The Elements of Typographic Style by Robert…

The Elements of Typographic Style (1992)

by Robert Bringhurst

Recently added byprivate library, noonaut, Sean_Klinkradt, hjbacchus, kbosso, elizabeth022, cadolph

English (12)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All (14)
"The Elements of Typographic Style" is a compact yet erudite handbook on typography and graphic design. Assuming little to no knowledge of typography, Bringhurst walks the reader through various facets of typography design: from discussing kerning and why it matters, to a walk through the history of Western typography.

Bringhurst and co. have brought what seems like decades of research into this volume, and made it accessible to both amateur and professional designers. On top of that, the hardcover book itself is extremely well-designed, and an artifact in its own right. Highly recommended. ( )
  jasonli | Jul 17, 2014 |
Read this if you care at all about how your writing is presented, or how other peoples' writing is presented, or if you're interested in alphabets, or the history of printing, or how many different diacritics are used when writing Vietnamese with the Latin alphabet. ( )
  sben | Feb 11, 2014 |
Fascinating. Quite a lot to digest, especially for the amateur typographer, and doubly so for one working purely in reflowable digital text. Everyone I've mentioned this book to has assumed it to be about "fonts," but only a third or so of this book deals with issues connected to type face design and selection, even counting issues of kerning etc. A rich field well introduced. ( )
  llasram | Nov 9, 2010 |
I bought this book to help me understand font selection, and ended up learning a whole lot more. It's a great book, and surprisingly readable for a textbook. It's obvious that a lot of effort has been put into the presentation as it's very nicely laid out, indeed just looking at the layout can be instructive.

I can't really find much wrong with this book. If I were forced to find fault, it would be that the author is sometimes a little opinionated, and could occasionally accept that there are multiple acceptable ways to do something. ( )
  Pondlife | Jul 28, 2010 |
A beautiful book the practices what it preaches. Sometimes called the 'typographer's bible', this book looks at the history of the printed word, breaks down the letterform and layouts. The last half is a detailed reference of faces, characters, a glossary of terms, and popular typographers. ( )
  Murdocke23 | Jan 31, 2010 |
[T]here can be no last word about typography and Bringhurst himself still has a lot more to say.
added by Katya0133 | editJournal of Scholarly Publishing, Richard Eckersley and Stephen Cox (Apr 1, 2000)

The author's prose is sometimes flowery, and some of his strongly expressed opinions are questionable. Nonetheless, there's a wealth of sound advice and instruction here.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Journal, Margarete Gross (Jan 1, 1997)

Bringhurst has created a work that deserves to become a classic in the field and belongs in any collection with an interest in the graphic arts.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Journal, Mark Woodhouse (Dec 15, 1992)

-- Everything written symbols can say has already passed by. They are like tracks left by animals. That is why the masters of meditation refuse to accept that writings are final. The aim is to reach true being by means of those tracks, those letters, those signs -- but reality itself is not a sign, and it leaves no tracks. It doesn't come to us by way of letters or words. We can go toward it, by following those words and letters back to what they came from. But so long as we are preoccupied with symbols, theories and opinions, we will fail to reach the principle.

-- But when we give up symbols and opinions, aren't we left in the utter nothingness of being?

Kimura Kyuho, Kenjutsu Fushigi Hen [On the Mysteries of Swordsmanship], 1768
A true revelation, it seems to me, will only emerge from stubborn concentration on a solitary problem. I am no in league with inventors or adventurers, nor with travellers to exotic destinations. The surest -- also the quickest -- way to awake the sense of wonder in ourselves is to looki intently, undeterred, at a single object. Suddenly, miraculously, it will reveal itself as something we have never seen before.

Cesare Pavese, Dialoghi con Leuco, 1947
for my colleagues & friends in the worlds of letters: writers & editors, type designers, typographers, printers & publishers, shepherding words and books on their lethal and innocent ways
Like oratory, music, dance, calligraphy—like anything that lends its grace to language—typography is an art that can be deliberately misused.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0881792063, Paperback)

Renowned typographer and poet Robert Bringhurst brings clarity to the art of typography with this masterful style guide. Combining the practical, theoretical, and historical, this edition is completely updated, with a thorough exploration of the newest innovations in intelligent font technology, and is a must-have for graphic artists, editors, or anyone working with the printed page using digital or traditional methods.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:13 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,463,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible