Web of Love (Dell Historical Romance) by…

Web of Love (Dell Historical Romance) (edition 2007)

by Mary Balogh

Member:papermoon
Title:Web of Love (Dell Historical Romance)
Authors:Mary Balogh
Info:Dell (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Tags:own

Web of Love by Mary Balogh

When He Was Wicked by Julia Quinn (PhoenixFalls)
    PhoenixFalls: Both books have similar plots; Quinn's has better sex, but I think Balogh's is more satisfying emotionally.

Like Krentz's booka a lot. Disposing of this one because I have run out of space. I wouldn't have kept it this long unless I had really liked it. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Oct 3, 2017 |
In some ways, this is a better book than my rating would suggest, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as many other Baloghs.

The first one-third or so takes place in Brussels before the Battle of Waterloo. Ellen Simpson is happily married to Charlie and has been "following the drum" for five years. We know, just from the book blurb, that Charlie will die, but they are so happy, and their scenes together are so sweet, that it's hard to read.

Our soon-to-be hero, Dominic, is Charlie's best friend, and after Charlie dies, Ellen nurses a severely wounded Dominic back to health. They have a passionate one-week affair, but then Ellen suddenly decides that she's being unfaithful to Charlie by not mourning him longer. She's ashamed of her conduct and sends Dominic away.

The rest of the story finds everyone back in England, where Ellen hates Dom but secretly still loves him. And Dom loves her, but that's a secret too. And everybody knows that Ellen's expected baby was fathered by Dom and not Charlie, but nobody seems to mind or even give it much of a second thought. There's a houseparty with lots of people, most of whom seem superfluous to the plot. It all just didn't work for me.

The Earl and Countess of Amberly appear frequently in this book, and I liked them a lot. Perhaps I'll go back and read their story in [b:The Gilded Web|42634|The Gilded Web (Web, #1)|Mary Balogh|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1320510270s/42634.jpg|42106]. ( )
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |
I really like the characters and the first half of this book, but it doesn't untangle as organically as it tangles. ( )
  flemmily | Nov 19, 2011 |
Mary Balogh's historical romance book are always delightful - and a perfect beach read! ( )
  kelli413 | Apr 10, 2011 |
Not one of my favorite MB titles. I'm not a big fan of the "I hate you" couple who realizes in the last five pages that they're in love. ( )
1 vote Ann_Louise | Dec 28, 2008 |
Will we reach Brussels soon, Ellen?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044024305X, Mass Market Paperback)

New York Times bestselling author Mary Balogh brilliantly captures the passionate conflict of a woman caught between two loves in this classic tale of friendship, devotion, intrigue—and a love that is the most seductive trap of all….

He’d served with her husband on the battlefield—and secretly desired her for years. Yet for Dominic, Lieutenant Lord Eden, Ellen Simpson has remained tantalizingly out of reach—until she is widowed by the war. Suddenly pursued by the dangerously handsome nobleman, Ellen is stunned by the depth of attraction he arouses in her. Soon their friendship flames into something deeper…and as scandal ignites, marriage seems the only solution. But Ellen has a secret—one she can share with no one—that prevents her from fully opening her heart to Dominic. Until he devises his own plan for the ultimate consummation of their passion—and the woman he is determined to possess at any cost…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:11 -0400)

Ellen Simpson, a young war widow, finds herself falling in love with Lord Dominic Eden, but wonders if it is due to passion or weakness, in a novel set against the backdrop of Regency-era England.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,564,107 books! | Top bar: Always visible