Becoming: Now a Major Netflix Documentary by…

Becoming: Now a Major Netflix Documentary (edition 2018)

by Michelle Obama (Author)

"An intimate, powerful, and inspiring memoir by the former First Lady of the United States. When she was a little girl, Michelle Robinson's world was the South Side of Chicago, where she and her brother, Craig, shared a bedroom in their family's upstairs apartment and played catch in the park, and where her parents, Fraser and Marian Robinson, raised her to be outspoken and unafraid. But life soon took her much further afield, from the halls of Princeton, where she learned for the first time what if felt like to be the only black woman in a room, to the glassy office tower where she worked as a high-powered corporate lawyer--and where, one summer morning, a law student named Barack Obama appeared in her office and upended all her carefully made plans. Here, for the first time, Michelle Obama describes the early years of her marriage as she struggles to balance her work and family with her husband's fast-moving political career. She takes us inside their private debate over whether he should make a run for the presidency and her subsequent role as a popular but oft-criticized figure during his campaign. Narrating with grace, good humor, and uncommon candor, she provides a vivid, behind-the-scenes account of her family's history-making launch into the global limelight as well as their life inside the White House over eight momentous years--as she comes to know her country and her country comes to know her. [This book] takes us through modest Iowa kitchens and ballrooms at Buckingham Palace, through moments of heart-stopping grief and profound resilience, bringing us deep into the soul of a singular, groundbreaking figure in history as she strives to live authentically, marshaling her personal strength and voice in service of a set of higher ideals. In telling her story with honesty and boldness, she issues a challenge to the rest of us: Who are we and who do we want to become?"--Jacket.… (more)
Member:Colesa
Title:Becoming: Now a Major Netflix Documentary
Authors:Michelle Obama (Author)
Info:Viking (2018), Edition: 01, 400 pages

Becoming by Michelle Obama (Author)

Barack and Michelle: Portrait of an American Marriage by Christopher Andersen (Cammie.m)
    Cammie.m: This book gives an insight to the Obama’s life, love, marriage, and parenthood. It also discusses the trials and tribulations of being the President of the a United States of America. This book is a wonderful read!
    A White House diary by Lady Bird Johnson (Elizabeth.Macyshyn)
    Elizabeth.Macyshyn: First Lady autobiographies are fascinating, after enjoying Becoming, try the one that started the trend.
    I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai (lottpoet)
    lottpoet: similar sense of doing what needs doing, of her deeds being, not extraordinary, but a part of ordinary humanness
    Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg (JuliaMaria)
    Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama (TheLittlePhrase)

English (235)  German (4)  Finnish (2)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (247)
I purchased the book quickly after it’s release in November 2018, but I wanted to listen to the audiobook read by the author right along with it. I am so thrilled that I did so.

I felt a lot of of parallel experiences and emotions with the author. My first experience with New York was met with the fast pace, hustle and bustle of the smelly, and dirty city. I also, loved structure, organization, and proving to myself why I was worthy, and/or good enough in the desire to have a career and be a wonderful mother and wife was my dream as well.

I appreciated the glimpse into Michelle Obama’s life, her past, present, and future. Her resume on the jobs she held. Barack Obama’s trek to becoming a political leader, as well as his love for family, community, and books, which is my love too . I delved into videos, interviews, articles, and documentaries on the Obama’s in between reading. I was grateful for her intimate look into her feelings, compassion, and learned knowledge of being good enough as the first black FLOTUS.

While reading this nook, Michelle Obama published the young reader’s edition. Now, I have the hunger to read her husbands’ newly released book - A Promised Land. ( )
  altima313 | Mar 9, 2021 |
This is a book that was a pleasure to read. One seldom finds this point of view, that of the politician's wife, done so well. Michelle Robinson Obama comes across as a well organized woman whose husband has been an influence in her loosening up. the pair, as I have also just finished her husband's book, seem to be very balanced as a couple. The effect is the image of a very supportive pair. and engaged in being informed of each other's lives. There are both emotive insights and moments of wit. i am recommending the book for it is a conversation with an interesting person who has survived being placed in the world's most well lit fishbowl. I hope she feels as that the rest of her life will be equally rewarding. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Mar 9, 2021 |
I really enjoyed the fierceness yet gentleness of her narrative. Having read Dreams from My Father, it was also interesting to hear the overlap of timelines. I would highly recommend listening to the audiobook as I did since you can hear the emotion in her voice and can't help but laugh or cry with her. ( )
  thereserose5 | Mar 3, 2021 |
I'm usually not all that interested in first ladies, but I thought Michelle Obama might have an interesting perspective on the events of her husband's presidency and what has happened since then. She does, but it takes quite a while to get there.

This book is Michelle Obama's full autobiography, starting with her lower-middle-class childhood on the South Side of Chicago, through her Ivy League school days and early career at a swanky law firm, to her courtship and marriage to Barack Obama, and her transformation into someone she never expected to be--a political wife.

The narrative gets a little redundant and self-described "detail person" Michelle Obama goes from topic to topic and doesn't discuss any single incident in very much detail. I found myself skimming through some sections. Still, the later parts of this book provide a warm and even inspirational look back at Barack Obama's presidency, an era that, oddly, seems like a long time ago. ( )
  akblanchard | Feb 17, 2021 |
Enjoyed this book especially because it sheds a light on the background & life of Michelle Obama, with some views of Barack and their married life. Especially meaningful were her discussions of the female mentors she has had through her life. ( )
  VictoriaJZ | Feb 13, 2021 |
The summary of Obama’s White House initiatives relies on promotional language and well-worn anecdotes, and the book’s final pages are just a shade away from an overt advertisement for the Obama Foundation. The memoir’s “bombshell” revelations, which the media has projected as revelations of the female condition writ large—a discussion of Obama’s use of fertility treatment to conceive her daughters, and of a period of her marriage in which “frustrations began to rear up often and intensely”—belie how much the rest of the text withholds.

I suspect that some of Becoming’s power lies in the ways it employs the techniques of a novel more than those of a typical political memoir—in its honesty about human nature and ambivalence, yes, but also in its colorful and idiosyncratic details ... in its willingness to let anecdotes speak for themselves rather than pedantically spelling out their lessons.

Becoming is frequently funny, sometimes indignant or enraged, and when Michelle describes her father’s early death from multiple sclerosis it turns rawly emotional.
added by g33kgrrl | editThe Guardian, Peter Conrad (Nov 18, 2018)

But despite how close we get to her voice here, it’s never quite close enough. She lets us into all kinds of memories, including tender recollections, romantic dates, and triumphant moments on the campaign trail. But for all her candidness, there is still a veil of privacy around the inner workings of this reluctant public figure. She draws the reader in, but pauses at arm’s length. Maybe this is all we can expect, in text, from this woman with so much presence. As she says herself, she’s more of a hugger.
added by g33kgrrl | editVanity Fair, Sonia Saraiya (Nov 15, 2018)

Even if Becoming is not always interesting, it is much more interesting than it needed to be to qualify as a successful first lady memoir. And as an example of how to walk the tightrope — how to seem charming but not like an intellectual lightweight; how to get things done without seeming threatening; how to do all of the impossible things we demand of women in general, of first ladies in particular, and of the first black first lady as an absolute — Becoming is a straight-up master class.
added by g33kgrrl | editVox, Constance Grady (Nov 13, 2018)

Obama, MichelleAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Obama, MichelleNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Svensson, ManneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all the people who have helped me become:

the folks who raised me---Fraser, Marian, Craig,
and my vast extended family,

my circle of strong women, who always lift me up,

my loyal and dedicated staff, who continue to make me proud.
To the loves of my life:

Malia and Sasha, my two most precious peas,
who are my reason for being,

and finally, Barack, who always promised me an interesting journey.
When I was a kid, my aspirations were simple. (Preface)
Grief and resilience live together.
I spent much of my childhood listening to the sound of striving.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,050,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible