The World Without Us by Alan Weisman

The World Without Us (edition 2008)

by Alan Weisman (Author)

Member:fakelvis
Title:The World Without Us
Authors:Alan Weisman (Author)
Info:Picador (2008), Edition: Reprint, 432 pages
Rating:***

The World Without Us by Alan Weisman

English (151)  German (3)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All (159)
This book answers the question: what would happen if all humans suddenly disappeared off the Earth? What will happen to dormant and forgotten nuclear warheads and all the plastic in the oceans? The answers are fascinating and often alarming.

This is a fantastic book and I love this genre, but this stuff can be heartbreaking to take in. Our species is seemingly at war with the very planet we depend on. ( )
  jasoncomely | Mar 29, 2018 |
An inspired and thoughtful premise ("What would happen to humankind's infrastructure and legacy if we were to all vanish tomorrow") makes for an inspired and well researched, if somewhat uneven, book. While occasionally heavy-handed, Alan Weisman's look at our toxic bequest has rightfully shamed me into a serious accounting of my own disposable-plastics use - not a bad accomplishment for a light summer read. ( )
  rabbit.blackberry | Oct 19, 2017 |
  rabbit.blackberry | Oct 19, 2017 |
About the author, quoting from the inside of the book's cover, "Alan Weisman is an award-winning journalist whose reports have appeared in 'Harper's,' 'The New York Times Magazine,' 'The Atlantic Monthly', 'Discover', and on NPR. . .[H]e is a senior radio producer for Homelands Productions and teaches international journalism at the University of Arizona.'" www.worldwithoutus.com The 'Booklist' reviewer of this work said of it, "Weisman is a thoroughly engaging and clarion writer fueled by curiosity and determined to cast light rather than spread despair. His superbly well-researched and skillfully crafted stop-you-in-your-tracks report stresses the underappreciated fact that humankind's actions create a ripple effect across the web of life."
  uufnn | Jun 20, 2017 |
Very well done and full of information that everyone should know about. My only criticism is that it is organized oddly and as a result has a few spots of repetition. Otherwise excellent. ( )
  bness2 | May 23, 2017 |
That said, the science and factual stuff is, almost invariably, mind-boggling. I did not know, for instance, that ships the length of three football pitches entering the locks of the Panama Canal have only two feet of clearance on each side; that there may well be at least one billion annual bird deaths from flying into glass in the United States alone; or that graphic designers have been called in to imagine what warnings against coming too close to nuclear waste containers will be comprehensible 10,000 or more years from now.

Weisman, Alanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lempinen, UllaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ohinmaa, TiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of Sonia Marguerite with lasting love from a world without you
One June morning in 2004, Ana Maria Santi sat against a post beneath a large palm-thatched canopy, frowning as she watched a gathering of her people in Mazaraka, their hamlet on the Rio Conambu, an Ecuadoran tributary of the upper Amazon.
Quoting Les Knight " The last humans could enjoy their final sunsets peacefully, knowing they have returned the planet as close as possible to the Garden of Eden"

" He now fears that the planet is suffering a high fever, and that we are the virus."

A penetrating, page-turning tour of a post-human Earth

In The World Without Us, Alan Weisman offers an utterly original approach to questions of humanity's impact on the planet: he asks us to envision our Earth, without us.
In this far-reaching narrative, Weisman explains how our massive infrastructure would collapse and finally vanish without human presence; which everyday items may become immortalized as fossils; how copper pipes and wiring would be crushed into mere seams of reddish rock; why some of our earliest buildings might be the last architecture left; and how plastic, bronze sculpture, radio waves, and some man-made molecules may be our most lasting gifts to the universe.
The World Without Us reveals how, just days after humans disappear, floods in New York's subways would start eroding the city's foundations, and how, as the world's cities crumble, asphalt jungles would give way to real ones. It describes the distinct ways that organic and chemically treated farms would revert to wild, how billions more birds would flourish, and how cockroaches in unheated cities would perish without us. Drawing on the expertise of engineers, atmospheric scientists, art conservators, zoologists, oil refiners, marine biologists, astrophysicists, religious leaders from rabbis to the Dali Lama, and paleontologists---who describe a prehuman world inhabited by megafauna like giant sloths that stood taller than mammoths---Weisman illustrates what the planet might be like today, if not for us.
From places already devoid of humans (a last fragment of primeval European forest; the Korean DMZ; Chernobyl), Weisman reveals Earth's tremendous capacity for self-healing. As he shows which human devastations are indelible, and which examples of our highest art and culture would endure longest, Weisman's narrative ultimately drives toward a radical but persuasive solution that needn't depend on our demise. It is narrative nonfiction at its finest, and in posing an irresistible concept with both gravity and a highly readable touch, it looks deeply at our effects on the planet in a way that no other book has.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:31 -0400)

Journalist Weisman offers an original approach to questions of humanity's impact on the planet. Drawing on the expertise of engineers, atmospheric scientists, art conservators, zoologists, oil refiners, marine biologists, astrophysicists, religious leaders, and paleontologists, he illustrates what the planet might be like today if humans disappeared. He explains how our massive infrastructure would collapse and finally vanish without human presence; which everyday items may become immortalized as fossils; how copper pipes and wiring would be crushed into mere seams of reddish rock; why some of our earliest buildings might be the last architecture left; and how plastic, bronze sculpture, radio waves, and some man-made molecules may be our most lasting gifts to the universe. As he shows which human devastations are indelible, and which examples of our highest art and culture would endure longest, Weisman's narrative ultimately drives toward a radical but persuasive solution that needn't depend on our demise.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,512,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible