Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Living Dead in Dallas

by Charlaine Harris

Series: Sookie Stackhouse (2)

Living Dead in Dallas is the sequel to Dead Until Dark in the new Southern Vampire series from acclaimed mystery author Charlaine Harris. When a vampire asks Sookie Stackhouse to use her telepathic skills to find another missing vampire, she agrees under one condition: the bloodsuckers must promise to let the humans go unharmed. Easier said than done.… (more)
Recently added byArina40, tyranist, StwaberryJelly, private library, JuliW, BelindaMGordon

English (290)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (294)
Still like the books more than the HBO show. ( )
  Alisha2335 | Nov 8, 2020 |
I enjoyed this book immensly. It was better than the first book and I believe this series is going continue to be good.
This book was a lot faster baced and that was one of the reasons why I liked it more compared to the first book.
In these novels, the characters are enjoyable and just simply good. I quite like Sookie in the books although she's not my favorite character in the TV series and I in general, I somehow find the characters to be more real in the books than in the TV series no matter how weird that might sound.
All in all, this book was great and I cannot wait to read more books from this series. ( )
  AllAndAnyBooks | Sep 17, 2020 |
I wish we could get more back story on the vamps! Am I expecting too much? ( )
  Chrissylou62 | Aug 1, 2020 |
This book taught me the word "bosomy," and I had occasion to use that descriptor in a sentence today at work, and I hope I did, but now I'm afraid that in my haste to get the thought out I may have used the less glamorous "buxom" or "busty." The important thing to remember is, Sookie Stackhouse has large breasts. Don't worry if you forget, the author will tell you again within a couple of pages.

In all seriousness, I love that the protagonist is genuinely uneducated, and it shows, but she's quick witted and not dumb at all; she uses the word "refute" in a sentence, then reflects that she learned it from her word-a-day calendar. This makes me feel a kind of kinship with the character, because I, too, am proud to have learned a word ("bosomy") from this book.

Bosomy.
  CatherineMachineGun | Jul 31, 2020 |
Living Dead In Dallas is the second novel in the Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire series. It takes up her story not long after the events of Dead Until Dark finished. Part mystery, part romance, the storyline concentrates on Sookie’s relationship with her vampire boyfriend, Bill, and Sookie’s adventures solving mysteries. The first part of the book introduces the Fellowship of the Sun, an unpleasant anti-vampire pseudo-church. The Fellowship believes that all vampires are evil and must die, and they recruit suicidal vampires to kill themselves publicly by "meeting the sun" in full view of their congregation. This book in the series played more on the humans in the novel but did introduce a Maenad who attacks Sookie and sends a “message” to the vampires.

Bill is more subdued in this book and his senior vampire, Eric is a stronger presence. I love Sookie's interactions with Eric, who continues to be a lot more interesting than Bill. Eric is lots of fun. I really like Sookie. She's neither too smart nor too dumb. She relies on her Word of the Day calendar, her copious reading of genre fiction, especially mystery, her knowledge of movies, and her common sense to figure things out, often long before the supposedly superior vampires do.

This isn't a series I ever expected to like. I've never seen the TV show and I've only read two of the books, usually when one of my reading challenges asks for a book with a vampire in it. I've listened to both of them and the narrator, Johanna Parker, is so great at making this character come alive. I think I'll listen to more of them because they are so very funny. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jul 2, 2020 |

Guarniieri, AnnaritaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murello, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to all the people who told me they enjoyed Dead Until Dark. Thanks for the encouragement.
Andy Bellefleur was as drunk as a skunk.

Easier said than done.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,542,957 books! | Top bar: Always visible