Ordinary People As Monks and Mystics:…

Ordinary People As Monks and Mystics: Lifestyles for Self-Discovery (original 1986; edition 1986)

by Marsha Sinetar

Member:an_eternalstudent
Title:Ordinary People As Monks and Mystics: Lifestyles for Self-Discovery
Authors:Marsha Sinetar
Info:Paulist Press (1986), Paperback, 192 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:spirituality, solitude

Ordinary People As Monks and Mystics: Lifestyles for Self-Discovery by Marsha Sinetar (1986)

The method for producing this essay is unusual. The author ran an ad asking for people to contact her to share their spiritual way. She groups their responses in three parts: The way of the Monk, the way of the Mystic, and the way of Wholeness.
We do gain an appreciation for some different lifestyles; however nothing comes across like a whole person does in autobiographical stories. One easily concludes that her respondents were not "ordinary people".
R. Baty CSBS ( )
  TrinityRedlands | Feb 16, 2015 |
"My research began several years ago [i.e.,1980] when my own inclination and interest made me pull away from the way I saw most people living, in favor of a more solitary, silent, reflective way of life. Although it isn't my purpose to describe my own experience in this book, every book is in some sense autobiographical, and surely this one is no exception. In a very real sense, I am one of the subjects I studied....
"..I simply needed a word which embraced the imagery of silence, the dignity and obedience that automatically accompanies those who embark on an inner journey, whatever route that may take, whatever the costs..."

An organizational psychologist looks at the stories of ordinary people who choose a solitary lifestyle to find wholeness and self actualization.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:30 -0400)

"Speaks very simply to the rising quest of many people to find a more spiritual meaning in a materialistic universe". -- Morton Kelsey Professor Emeritus, Theology, University of Notre Dame. Looks at the stories of ordinary people who choose a solitary lifestyle to find wholeness and self-actualization.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,589,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible