Joan the Made by Kristen Pham

Joan the Made

by Kristen Pham

641,797,756 (4.67)None

JOAN THE MADE didn't really jump out at me and say READ ME, but I was intrigued enough with the blurb that I thought I should give it a shot. I had no problem getting into the story once I started reading.

I thought the clone concept was super interesting and it was shocking to see how this world treats them. Joan grew up thinking she was evolved but finds out she is a throwback on her 18th birthday. EVERY dream and plan she had was thrown out the window. I liked Joan. She of course goes through a stage of 'why the heck me', but she takes to her new fate and uses it to her advantage.

There is a little bit of romance in JOAN THE MADE. It is nothing to write home about, but it is there. The ending really threw a wrench in a few things. I have a few theories that I can't share due to spoilers, but these theories make me interested to read more and find out if they will come to pass.

* This book was provided free of charge from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  STACYatUFI | May 23, 2018 |
This story is one of only a few dystopian books which felt real to me. I’ve enjoyed them all, but this one was much more. I don’t know if it was the shock of discovering everything about yourself is a lie, or the cruelty people can stoop to when overcome with a superiority complex. Maybe the extreme emotions experienced by the characters breathed the life necessary into creating real living people. What I do know is I felt every one of Joan’s reactions.

As with most dystopia’s, the world is clearly mapped out between good and evil. The rich get richer by taking advantage of those beneath them. The good “Throwbacks” rebel and overtake the bad “Evolved.” This book doesn’t fully comply with those rules. In this story, we have the extremely evil, evil, good, and extremely good. The people who make up each group are not who you would think.

I am fascinated with all the different puzzle pieces in this story. In this world, servant-type people are engineered by the Strand. This all-powerful company is directed by a person holding the title of Darwin of Strand. Throwbacks are genetically cloned from long-dead people. Can you imagine walking into a room only to see Madonna and Stalin deep in conversation? How about Harriet Tubman befriending Joan of Arc? Surreal.

By the twist of fate, the story closes with some exciting, as well as heart-wrenching, revelations. May cannot get here fast enough. I need to know what becomes of Joan and her friends. ( )
  Bibliodiction | Apr 28, 2018 |
This is an amazing book. It grabbed me right from the start and I didn't want to put it down until it was finished. I won't give a summary; you can get that elsewhere. Just know that this is an incredibly well thought out dystopian world with rich, well-developed characters. It kept me entranced until the very last page and left me wanting more. I can't wait for the next book to come out! ( )
  PhDinHorribleness | Apr 6, 2018 |

Bibliodiction | Mar 28, 2018 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Kristen Pham's book Joan the Made was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Kristen Pham is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,918,023 books! | Top bar: Always visible