Damsel by Elana K. Arnold

Damsel (edition 2018)

by Elana K. Arnold (Author)

Member:malinablue
Title:Damsel
Authors:Elana K. Arnold (Author)
Info:Balzer Bray (2018), 320 pages

Damsel by Elana K. Arnold

This book wasn’t BAD but it wasn’t everything I was expecting it to be...it definitely made me hate men briefly. I loved the idea and the lore! I hate that this had been happening for GENERATIONS and people just ACCEPTED it without asking questions. The ending was a WILD ride and I was not expecting that at all. Well part of it but he deserved everything he got.

I think everyone should read this and form an opinion for themselves, but I’m aware that MANY things in this book are triggering for a lot of people. It may not be everyone’s cup of tea honestly. ( )
  biblioteee | Jan 25, 2019 |
I don’t know where to start. I haven’t been this mad since I read Kingdom of Little Wounds. When I was forced to read it because it was a Printz honor the year it came out. This is an adult book that someone decided to publish as a teen book. Nowhere within this book is it stated that these are teen characters at all and they feel much older. Maybe if this had been published as an adult book I wouldn’t be as harsh. This book has rape, animal cruelty, and misogyny galore. When I first read the synopsis for this book, I was intrigued, a book that discusses sexual assault on women with a fairytale like background. Robin Mckinley’s Deerskin is one of my favorite books ever. That book deals with incest and sexual assault but looks at the turbulent emotions that surround it. But this is no fairytale it is almost 300 pages of assault on women without any break. In fact, the first 37 pages are told from the rapist’s perspective. From there Ama, the damsel, is repeatedly hurt, abused, and mistreated. Will teens be able to understand that this NOT the way women should be treated? Of course! Teens are smart enough to understand what the author is trying to convey but there are tons of better books out there for them to read. There are also no positive male characters in the whole book. All men are abusers without any positive depictions of masculinity. If you are looking for teen books that deal with sexual assault here is a list of other teen books.
- Exit, Pursued by a Bear by E.K. Johnston
- Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
- The Girl Who Fell by S.M. Parker
- Bad Romance by Heather Demetrios ( )
  SWONroyal | Dec 10, 2018 |
This is not the Prince-rescues-Princess-from-Dragon book you expect, but it may very well be the book that you—or someone you know—needs.

Embrace your Sorrow.

Free your Fury.

Be the Dragon. ( )
  BillieBook | Nov 20, 2018 |
I have sat on this review all night because I really don’t know what to say other than that was weird. It obviously kept my attention because I finished it quickly but it’s not one of my favorites. Parts of it had me wondering. But that cover.... for that it gets 3🌟 ( )
  karenvg3 | Oct 15, 2018 |
First of all, this book has a fairy tale-like feel but I don't know which fairy tale -- and it isn't a Disney version of a fairy tale. Prince Emory has a goal. He needs to find and kill a dragon and rescue its damsel before he can become king. With his father dying before Emory being fully trained, he is rather on his own in his quest. His mother, the Queen, advises him that he has three weapons -- his brain, his sword, and another she doesn't name -- to help him in his quest. The descriptions of his climb to the dragon's castle and his fight with the dragon are vivid and and show a young man who is determined, self-centered, and certain that his way is the best way to do anything.

The story then switches viewpoint and jumps in time to the rescued damsel who comes to consciousness in Emory's arms with no memory of how she got there or what happened before. Emory names her Ama and tells her that she's his destiny. When she briefly walks away to get a look at the world that she doesn't remember, she encounters a lynx pup and its mother. Emory kills the mother and is about to kill the baby when Ama begs for it. She names the pup Sorrow and takes it with her. But Emory tells her that it is a wild animal who can't live in captivity and which he will get rid of before their wedding.

Ama is determined to find a way to keep her pet. She is put under the tutelage of Emory's friend who is the castle falconer who tries to teach her to break her pet's spirit in order to train it. Ama quickly sees that she is also being broken and trained to be Emory's wife. Meeting Emory's mother does nothing to change her opinion about her fate but, with no past, she doesn't seem to have any other options for her future.

She becomes ill in the leadup to the wedding and the only thing that seems to help her is spending time in the heat near where the glassblower fashions his art and the eyes that decorate the city walls. Ama soon convinces him to let her work with glass and the work and heat help her to uncover secrets from her past and plan a course for her future.

I enjoyed this story despite the fact that is was rather dark and grim, but because of the sexual issues and content, would recommend it for older young adults. ( )
  kmartin802 | Sep 2, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,658,819 books! | Top bar: Always visible