Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood,…

Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood, Book 3) (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Charlaine Harris

Member:Dannelke
Title:Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood, Book 3)
Authors:Charlaine Harris
Info:Ace Books (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 258 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:horror, fiction, Sookie Stackhouse

Club Dead by Charlaine Harris (2003)

English (220)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (224)
Club Dead takes place at the beginning of December. Bill is working on a computer program and tells Sookie that he will have to travel to Seattle, alone. Days later, a werewolf attacks Sookie at Merlotte’s, but Bubba, who has been sent by Eric to protect Sookie, kills the attacker before he can seriously hurt Sookie. Later that night, Eric, Pam and Chow inform Sookie that Bill has actually been in Mississippi because Lorena, Bill's former lover (and maker, as you later find out), had summoned him. Eric tells Sookie that Bill had called saying he was shortly going to come back to Bon Temps, but did not tell Sookie, so he could arrange her future care before he saw her again. Eric also tells Sookie that the queen does not know about Bill’s disappearance and that Eric needs to produce Bill’s project by its due date without compromising his life and his job. Eric thinks Bill is still alive in Mississippi and believes that Lorena has betrayed and kidnapped Bill. Eric cannot interrogate humans and vampires that are under the protection of the vampire king of Mississippi, Russell Edgington, without starting a war. He asks Sookie if she is willing to go to Jackson and “pick the brains” among the king’s human employees and Sookie agrees to go.

Alcide Herveaux, a werewolf (Were) from Shreveport, is sent by Eric the following day to take Sookie to Jackson and to help her circulate among the supernatural community. In Jackson, Sookie not only has to deal with the vampires of Mississippi, but she becomes entangled with a bounty hunting werewolf pack. In Sookie’s first visit to a vampire bar called Josephine’s (also known within the shapeshifting community as Club Dead) she learns that Bill has been captured and that Russell Edgington might be involved. She personally meets Russell when a bar patron and bounty hunter werewolf named Jerry Falcon mangles her because Sookie rebuffs his sexual advances. On the same night, Sookie meets Debbie Pelt, Alcide’s ex-girlfriend and a shapeshifter who is mean-spirited and jealous at seeing Alcide with another woman (despite Debbie being at the bar for her engagement party to another man). The next day, Sookie and Alcide find the dead body of Jerry Falcon stuffed in the closet. It is later discovered that Bubba had caught Jerry entering Alcide’s home and killed him.

On the following night, Sookie, back at Club Dead, gets badly injured when Steve Newlin and another fanatic of The Fellowship of the Sun (the vampire-hating organization, introduced in Living Dead in Dallas) try to stake Betty Joe, Edgington’s second in command. Sookie gets staked instead and she is quickly rushed to Edgington’s mansion. Eric, in disguise, is there to help her as Alcide turns into a wolf to pursue the escaping Steve Newlin. After her wounds were treated by a vampire, Sookie and Eric shared an intimate momment only to be interrupted by Bubba. Bubba, who has been following Sookie from Bon Temps, informs them that Bill is being tortured in Edgington’s pool house.

Sookie and Eric quickly formed a plan to be carried out in daylight while all of the vampires are sleeping and the Werewolf guards are inattentive due to being tired from their activities of the previous night (which was a full moon). Eric gives Sookie his blood to help her heal and for her to be able to move quickly. Sookie rescues Bill and kills Lorena in the process. Back in Alcide’s parking garage, with Bill sleeping in the trunk of her car, Sookie is pushed into the trunk by Debbie Pelt. At dusk, Bill, who has been deprived of blood and sleep for several weeks, wakes up, feeds on Sookie, and then rapes her. His consciousness awakes partway through and he apologizes and withdraws from Sookie. After such a long day, Sookie asks Eric to drive her home, but her night is not over as they are attacked at a gas station on the road from Jackson to Bon Temps, and then she is severely hurt when she finds werewolves waiting for her in her own home. Eric and Bill kill them all. The novel ends with Sookie breaking up with Bill and then rescinding her invitation to her house to both Eric and Bill. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
Club Dead takes place at the beginning of December. Bill is working on a computer program and tells Sookie that he will have to travel to Seattle, alone. Days later, a werewolf attacks Sookie at Merlotte 19s, but Bubba, who has been sent by Eric to protect Sookie, kills the attacker before he can seriously hurt Sookie. Later that night, Eric, Pam and Chow inform Sookie that Bill has actually been in Mississippi because Lorena, Bill's former lover (and maker, as you later find out), had summoned him. Eric tells Sookie that Bill had called saying he was shortly going to come back to Bon Temps, but did not tell Sookie, so he could arrange her future care before he saw her again. Eric also tells Sookie that the queen does not know about Bill 19s disappearance and that Eric needs to produce Bill 19s project by its due date without compromising his life and his job. Eric thinks Bill is still alive in Mississippi and believes that Lorena has betrayed and kidnapped Bill. Eric cannot interrogate humans and vampires that are under the protection of the vampire king of Mississippi, Russell Edgington, without starting a war. He asks Sookie if she is willing to go to Jackson and 1Cpick the brains 1D among the king 19s human employees and Sookie agrees to go.

Alcide Herveaux, a werewolf (Were) from Shreveport, is sent by Eric the following day to take Sookie to Jackson and to help her circulate among the supernatural community. In Jackson, Sookie not only has to deal with the vampires of Mississippi, but she becomes entangled with a bounty hunting werewolf pack. In Sookie 19s first visit to a vampire bar called Josephine 19s (also known within the shapeshifting community as Club Dead) she learns that Bill has been captured and that Russell Edgington might be involved. She personally meets Russell when a bar patron and bounty hunter werewolf named Jerry Falcon mangles her because Sookie rebuffs his sexual advances. On the same night, Sookie meets Debbie Pelt, Alcide 19s ex-girlfriend and a shapeshifter who is mean-spirited and jealous at seeing Alcide with another woman (despite Debbie being at the bar for her engagement party to another man). The next day, Sookie and Alcide find the dead body of Jerry Falcon stuffed in the closet. It is later discovered that Bubba had caught Jerry entering Alcide 19s home and killed him.

On the following night, Sookie, back at Club Dead, gets badly injured when Steve Newlin and another fanatic of The Fellowship of the Sun (the vampire-hating organization, introduced in Living Dead in Dallas) try to stake Betty Joe, Edgington 19s second in command. Sookie gets staked instead and she is quickly rushed to Edgington 19s mansion. Eric, in disguise, is there to help her as Alcide turns into a wolf to pursue the escaping Steve Newlin. After her wounds were treated by a vampire, Sookie and Eric shared an intimate momment only to be interrupted by Bubba. Bubba, who has been following Sookie from Bon Temps, informs them that Bill is being tortured in Edgington 19s pool house.

Sookie and Eric quickly formed a plan to be carried out in daylight while all of the vampires are sleeping and the Werewolf guards are inattentive due to being tired from their activities of the previous night (which was a full moon). Eric gives Sookie his blood to help her heal and for her to be able to move quickly. Sookie rescues Bill and kills Lorena in the process. Back in Alcide 19s parking garage, with Bill sleeping in the trunk of her car, Sookie is pushed into the trunk by Debbie Pelt. At dusk, Bill, who has been deprived of blood and sleep for several weeks, wakes up, feeds on Sookie, and then rapes her. His consciousness awakes partway through and he apologizes and withdraws from Sookie. After such a long day, Sookie asks Eric to drive her home, but her night is not over as they are attacked at a gas station on the road from Jackson to Bon Temps, and then she is severely hurt when she finds werewolves waiting for her in her own home. Eric and Bill kill them all. The novel ends with Sookie breaking up with Bill and then rescinding her invitation to her house to both Eric and Bill. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
Another terrific book ( )
  joem0601 | Mar 5, 2016 |
I'm slowly moving through this series. If I had all of the books at my fingertips I suspect I'd zip through them in no time but alas, the budget allows for only so many books at a time. :( Anyway, aside from a tedious lead in, which I noticed in the second book as well, I was sucked once again into Sookie's drama. Despite some areas where the writing (to me) is less than stellar, (hence the 4 star rating) I still could not put this down. Read it in two days. Which for me, with very little time for reading, is saying something. I think Harris does a brilliant job with characterization. Despite the awkward bits which I couldn't help but notice, I continued to read, eager to spend just a little more time with these whackjobs. So my thoughts on this installment:

Bill is growing tiresome. I hope that she either gets rid of him or injects a spark of something in him. No, I am not watching True Blood until I finish the series. I'm weird that way. As soon as I'm done, to Walmart I go to buy the seasons on DVD. No, don't tell me what happens.

Eric, God I love Eric. What is it about these bad boys?

Pam intrigues me, as does this Chow character.

Alcide (did I spell that right?) is a character I hope to see more of. Never have I read a book (or even watched a show) where I was yelling "Just do him!" I was a little embarrassed when my husband looked up from his hockey game to determine who was doing what to whom.

Sam, ugh. Somebody throw Sam a rope. I loved him in the first book, didn't really think much in the second but the poor man is so...boring in Club Dead. It's like he just grew old and gave up.

Russell was a delight and his house of...gentlemen was amusing. Bubba, who doesn't love Bubba? He's visited Tweed now and again too.

Plot? Sookie needs to shit or get off the pot. I hope in the next book she does something other than hate Bill, love Bill, hate Bill, almost sleep with Eric, love Bill. I can honestly say no matter how brilliant the characters, if this keeps up much longer I don't know if I'll make it through the entire series.

I also thought the rather fast wrap up and resolution after rescuing Bill was...weak. I mean, they were torturing him because they wanted this information so badly. Come on! Going against Vampire whatever and torturing one of their own means these are some badass mo-fo's, and then a HUMAN rescues him and all they can say is "No harm, eh dude? So, uh, how about we make a deal on this information you have. You know, like civilized beings. Um, kind of like we could have done all along? Oh, this guy we're about to crucify is Elvis? Well shit, that changes everything. Halt the crucifiction! Get me the velour suit from the attic. The King is in the house. *squee!*"

Yeah, that really irritated me. I have noticed though, in the previous two books that issues, conflict, etc. seems to get resolved rather fast and in ways that seem kind of contrived.

Why four out of five stars if I have so many nits? Because I still loved it and eagerly started the next book before even writing this review. The author has done her job. I'm just pointing out what would have prompted five stars. But I highly recommend these books so far. ( )
1 vote ReneeMiller | Feb 25, 2016 |
My favorite in the series so far. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my middle child, Timothy Schulz, who told me flatly he wanted a book all to himself.
My Thanks to Lisa Weissenbuehler, Kerie I, Nickle, Marie La Dalle, and the incomparable Doris Ann Norris for their input on car trunks, great and small. My further thanks to Janet Davis, Irene, and Sonya Stocklin, also cybercitizens of DorotyL, for their information on bars, bouree ( a card game), and the parish governments of Louisiana. Joan Coffey was most gracious with supplying information about Jackson. the wonderful and obliging Jane Lee drove me patiently around Jackson for many hours, entering thoroughly into the spirit of finding the perfect location for a vampire bar.
Bill was hunched over the computer when I let myself in his house.
From the back:

There's only one vampire Sookie Stackhouse is involved with (at least voluntarily) and that's Bill.

But recently he's been a little distant - in another state distant. His sinister and sexy boss, Eric, has an idea where to find him. Next thing Sookie knows, she is off to Jackson, Mississippi, to mingle with the under-underworld at Club Dead It's a dangerous little haunt where the elitist vampire society can go to chill out and suck down some type O. But when Sookie finally finds Bill - caught in an act of Serious betrayal - she's not sure whether to saved him...or sharpen some stakes.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441010512, Mass Market Paperback)

Sookie's boyfriend has been very distant-in another state, distant. Now she's off to Mississippi to mingle with the underworld at Club Dead-a little haunt where the vampire elite go to chill out. But when she finally finds Bill—caught in an act of betrayal—she's not sure whether to save him...or sharpen some stakes.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:47 -0400)

Sookie's boyfriend has been very distant-in another state, distant. Now she's off to Mississippi to mingle with the underworld at Club Dead-a little haunt where the vampire elite go to chill out. But when she finally finds Bill-caught in an act of betrayal-she's not sure whether to save him...or sharpen some stakes.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,886,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible