Living Dead In Dallas by Charlaine Harris

Living Dead In Dallas (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Charlaine Harris

Member:bgale11
Title:Living Dead In Dallas
Authors:Charlaine Harris
Info:Ace (2002), Paperback

Living Dead In Dallas by Charlaine Harris (2002)

Recently added bykrazykiwi, private library, AveNegron, petertru91, Aneris, Spiderg1rl, HoffmanistanLibrary

English (261)  French (2)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (267)
Not much to say about this book except that it is a great continuation to the Sookie Stackhouse story. I love the narrator on the audio book and some of this book made me laugh out loud. I always recommend this series. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Love this series of books so far. Started as a fan of the HBO True Blood series, and so had to check out the books. So glad I listened to myself. I haven't been disappointed in a single book yet. Looking forward to reading more ( )
  BethMcV69 | Jun 17, 2016 |
Being addicted to this series, when three came in the mailbox at once, I delightfully devoured them back-to-back. No, I didn't get needed sleep, so fortunately I was off work that day.

There are two major mysteries for the price of one. First, Sookie discovers the dead body of Merlotte's cook, Lafayette, in the back of Andy Bellefluer's car outside the bar one morning. Determined to solve the murder of her friend - and clear Andy's name, although that's not the biggest priority since the two families dislike each other - things get even more complicated when boyfriend Bill's boss, Eric, summons the two to go to Dallas and help a head vampire discover where his missing "brother" has gone. The latter plot takes up the majority of the book, and is the first mystery to go. Accompanied by Bill and running into Eric, it's stressful times to be had as Sookie winds up in trouble with a radical anti-vampire group.

As always, reading about Sookie's adventures is a delight. She's a down to earth, southern girl with an unusual ability that makes her desirable to all supernatural creatures. Her relationship with Bill is still sweet to this point, with them having a minor obstacle and jealousy running supreme. My hormones speed up again with Eric's scenes, as his humorous flirting and determined seduction is my favorite area of the books. There's a vampire I wouldn't turn away!

There are many scenes that stand out with supreme enjoyment. First, when Sookie must enlist in the aide of the vamps to heal her wounds from the beastly creature of the woods; what discomfort she felt, but how funny the moment. Another great time was with Eric outside the hotel room while Bill and Sookie resumed their frisky nature - too cute! Stan and Bill looking at Sookie like she offered them a Big Mac by mentioning the potential bug in the room (have to love the way Harris wrote that one), Eric asking Sookie to yield on the top of the car outside the cabin, Sookie and Bill discovering the 'new vampire in town' in front of Stan, all were moments that stood out and made this book as great as it is.

The interactions between the two vampires regarding Sookie is hysterical, and I especially loved the ending "orgy" scene. No, not an orgy with Sookie and the vamps, but going to an awkward orgy to try and solve Lafayettes' death. I went between covering my face in discomfort, giggling at the absurdity of it all, to groaning at certain aspects of Sookie and Eric's interaction. Fun times!

The 'master vampire' - even if they're not called that in the Sookie world - Stan, was interesting too. Not anywhere near erotic, he was still an intriguing character I wouldn't mind seeing more of in the future. I enjoyed the strange interaction Sookie had with Andy and sister Portia, as seeing how she's shunned from the community because of her ability is a great obstacle in the series. Sam was a great character again, even if his part did take a slight backstage one. I was surprised with his feelings toward the maenad, though.

Harris writes a book that's quick and easy to read, accurately portraying Sookie's feelings. You feel what she feels, and there's plenty of times you'll be laughing out loud from her internal monologue. I wouldn't have guessed what happened in either mysteries, so the story's were tightly woven enough to where they weren't predictable, and the character interaction is what really made everything so interesting.

As before there are some hot sex scenes, but thankfully they in no way make up a bulk of the story, choosing instead to compliment the story and not take from it. Violence wise there's nothing dramatically bad, but of course there's a certain degree of blood and death involved. (This story does involve supernatural creatures, after all).

So, let's see, I've covered the story depth, writing style, characters, blood level, sex level, and hormone surges. I'm still not sure how I feel with Bill's revelation toward the end about his long-lost family, but no book is perfect. (I also still get slightly irritated when Sookie says grandmama, I always hated that word, and "gonna" too much.) Nothing much left to say except that if you're not reading this series, you're missing out on a wonderful world of supernatural creatures determined to worm their way into your head. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
I've changed since I read the first book in the series. I just figure there's so many books more worth reading than this one. ( )
  zombiehero | Mar 25, 2016 |
This book opens with Sookie Stackhouse finding the dead body of Lafayette in the backseat of Andy Bellefleur's car, which had been left at Merlotte's the night before. Sookie learns that her friend had recently attended a local sex party. She thinks the members of that group might know something about her friend's murder so she starts "listening" to people's thoughts by using her special mind reading talent while working at the local bar.

In the meantime, Bill Compton, Sookie's vampire boyfriend, informs her that they have been summoned by Eric Northman. As a way to get Eric's attention, a maenad known as Callisto attacks Sookie on their way to Fangtasia, Eric's vampire bar. Sookie's wounds are poisoned, and she is healed by a combination of Dr. Ludwig's special treatment, and blood drainings by Eric, Pam, Chow, and Bill. Sookie is later given a fresh transfusion of human blood.[2] Eric informs Bill and Sookie that they need to go to Dallas to help the local vampire leader, Stan Davis, to find his missing "brother," Farrell, who has not returned to Davis' nest for five days.

The Dallas vampires, Sookie, and Bill learn that The Fellowship of the Sun (FotS) as well as a "renouncer" vampire named Godfrey might be behind the disappearance. Sookie decides to go to the FotS church with Hugo, Stan's human lawyer, in an undercover mission. Sookie discovers that Hugo is a traitor, but her cover is quickly exposed when they meet Steve and Sarah Newlin, and she is badly hurt while trying to escape from the church. She does escape with the help of Luna, a shapeshifter, and Godfrey (who turns out to be a remorseful child molester and killer). After a run-in with more Supes, including an undercover doctor at a local hospital and some werewolves, Sookie ends up back at the FotS to be with Godfrey as he "meets the sun." That night at the welcome home party for Farrell, Stan's house is attacked by the FotS and many humans die. Sookie, unable to locate Bill, helps Eric remove a silver bullet that he took protecting her from the gunfire; he insists the only safe way to remove it is to suck the bullet out. In doing so, she ingests a few drops of his blood inadvertently. Bill returns soon after; he had chased down members of the FotS. He reveals to Sookie that Eric's insistence on sucking out the bullets was just a ruse to get her to ingest some of his blood—now he will have a connection with her. Sookie is furious at Eric. She is also angry at Bill because he killed someone and did not check on her before beginning his pursuit of the FotS. Sookie leaves the house and immediately flies back to Bon Temps.

Back in Bon Temps, Sookie avoids Bill for several weeks during which Bill "dates" Portia Bellefleur, who is trying to find out more about the sex club in an effort to clear her brother Andy of any connection to the murder. After seeing Sookie at a football game with Tara, Benedict "Eggs" Talley (Tara's fiancé), and JB du Rone (another male friend), Bill follows Sookie home and they passionately reconcile.

The next day, Sookie is invited to a secret sex party organized by Mike Spencer. Afraid to go alone, Sookie asks Eric to accompany her as Bill is out of town. At the sex party, Sookie is surprised to see her friend Tara and Eggs and learns that Mike and Tom Hardaway murdered Lafayette. The party is interrupted when Bill, Andy Bellefleur, Sam (in collie form), and the maenad Callisto gather in front of the house. The maenad enjoys the drunkenness and lust of the party participants and eventually kills Mike, Tom and his wife, and another local named Jan. Bill and Eric burn the house, and Eric glamors Tara and Eggs so that she will be unable to remember what happened at the sex party. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Desimini,LisaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fusari, ErikaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to all the people who told me they enjoyed Dead Until Dark. Thanks for the encouragement.
Andy Bellefleur was as drunk as a skunk.
Easier said than done.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441009239, Mass Market Paperback)

Visit our Sookie Stackhouse series feature page.

Easier said than done.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:14 -0400)

Living Dead in Dallas is the sequel to Dead Until Dark in the new Southern Vampire series from acclaimed mystery author Charlaine Harris. When a vampire asks Sookie Stackhouse to use her telepathic skills to find another missing vampire, she agrees under one condition: the bloodsuckers must promise to let the humans go unharmed. Easier said than done.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,334,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible