SHOCK by Neil Gaiman

SHOCK

by Neil Gaiman

AfterShock Comics' SHOCK is a solid anthology, comprised of stories ranging from the horrific to the fantastical to the out of this world, with many reading like a print version of Black Mirror. Opening with a typically Gaiman-esque witch's tale from Neil Gaiman, gorgeously illustrated by Michael Zulli, the reader is also treated to alien invasions gone wrong, the horrors of war, wishes come true (but at what cost?), revenge, fairy tale retellings, and an especially moving story tied into the events of 9/11. As with any anthology, some stories are better than others, but overall there wasn't a single story here that felt out of place. I'm hoping that AfterShock turns this into an annual (or more frequent) release, building on the talent that they brought together for this premier release. ( )
  tapestry100 | Sep 5, 2018 |
Overall, it's a pretty even anthology of little comic stories, each with a sort of twist at the end (where I guess the SHOCK in the title comes from). There are some aliens (not particularly clever ones who try to hypnotize a scarecrow), there's a retelling of Red Riding Hood where she is a hood in the more colloquial sense of the term (i.e. hoodlum), there are fighting transformer buildings, etc. But again, like I find with so many comics, it's like a whole smorgasbord of amuse-bouches but then I want to eat something more filling than a bit of bacon wrapped in watercress, except there's not the option. Why is it that word-based short-stories can fill me up (good ones, at least, like Goodbye to Berlin or Just Pretending, or even non-traditional ones without true endings, like let's say If on a winter's night a traveler), yet I've never been satisfied completely with any comic anthology? Is it a fault of the medium or a fault of the reader?

So I liked SHOCK Anthology more than I expected to, but I still, as always, have my reservations about the effectiveness of comics for short stories.

SHOCK Anthology by Neil Gaiman, Paul Jenkins, Brian Azzarello, Cullen Bunn, Marguerite Bennett, Frank Tieri, and more went on sale April 24, 2018.

I received a copy free from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  reluctantm | Jul 4, 2018 |
Goodreads Synopsis:
AfterShock Comics continues to push boundaries by presenting it’s very first anthology collection featuring a slew of today’s top writers and artists. Presented in the European Album format (same as the recent Animosity: the Rise hardcover for LCSD), this handsome hardcover features the creative talents of Neil Gaiman, Michael Zulli, Charles Vess, Michael Gaydos, Andy Clarke, Andrew Robinson, Mike Carey, Jim Starlin, Phil Hester, Paul Jenkins, Dalibor Talajic, Bill Willingham, Travis Moore, Brian Azzarello, Francesco Francavilla, Cullen Bunn, Marc Guggenheim, Marguerite Bennett, Frank Tieri, Brian Stelfreeze, Szymon Kudranski and more! Cover art by John Cassaday!

My Review:
Let me say first that although I'm not really into short stories, this book caught my eye and I just had to give it a shot. Inside are twenty one amazing and completely different stories that I loved for a lot of different reasons. The art is amazing and all different kinds, and I just really enjoyed reading this book. It has everything from witches, space bands, magic dogs, sad stories, pretty much everything in between. My favourite story was probably either Dumb Bitch, Witch Work or Little Red Hood, but all for very different reasons. The stories are exciting, and I didn't expect to like them as much as I do simply because of the length. The entire book sucked me in from the very beginning, and I'm really glad I got the chance to read it. Definitely check it out if you get the chance.

Here's a link to the book on Amazon, and I was going to try to put the links to every author/illustrator/editor in this book, but there's just too many so I'll just keep the amazon link here.

Thanks for reading! Check out this review and more at my blog.
(Radioactivebookreviews.wordpress.com) ( )
  aurora.schnarr | Jun 15, 2018 |
This is an anthology of the publisher's authors, both long-time and up and coming. There are some really big names here such as Neil Gaiman, Cullen Bunn, Bill Willingham, and Brian Azzarello to name a few. First there is an introduction by the editor which informs us that these stories are not connected nor do they share a theme. But it doesn't take long for the reader to realise that these do indeed share something; they are all tales of the Weird. There is a lot of violence, adult language and some sex but all stories conclude with the twist ending, a "shock". I really enjoyed the stories here. Most were fantastic though I'll admit there were a couple I didn't "get". The art is fantastic throughout which is not usual in an anthology where each story has a different illustrator, a different style. Generally, I'm a fan of anthologies and this is a real winner. ( )
  ElizaJane | Mar 25, 2018 |

AfterShock Comics continues to push boundaries by presenting ita??s very first anthology collection featuring a slew of todaya??s top writers and artists. Presented in the European Album format (same as the recent Animosity: the Rise hardcover for LCSD), this handsome hardcover features the creative talents of Neil Gaiman, Michael Zulli, Charles Vess, Michael Gaydos, Andy Clarke, Andrew Robinson, Mike Carey, Jim Starlin, Phil Hester, Paul Jenkins, Dalibor Talajic, Bill Willingham, Travis Moore, Brian Azzarello, Francesco Francavilla, Cullen Bunn, Marc Guggenheim, Marguerite Bennett, Frank Tieri, Brian Stelfreeze, Szymon Kudranski and more! Cover art by John Cassaday! From the multiple Eisner and Harvey Award nominated editor of the classic Negative Burn anthology series.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,798,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible