Living Dead In Dallas: A True Blood Novel by…

Living Dead In Dallas: A True Blood Novel (original 2002; edition 2010)

by Charlaine Harris

8,620264354 (3.81)287
Member:TeaAndBiscuits
Title:Living Dead In Dallas: A True Blood Novel
Authors:Charlaine Harris
Info:Gollancz (2010), Edition: Mass Market Paperback, Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:***1/2

Living Dead In Dallas by Charlaine Harris (2002)

English (254)  French (2)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (260)
As expected, fun, light reading.
You know, I really like what the TV show did with Lafayette's character, as opposed to what happened here.

This is the one where:
*Sookie discovers a dead body in Andy Bellefleur's car and is compelled to solve the mystery of who committed the murder.
*Sookie's 'loaned out' for her talent to the vampires of Dallas and gets to see the Big City.
*The Fellowship of the Sun cult is introduced.

AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
I really wanted to like this book. I really tried to separate it from the TV show but the TV show is just better.

I did not like the portrayal of Godfrey. I did not like the fact that we miss out on so much of what other characters are going through. I got really sick of Sookie and her obsession with her appearance and sex with Bill.

So disappointed. Won't be reading further into the series. ( )
  4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
Not bad! I really like True Blood better though. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
Enjoyed this, good mixture of mystery and supernatural. Lighter in tone than a lot of vampire stories. ( )
  SF_fan_mae | Jan 30, 2016 |
Living Dead In Dallas is the second novel in the Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire series. It takes up her story not long after the events of Dead Until Dark finished. Part mystery, part romance, the storyline concentrates on Sookie’s relationship with her vampire boyfriend, Bill, and Sookie’s adventures solving mysteries. The first part of the book introduces the Fellowship of the Sun, an unpleasant anti-vampire pseudo-church. The Fellowship believes that all vampires are evil and must die, and they recruit suicidal vampires to kill themselves publicly by "meeting the sun" in full view of their congregation. This book in the series played more on the humans in the novel but did introduce a Maenad who attacks Sookie and sends a “message” to the vampires.

Bill is more subdued in this book and his senior vampire, Eric is a stronger presence. I love Sookie's interactions with Eric, who continues to be a lot more interesting than Bill. Eric is tremendous fun. I really like Sookie. She's neither too smart nor too dumb. She relies on her Word of the Day calendar, her copious reading of genre fiction, especially mystery, her knowledge of movies, and her common sense to figure things out, often long before the supposedly superior vampires do.

This isn't a series I ever expected to like. I've never seen the TV show and I've only read two of the books, usually when one of my reading challenges asks for a book with a vampire in it. I've listened to both of them and the narrator, Johanna Parker, is so great at making this character come alive. I think I'll listen to more of them because they are so very funny. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to all the people who told me they enjoyed Dead Until Dark. Thanks for the encouragement.
Andy Bellefleur was as drunk as a skunk.
Easier said than done.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441009239, Mass Market Paperback)

Visit our Sookie Stackhouse series feature page.

Easier said than done.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:14 -0400)

Living Dead in Dallas is the sequel to Dead Until Dark in the new Southern Vampire series from acclaimed mystery author Charlaine Harris. When a vampire asks Sookie Stackhouse to use her telepathic skills to find another missing vampire, she agrees under one condition: the bloodsuckers must promise to let the humans go unharmed. Easier said than done.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,246,869 books! | Top bar: Always visible