The Effective Executive: The Definitive…

The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things…

by Peter F. Drucker

974None8,822 (4.08)2

English (6)  Spanish (1)  All languages (7)
Classic. Pull this out and re-read parts regularly ( )
  red.yardbird | Jul 20, 2010 |
This is a great book on how to be efficient with your time. Even though this was originally written in the 1960s, this book is just as relevant today. (Well, except the part of how the computer will disrupt the office, that's a little dated.) I really enjoyed some of the anecdotal stories from executives who had to be ruthlessly efficient with their time. (Meetings can't go past 1.5 hours, otherwise, I stop paying attention.) A good read for managers and executives trying to be more efficient with their time. ( )
  shadowofthewind | Sep 8, 2009 |
I included this book in my book: The 100 Best Business Books of All Time. www.100bestbiz.com. ( )
  toddsattersten | May 8, 2009 |
Yes, this is a business book, but one of the rare good business books that I can see myself re-reading periodically into the future. Most business books are such fluff, with so little content, that I feel sorry for all the trees that sacrificed themselves to make what is essentially blank paper. The Effective Executive, on the other hand, is pretty dense. The book is short (174 pages, plus an index). And while many of the points it makes are obvious, they're the types of obvious points that people still miss. At the current stage of my career, there are three points this book made that I'm going to pay close attention to. The first is to continue to manage my time carefully. The second is to focus on the right results I should be achieving: this is something I haven't done enough of. I've been caught in fire-fighting mode. Finally, I'm going to pay more attention to my decision-making. Drucker makes an interesting point, one that I don't have enough experience to agree or disagree with yet. He argues that an effective executive doesn't make many decisions, and he doesn't make them quickly. Instead, he makes a few important decisions. One thing I haven't been asking myself: Am I making the important decisions? ( )
1 vote BrianDewey | Jul 30, 2007 |
A solid, comprehensive and well written overview of what the management function - executed with precision and clarity looks like. It appears to be repackaged from some of his other books/writings and, frankly, feels a tad stale - that may have more to do with his style than substance, though. It's all vintage Drucker, however, and no-one at or above a manager's position should be without a copy. ( )
  rwk | Jan 4, 2007 |

What makes an effective executive?

The measure of the executive, Peter F. Drucker reminds us, is the ability to "get the right things done." This usually involves doing what other people have overlooked as well as avoiding what is unproductive. Intelligence, imagination, and knowledge may all be wasted in an executive job without the acquired habits of mind that mold them into results.

Drucker identifies five practices essential to business effectiveness that can, and must, be learned: Managing time Choosing what to contribute to the organization Knowing where and how to mobilize strength for best effect Setting the right priorities Knitting all of them together with effective decision-making

Ranging widely through the annals of business and government, Peter F. Drucker demonstrates the distinctive skill of the executive and offers fresh insights into old and seemingly obvious business situations.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:05 -0400)

Specific examples of business successes and failures serve to illustrate the essential practices of effective administration.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,467,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible