill - caught in an act of Serious betrayal - she's not sure whether to saved him...or sharpen some stakes.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441010512, Mass Market Paperback)

Sookie's boyfriend has been very distant-in another state, distant. Now she's off to Mississippi to mingle with the underworld at Club Dead-a little haunt where the vampire elite go to chill out. But when she finally finds Bill—caught in an act of betrayal—she's not sure whether to save him...or sharpen some stakes.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:47 -0400)

Sookie's boyfriend has been very distant-in another state, distant. Now she's off to Mississippi to mingle with the underworld at Club Dead-a little haunt where the vampire elite go to chill out. But when she finally finds Bill-caught in an act of betrayal-she's not sure whether to save him ... or sharpen some stakes.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,418,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible