Dead As a Doornail by Charlaine Harris

Dead As a Doornail

by Charlaine Harris

Other authors: Lisa Desimini (Cover artist)

Series: Southern Vampire Mysteries (5)

English (169)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (171)
Rereading this series has been quite eye opening for me. I didn't realize I've changed and grown so much over the past couple of years. This was my favorite book series for quite some time when I was a teen, during my pre-GR years. Read it again in 2013 and still loved it. I was never a huge fan of Bill, loved Eric and Pam. Loved Sookie. Couldn't stand Jason.

Some things remain the same. Still can't stand Jason and I still love Eric and Pam. But I loathe Bill and can't wait for him to leave when he shows up and I find Sookie quite shallow, narrow-minded, whiny and annoying.

The thing that bothers me most however, are all the inconsistencies in these books. How can you forgot your characters names? How can you forget complete words in sentences? How can you write about Sam waking up naked next to her on the bed and a little while later you're talking about how Sookie has never seen another man besides Bill naked? Even though you described Sookie staring at naked Sam for several pages.

And God.. That Bill. He's a possessive jerk and a rapist and we're all supposed to think it's cute he still shows up all the time? Just go away to Peru again, please and fall of the nearest mountain and wait for the sun to fry your ass.

This book was okay. not the best of the bunch, but let's face it.. It's hard to top sexy Eric with Amnesia.

I normally don't edit my ratings at a later date. But since I actually read it again and can't live with the 5 star rating I gave it many years ago... I'm changing it to 3 stars. ( )
  CielCat | Feb 6, 2019 |
"... and I just have to say I don't like it. He was an asshole and now ...... if they want to be friends fine. But I hope that's as much that happens between them. *crossing fingers* This one I gave 4 out of 5 stars."

Read more of this review here: https://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2009/12/you-got-me-runnin-baby-wild-a... ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Jan 1, 2019 |
There is alot going on in this book. Sookie has alot to learn about men and she is learning it fast in this book. It seems there is somethign about Sooke that all the non human males want. You find out some stuff that hurts, but the story is great and if you read the other books you want to check this one out. ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Nov 29, 2018 |
#5 in the Sookie Stackhouse series. In this one someone is hunting down the weres and shooting them. Sam is one of the one who is shot. With Sam on the mend a vampire in Eric's service comes to help out at the bar. Sookie's house is set on fire by an arsonist and Alcede offers to help. But Alcede also has other intentions his dad is up for Packmaster of the Shreveport pack. Fairly fast paced and keeps you guessing who has done what clear up to the end. ( )
  ChrisWeir | Sep 30, 2018 |

Mümmler, BrittaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steponavičiūtė, Rūtasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Doremalen, Jessicasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to a wonderful woman I don't get to see often enough. Janet Hutchings (then an editor at Walker, now editor of Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine) was brave enough to take me on many years ago after I'd taken a long sabbatical from writing. God bless her.
Janet Hutchings
I knew my brother would turn into a panther before he did.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441013333, Mass Market Paperback)

Small-town cocktail waitress Sookie Stackhouse has had more than her share of experience with the supernatural—but now it’s really hitting close to home. When Sookie sees her brother Jason’s eyes start to change, she knows he’s about to turn into a were-panther for the first time—a transformation he embraces more readily than most shapeshifters she knows. But her concern becomes cold fear when a sniper sets his deadly sights on the local changeling population, and Jason’s new panther brethren suspect he may be the shooter. Now, Sookie has until the next full moon to find out who’s behind the attacks—unless the killer decides to find her first…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:53 -0400)

Cocktail waitress Sookie Stackhouse turns sleuth to investigate a mysterious sniper who has set his sights on the local changeling population, especially when her brother Jason becomes the prime suspect in the deadly attacks.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,422,075 books! | Top bar: Always visible