dismiss

The World Without Us

by Alan Weisman

Journalist Weisman offers an original approach to questions of humanity's impact on the planet. Drawing on the expertise of engineers, atmospheric scientists, art conservators, zoologists, oil refiners, marine biologists, astrophysicists, religious leaders, and paleontologists, he illustrates what the planet might be like today if humans disappeared. He explains how our massive infrastructure would collapse and finally vanish without human presence; which everyday items may become immortalized as fossils; how copper pipes and wiring would be crushed into mere seams of reddish rock; why some of our earliest buildings might be the last architecture left; and how plastic, bronze sculpture, radio waves, and some man-made molecules may be our most lasting gifts to the universe. As he shows which human devastations are indelible, and which examples of our highest art and culture would endure longest, Weisman's narrative ultimately drives toward a radical but persuasive solution that needn't depend on our demise.--From publisher description.… (more)

English (161)  Italian (2)  German (2)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (168)
Another entry in the ever-popular "interesting magazine article padded out to not-so-interesting book length" category. ( )
  AldusManutius | Jul 5, 2020 |
Fascinating, but wanders a bit. ( )
  Tip44 | Jun 30, 2020 |
Solid, but not as good as it should have been. ( )
  tombrown | Feb 21, 2020 |
Unique socio-environmental book that studies about how dependent our infrastructure of buildings, roads, sewers, etc is upon constant maintenance, and what would happen if we were to suddenly disappear. Very well written and worth keeping in the socio-political-economic library. ( )
  atufft | Jul 16, 2019 |
A globe-trotting and wide-ranging discussion of the long term effects of human life on Earth and our legacy, good and bad. The variety of topics explored is terrific fun and the imagery is exciting, although the somewhat Malthusian epilogue and lack of an emphasis on the corporate fight against climate change mitigation date it a bit. (We were so naive back then!)
  sockatume | Jul 1, 2019 |
That said, the science and factual stuff is, almost invariably, mind-boggling. I did not know, for instance, that ships the length of three football pitches entering the locks of the Panama Canal have only two feet of clearance on each side; that there may well be at least one billion annual bird deaths from flying into glass in the United States alone; or that graphic designers have been called in to imagine what warnings against coming too close to nuclear waste containers will be comprehensible 10,000 or more years from now.

Weisman, Alanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lempinen, UllaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ohinmaa, TiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of Sonia Marguerite with lasting love from a world without you
One June morning in 2004, Ana Maria Santi sat against a post beneath a large palm-thatched canopy, frowning as she watched a gathering of her people in Mazaraka, their hamlet on the Rio Conambu, an Ecuadoran tributary of the upper Amazon.
Quoting Les Knight " The last humans could enjoy their final sunsets peacefully, knowing they have returned the planet as close as possible to the Garden of Eden"

" He now fears that the planet is suffering a high fever, and that we are the virus."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,061,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible