The World Without Us by Alan Weisman

The World Without Us

by Alan Weisman

Recently added byprivate library, GOOMPI, davemiedema, atufft, Satsuma_Sada, jillbone, DouglasDuff, scu83, ballycumber

English (159)  Italian (3)  German (2)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (167)
Unique socio-environmental book that studies about how dependent our infrastructure of buildings, roads, sewers, etc is upon constant maintenance, and what would happen if we were to suddenly disappear. Very well written and worth keeping in the socio-political-economic library. ( )
  atufft | Jul 16, 2019 |
A globe-trotting and wide-ranging discussion of the long term effects of human life on Earth and our legacy, good and bad. The variety of topics explored is terrific fun and the imagery is exciting, although the somewhat Malthusian epilogue and lack of an emphasis on the corporate fight against climate change mitigation date it a bit. (We were so naive back then!)
  sockatume | Jul 1, 2019 |
Not so much the extrapolation of the title as an argument the world would be BETTER OFF without us. We're bad, and apparently have been since prehistory when we wiped out all sorts of great big animals. It's disheartening to be clubbed in the head with everything your species has done and is doing wrong. I'm currently reading a book called "The Uninhabitable Earth," which specifically addresses global warming, and is basically "game over." I have a considerable collection of apocalypse fiction, and as grim as some of it is, none of it can hold a candle to books like these. The disaster is already upon us, and books like this are as likely to cause despair as action. We need a plan and instead we have willfully ignorant politicians and science deniers and people with their heads up their asses. ( )
  unclebob53703 | Mar 28, 2019 |
This is a book that can be read in a variety of different ways. If you are looking for some kind of right on, accurate, scientific sort of work, this is not that book.

It is more of a science fiction/poetic thought exercise, written in almost narrative form, about what the world would look and feel like without us on the planet. The details are well thought out, the anecdotes from people regarding life now on the planet are varied and interesting. It is like reading an Italo Calvino novel or something. Different snippets, that when combined, form a tapestry that is more than the individual parts. It is a really well thought out book. ( )
  barnettie | Feb 3, 2019 |
Zu viele Informationen, zu viel Daten, ein zu unscharfes und unwirkliches Szenario, das unstrukturiert von verschiedenen Ecken und Enden aus beleuchtet wird. Schwierig, auch nur einen Teil der Unfassbarkeit, die das Buch beschreibt, aufzunehmen.
Aber sicherlcih ein interressantes Szenario, wenngleich auch höchst unwahrscheinlich.
  Kindlegohome | Nov 22, 2018 |
That said, the science and factual stuff is, almost invariably, mind-boggling. I did not know, for instance, that ships the length of three football pitches entering the locks of the Panama Canal have only two feet of clearance on each side; that there may well be at least one billion annual bird deaths from flying into glass in the United States alone; or that graphic designers have been called in to imagine what warnings against coming too close to nuclear waste containers will be comprehensible 10,000 or more years from now.

Weisman, Alanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lempinen, UllaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ohinmaa, TiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of Sonia Marguerite with lasting love from a world without you
One June morning in 2004, Ana Maria Santi sat against a post beneath a large palm-thatched canopy, frowning as she watched a gathering of her people in Mazaraka, their hamlet on the Rio Conambu, an Ecuadoran tributary of the upper Amazon.
Quoting Les Knight " The last humans could enjoy their final sunsets peacefully, knowing they have returned the planet as close as possible to the Garden of Eden"

" He now fears that the planet is suffering a high fever, and that we are the virus."

A penetrating, page-turning tour of a post-human Earth

In The World Without Us, Alan Weisman offers an utterly original approach to questions of humanity's impact on the planet: he asks us to envision our Earth, without us.
In this far-reaching narrative, Weisman explains how our massive infrastructure would collapse and finally vanish without human presence; which everyday items may become immortalized as fossils; how copper pipes and wiring would be crushed into mere seams of reddish rock; why some of our earliest buildings might be the last architecture left; and how plastic, bronze sculpture, radio waves, and some man-made molecules may be our most lasting gifts to the universe.
The World Without Us reveals how, just days after humans disappear, floods in New York's subways would start eroding the city's foundations, and how, as the world's cities crumble, asphalt jungles would give way to real ones. It describes the distinct ways that organic and chemically treated farms would revert to wild, how billions more birds would flourish, and how cockroaches in unheated cities would perish without us. Drawing on the expertise of engineers, atmospheric scientists, art conservators, zoologists, oil refiners, marine biologists, astrophysicists, religious leaders from rabbis to the Dali Lama, and paleontologists---who describe a prehuman world inhabited by megafauna like giant sloths that stood taller than mammoths---Weisman illustrates what the planet might be like today, if not for us.
From places already devoid of humans (a last fragment of primeval European forest; the Korean DMZ; Chernobyl), Weisman reveals Earth's tremendous capacity for self-healing. As he shows which human devastations are indelible, and which examples of our highest art and culture would endure longest, Weisman's narrative ultimately drives toward a radical but persuasive solution that needn't depend on our demise. It is narrative nonfiction at its finest, and in posing an irresistible concept with both gravity and a highly readable touch, it looks deeply at our effects on the planet in a way that no other book has.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:31 -0400)

Journalist Weisman offers an original approach to questions of humanity's impact on the planet. Drawing on the expertise of engineers, atmospheric scientists, art conservators, zoologists, oil refiners, marine biologists, astrophysicists, religious leaders, and paleontologists, he illustrates what the planet might be like today if humans disappeared. He explains how our massive infrastructure would collapse and finally vanish without human presence; which everyday items may become immortalized as fossils; how copper pipes and wiring would be crushed into mere seams of reddish rock; why some of our earliest buildings might be the last architecture left; and how plastic, bronze sculpture, radio waves, and some man-made molecules may be our most lasting gifts to the universe. As he shows which human devastations are indelible, and which examples of our highest art and culture would endure longest, Weisman's narrative ultimately drives toward a radical but persuasive solution that needn't depend on our demise.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,427,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible