Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

What Remains to Be Discovered: Mapping the…

What Remains to Be Discovered: Mapping the Secrets of the Universe, the… (1998)

by John Maddox

In many ways it's a highly outdated book (CERN, Human Gemome Project), and in whole it seems to be badly edited, discursive and its's mainly talking about the history of the given field of science. Clearly not a must. The hungarian translation is slobby. ( )
  TheCrow2 | Jan 21, 2014 |
A year ago, a book entitled "The End of Science" by John Horgan claimed that there was nothing of significance left for science to uncover. It was not a "Hal's Pick" because I thought it was seriously mistaken, echoing the smug predictions of a century ago, just before the revolutions of quantum mechanics and relativity blew the lid off of classical science. Now John Maddox, for twenty three years the editor of Nature, has published a refutation of Horgan's thesis. Maddox organizes his thoughts into three categories: Matter, Life, and Our World. In each of ten chapters, he describes what he sees to be the outstanding problems and the likely means by which they might be attacked. I particularly enjoyed the clarity of his descriptions of the current status of the science involved - not surprising, considering his responsibilities at Nature. The future will likely prove his predictions wrong, but I don't think it will disprove his larger point, that science has an promising future. This should be an inspirational book for students of science. ( )
  hcubic | Jan 27, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 068482292X, Hardcover)

The origin of life. The beginning and end of the universe. The workings of the brain. These are the big questions, the ones scientists and nonscientists alike love to ponder and that give deeper meaning to our quest for knowledge. John Maddox, former longtime editor of Nature, has endeavored to outline our progress, and, more importantly, our goals in these and other fields of study.

What Remains to Be Discovered details the past, present, and possible future of science in three sections: "Matter," "Life," and "Our World." The author's broad, multidisciplinary grasp of science is apparent as he guides us effortlessly through the work of scientists from ancient times to the present. Having first shown us an up-to-date map of scientific knowledge, he then emphasizes the large blank spaces still remaining and suggests where explorers might best continue their efforts.

From natural selection to the luminiferous ether, each question answered has provoked many, often more difficult, challenges for a new generation of researchers. Maddox hints at what our future textbooks will say, but is also careful to remind us that the history of science is full of surprises. We'll do well to remember that as we enter the 21st century. --Rob Lightner

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:16 -0400)

This book discusses new areas in physics, intelligence, health, biology, and global catastrophe.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,461,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible