Definitely Dead by Charlaine Harris

Definitely Dead

by Charlaine Harris

Bite [Anthology 5-in-1] by Laurell K. Hamilton (Trai)
    Trai: Contains "One Word Answer", the short-story prequel to Definitely Dead.

English (153)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  All languages (156)
19-Dec: I begin yestreday and I'm on chapter 6, and that says something. I am so glad that Sookie removed Alced and Calvin from her mind. the weres community in Ms. Charlaine Harris world seems a bit twisted to me. the Vamps seems much normal in that way. I am dying to see the 3rd season of True Blood!
13-Jan: I haven't read it in awhile, and I began and I am almost finishing it.

Sookie Stackhouse goes to New Orleans to sort out the affairs of her cousin Hadley, who was murdered. Hadley had become a vampire and the romantic partner of Queen Sophie-Anne Leclerq, and upon her final death, left everything to Sookie. Meanwhile Sookie begins a tentative relationship with John Quinn, a were-tiger.

When she arrives, she finds Hadley's apartment locked and in stasis under the spell of the talented and helpful young witch Amelia Broadway, Hadley's landlady. When the spell is removed, she and Sookie are attacked by a newly turned vampire that had been hidden in the hall closet. The vampire is subdued by supernatural police, and Sookie and Amelia are taken to the hospital. Eric and Bill come to visit Sookie, and at Eric's urging, Bill tells Sookie why he came to Bon Temps: Hadley had told the queen of Sookie's telepathic abilities, and the queen then sent Bill to Bon Temps to find Sookie and bring her into the Queen's services, seducing Sookie if necessary. Sookie is heartbroken and tells Bill to leave her alone.

Sookie is called before Queen Sophie-Anne that night and finds the vampire queen has anxiety related to her recent political marriage to Peter Threadgill, the vampire king of Arkansas. The wedding is only a political gesture, but is very important for maintaining peace between the kingdoms. Sophie-Anne reveals that Hadley may have stolen a diamond bracelet from Sophie-Anne that was a present from the king. If Sophie-Anne doesn't have the bracelet back for a party in several days, Threadgill could call for divorce, and take down her kingdom, so she asks Sookie to find it.

Meanwhile, Sookie and Amelia explore the mystery of the vampire in Hadley's closet. The witches cast a spell and learn that the vampire had been a Were named Jake Purifoy who was attacked by an unseen assailant. Hadley turned him into a vampire to save him. Afterwards, Quinn visits Sookie and they explore their relationship, but are then kidnapped by some Weres—the Pelt family—the parents and sister of Alcide's ex-girlfriend, who Sookie had killed in self-defense (in Dead to the World). The Pelts want revenge. Sookie tells them the truth of what happened and the Pelts stoically accept the outcome, swearing not to tell anyone if Sookie will keep the secret of their violence against her, which is against pack law. They also had sent the weres to attack Sookie and Quinn.

At the ball being thrown in honor of the newly married King and Queen, Sookie finds enormous security forces. Sookie thinks she has averted a fight when she smuggles in the stolen bracelet and slips it onto Sophie-Anne's wrist without anyone noticing. But Threadgill starts his uprising anyway, and there is a violent battle. In the melee, Andre kills Peter Threadgill in order to save the Queen, with Sookie the only other witness.

Sookie and a wounded Quinn go back to Hadley's, where they are soon joined by Bill, who apologizes to Sookie and tells her he is truly in love with her. Sookie turns him away, telling him to get out of her life and never come back. When Sookie goes back to New Orleans, Amelia accompanies her since she needs to hide from her coven due to having used forbidden magic to accidentally turn her lover, Bob, into a cat. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
I really enjoyed reading this book as I have the others. There were many twists and turns I wasn't expecting. I'm so glad though that Sookie appears to have finally landed herself a decent boyfriend and he's a Bengal weretiger! ( )
  Eire2011 | Mar 11, 2016 |
I got to the end of this one and just wanted to say, "Eh." Having not read the short story that apparently fills the lacuna between the last book and this one, I had to scramble to find my footing right at the beginning (e.g., who the heck is cousin Hadley??) and the story just didn't suck me in even after I fitted the missing pieces into place. There are a few things I just don't "get" ...

*mild spoilers*

1. The Queen's marriage. The traditions of it seem fraught with possibilities for inadvertently starting a war, she and her husband clearly don't love or trust each other, and she had to send away her beloved. If there's an upside to the union, I never figured it out. So why, exactly, did the Queen get married?

2. Quinn. I just don't get him as a character. Sookie's attraction to him seems to be purely physical (that's really all she talks about, musclesmusclesmuscles) but for some reason she wants a relationship with him, and I guess he wants the same thing, but I have no real idea why. So, eh.

3. Speaking of Sookie Quinn... least sexy sex scene ever. Actually, I'm not sure dry humping counts as a sex scene, but apparently it's just as satisfying as the real thing, if Charlaine Harris is to be believed. I miss Eric.

And finally, there were just little bothersome details that seemed to conflict and weren't ever really resolved; Sookie eventually figures out who did what, but sometimes I was still unsure why, and the mild attempts at explaining motivations were pretty unsatisfying to me.

All of that said, I still gave this book two stars because parts of it were still creative and enjoyable. The witches were fun to meet, and the mystery of what happens to Quinn's underling had a great and surprising solution. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
While I enjoyed the read and finished this in a couple of days, I was really pissed, I mean REALLY pissed, about the entire Hadley thing. Apparently to understand what happened previously with Hadley, Sookie and the Vampire Queen and some minion named Waldo (a book on its own by the sounds of things), you have to read a short story written by the author in between these books. I don't understand the logic in doing things this way, but whatever. Maybe fans at the time thought it was fabulous. I do not. I wouldn't have known this had I not come on Goodreads to see if I skipped a book by mistake. Yes, I was that confused for a brief time. When I realized there'd been a short story in between all of these books, I was able to read it without being pulled from the story wondering how I'd missed a book. This is why it gets three stars. No, I refuse to read this other story on principle.

Otherwise, I did enjoy this instalment in Sookie's strange and disturbingly appealing story. I found it funny and despite even more characters being introduced, this time I didn't get the spins trying to remember them all. I'd have liked a little more on the Vampire King/Queen war. It was kind of rushed through and I think there was a lost opportunity to create more intensity with this part. But I'm getting used to the whole "let's rush to the solution in the last two chapters even if it means the book ends with a whimper". Still going to read number seven...whenever it arrives in the mail.

Last thought: I don't like Quinn. Perhaps it's because I'm Team Eric all the way, but I don't think so. There's something about him... ( )
  ReneeMiller | Feb 25, 2016 |
It took me awhile to get into this 6th installment of Sookie Stackhouse series. I was mighty confused by the entrance of Hadley (I either waited too long between books and forgot about her or she just suddenly became a major part, not sure). It took me awhile to get used to the addition of MORE characters and for the story to get rolling on this one. But once it got going, I did enjoy the story line, much more than the 5th book. I still like the earlier books more but the series in entertaining enough to continue. Plus, it was nice not to have a dozen men after at once in this book, sort of refreshing. I could do without her detailed description of every outfit she and everyone around her wears, but I'm used to it by this point. ( )
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Obviously, this book was finished months before Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast. Since much of the plot is set in New Orleans, I struggled with whether I would leave Definitely Dead as it was, or include the catastrophe of August and September. After much thought, since Sookie's visit takes place in the early spring of the year, I decided to let the book remain as it was originally written.

My heart goes out to the people of the beautiful city of New Orleans and to all the people of the coastal areas of Mississippi, my home state. My thoughts and prayers will be with you as you rebuild your homes and your lives.
I was draped over the arm of one of the most beautiful men I'd ever seen, and he was staring into my eyes.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441014917, Mass Market Paperback)

As a person with so few living relatives, Louisiana cocktail waitress Sookie Stackhouse really hated to lose one. But she never guessed that it would be her cousin Hadley—a consort of the Vampire Queen of New Orleans. After all, technically speaking, Hadley was already dead. And now, as unexpected heir to Hadley’s estate, Sookie discovers the inheritance definitely comes with a risk.

Someone doesn’t want Sookie looking too deeply into Hadley’s past—or for that matter, Hadley’s possessions. And they’re prepared to do anything in their power to stop her. But who? The range of suspects runs from the Rogue Weres who reject Sookie as a friend of the Pack to the Vampire Queen herself, who could be working through a particularly vulnerable subject—Sookie’s first love, Bill.

Whoever it is, they’re definitely dangerous—and Sookie’s life is definitely on the line…

With HBO's launching of an all-new show, True Blood, based on the Southern Vampire novels, the demand for Charlaine Harris and Sookie Stackhouse is bigger than ever.

Watch a QuickTime trailer for the HBO original series True Blood.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:33 -0400)

Supernaturally gifted cocktail waitress Sookie Stackhouse heads for New Orleans, where she is forced to contend with her own family's dark legacy and a variety of potentially lethal characters.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,846,954 books! | Top bar: Always visible