Living Dead In Dallas by Charlaine Harris

Living Dead In Dallas (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Charlaine Harris

Member:bgale11
Title:Living Dead In Dallas
Authors:Charlaine Harris
Info:Ace (2002), Paperback

Living Dead In Dallas by Charlaine Harris (2002)

English (258)  French (2)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (264)
I've changed since I read the first book in the series. I just figure there's so many books more worth reading than this one. ( )
  zombiehero | Mar 25, 2016 |
This book opens with Sookie Stackhouse finding the dead body of Lafayette in the backseat of Andy Bellefleur's car, which had been left at Merlotte's the night before. Sookie learns that her friend had recently attended a local sex party. She thinks the members of that group might know something about her friend's murder so she starts "listening" to people's thoughts by using her special mind reading talent while working at the local bar.

In the meantime, Bill Compton, Sookie's vampire boyfriend, informs her that they have been summoned by Eric Northman. As a way to get Eric's attention, a maenad known as Callisto attacks Sookie on their way to Fangtasia, Eric's vampire bar. Sookie's wounds are poisoned, and she is healed by a combination of Dr. Ludwig's special treatment, and blood drainings by Eric, Pam, Chow, and Bill. Sookie is later given a fresh transfusion of human blood.[2] Eric informs Bill and Sookie that they need to go to Dallas to help the local vampire leader, Stan Davis, to find his missing "brother," Farrell, who has not returned to Davis' nest for five days.

The Dallas vampires, Sookie, and Bill learn that The Fellowship of the Sun (FotS) as well as a "renouncer" vampire named Godfrey might be behind the disappearance. Sookie decides to go to the FotS church with Hugo, Stan's human lawyer, in an undercover mission. Sookie discovers that Hugo is a traitor, but her cover is quickly exposed when they meet Steve and Sarah Newlin, and she is badly hurt while trying to escape from the church. She does escape with the help of Luna, a shapeshifter, and Godfrey (who turns out to be a remorseful child molester and killer). After a run-in with more Supes, including an undercover doctor at a local hospital and some werewolves, Sookie ends up back at the FotS to be with Godfrey as he "meets the sun." That night at the welcome home party for Farrell, Stan's house is attacked by the FotS and many humans die. Sookie, unable to locate Bill, helps Eric remove a silver bullet that he took protecting her from the gunfire; he insists the only safe way to remove it is to suck the bullet out. In doing so, she ingests a few drops of his blood inadvertently. Bill returns soon after; he had chased down members of the FotS. He reveals to Sookie that Eric's insistence on sucking out the bullets was just a ruse to get her to ingest some of his blood—now he will have a connection with her. Sookie is furious at Eric. She is also angry at Bill because he killed someone and did not check on her before beginning his pursuit of the FotS. Sookie leaves the house and immediately flies back to Bon Temps.

Back in Bon Temps, Sookie avoids Bill for several weeks during which Bill "dates" Portia Bellefleur, who is trying to find out more about the sex club in an effort to clear her brother Andy of any connection to the murder. After seeing Sookie at a football game with Tara, Benedict "Eggs" Talley (Tara's fiancé), and JB du Rone (another male friend), Bill follows Sookie home and they passionately reconcile.

The next day, Sookie is invited to a secret sex party organized by Mike Spencer. Afraid to go alone, Sookie asks Eric to accompany her as Bill is out of town. At the sex party, Sookie is surprised to see her friend Tara and Eggs and learns that Mike and Tom Hardaway murdered Lafayette. The party is interrupted when Bill, Andy Bellefleur, Sam (in collie form), and the maenad Callisto gather in front of the house. The maenad enjoys the drunkenness and lust of the party participants and eventually kills Mike, Tom and his wife, and another local named Jan. Bill and Eric burn the house, and Eric glamors Tara and Eggs so that she will be unable to remember what happened at the sex party. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
excellent characters ( )
  joem0601 | Mar 5, 2016 |
Gotta give this one four stars as well. Now, some of the events of this one are...wow, how do I say this...weird. But, I like weird and I'm willing to suspend disbelief when I'm enjoying the book so much. Again, dialogue is very awkward in places, and occasionally I'd have liked the setting to have been done more naturally (meaning not so noticably) but the action rarely lulled in this book and I couldn't put it down because I HAD to know what would happen. I'm sensing a possible thing with Eric and Sookie. No! Don't tell me, I want to find out on my own. It might be the major thing driving me to read the next one.

The orgy scene was just plain strange. I'm not sure what to make of it. Am I completely naive, or is that how those things really play out? If so, I'm glad I've never attended one because I had something completely different pictured in my mind. And Eric and the spandex? Really? I'd think a few people would have been like 'Hey, bicycle guy, this is an orgy, not the Tour De France.' but that's just me and my issues with spandex. Eric is still my favorite character.

But still, the fact that I'm into the story enough to want to question and discuss these things means again, the writer did her job. I had fun reading and that doesn't often happen. One star is gone because of the dialogue and setting, if we could use half stars, I might have take 1.5 off, but we can't, so I didn't.

If you're wanting a fun read, pure escapism, then definitely check out this series. Or at least the first two books, I can't speak for the rest of them. ( )
1 vote ReneeMiller | Feb 25, 2016 |
As expected, fun, light reading.
You know, I really like what the TV show did with Lafayette's character, as opposed to what happened here.

This is the one where:
*Sookie discovers a dead body in Andy Bellefleur's car and is compelled to solve the mystery of who committed the murder.
*Sookie's 'loaned out' for her talent to the vampires of Dallas and gets to see the Big City.
*The Fellowship of the Sun cult is introduced.

AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Desimini,LisaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fusari, ErikaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to all the people who told me they enjoyed Dead Until Dark. Thanks for the encouragement.
Andy Bellefleur was as drunk as a skunk.
Easier said than done.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441009239, Mass Market Paperback)

Visit our Sookie Stackhouse series feature page.

Easier said than done.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:14 -0400)

Living Dead in Dallas is the sequel to Dead Until Dark in the new Southern Vampire series from acclaimed mystery author Charlaine Harris. When a vampire asks Sookie Stackhouse to use her telepathic skills to find another missing vampire, she agrees under one condition: the bloodsuckers must promise to let the humans go unharmed. Easier said than done.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible