The Killer Inside Me by Jim Thompson

The Killer Inside Me (1952)

by Jim Thompson

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis (pnorth, gtross)
    pnorth: I strongly suspect Easton Ellis is a fan of The Killer Inside Me and drew on it for American Psycho. In any case, the cold fascination you have as a reader for the killers is the same.
    gtross: I would be very much surprised if Bret Easton Ellis hadn't been influenced by Jim Thompson's first person narrative of a psychopathic mind.
    In a Lonely Place by Dorothy B. Hughes (christiguc)
    Child of God by Cormac McCarthy (Bridgey)
    Bridgey: Both deal with a small town psychopathic killer
    People Live Still in Cashtown Corners by Tony Burgess (ShelfMonkey)
    The Butcher Boy by Patrick McCabe (Booksloth)

English (52)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (56)
Dexter meets 1950's Texas, which seems on the surface like it might be pretty good, but it just didn't click for me. I got too hung up on the misogyny, and the audio narrator wasn't fabulous, either. ( )
  electrascaife | Aug 29, 2018 |
A grande obra prima do Jim Thompson ainda é 1280 almas na minha opinião, com quem Assassino em mim divide o narrador como um integrante da força policial que por acaso também faz as vezes de assassino e como toda narração em primeira pessoa acabamos sentindo empatia mais do que gostaríamos. O grande porém desse livro é a psicologia de buteco que ele emprega, inclusive citando Kraepelin, tudo teria sido tão melhor se não houvesse a inserção do porquê o narrador era assim, num tipo de auto-justificativa patética de uma misoginia internalizada. ( )
  Adriana_Scarpin | Jun 12, 2018 |
Eh. The only things that stands out to me in this book are the psycho's pink-gray shirt and black bow tie. Stylish! ( )
  Joanna.Oyzon | Apr 17, 2018 |
This was a dark book. It holds up pretty well but I am not always a fan of some of the noir conventions. Not a feel good book in any way. Don't read this if you need something light and peppy. I will admit I am surprised it took me so long to read it. This is the type of mystery I would have swallowed whole as a kid. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
This is a darker, slightly loopier granddaddy of TV's Dexter. Stop me if this sounds familiar: a law-enforcement officer, traumatized in childhood and subsequently watched closely by his father, splits his adult days between being a beloved community cornball and sadistically murdering people… and, in the most interesting twist here, we get to see it all from his perspective. It's to Thompson's credit that he mostly pulls this off—I found myself nearly agreeing with the deranged murderer that yes, this person in front of him totally needed to die. What might drag down the book for you a bit are Thompson's excesses. He gets carried away with beat-style passages, his plot is needlessly complicated in the classic noir fashion, and his characters are often painted so broadly you'll roll your eyes. If you think of it as genre writing, you'll forgive these flaws, as they're par for the course. It's up to you to decide if Thompson's violent, unapologetically evil story is a weak noir novel, or an interestingly twisted one. I'm still not fully decided myself. ( )
  mrgan | Oct 30, 2017 |

Jim Thompsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fofi, GoffredoAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martini, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I'd finished my pie and was having a second cup of coffee when I saw him.
"WARNING! WARNING! HITCHHIKERS MAY BE ESCAPED LUNATICS!"
When a sign like this appears by the side of the road in the nightmare world of Jim Thompson, no one even comments on it...which may be one of the reasons that Thompson's work is still worth reading some forty years after it first began to be published. (Foreword)
Striking at people that way is almost as good as the other, the real way. The way I'd fought to forget--and had almost forgot--until I met her.
Did you ever stop to figure that there's all kinds of ways of dying, but only one way of being dead?
The stupid son-of-a-bitch was always doing that. Not just stories about me, but everything. He'd clip out cartoons and weather reports and crappy poems and health columns. Every goddam thing under the sun. He couldn't read a paper without a pair of scissors.
You ask me why I stick around, knowing the score, and it's hard to explain. I guess I kind of got a foot on both fences, Johnnie. I planted 'em there early and now they've taken root, and I can't move either way and I can't jump. All I can do is wait until I split. Right down the middle. That's all I can do...
It was like being asleep when you were awake and awake when you were asleep. I'd pinch myself, figuratively speaking--I had to keep pinching myself. Then I'd wake up kind of in reverse; I'd go back into the nightmare I had to live in. And everything would be clear and reasonable.

Lou Ford is the deputy sheriff of a small town in Texas.  The worst thing most people can say against him is that he's a little slow and a little boring.  But, then, most people don't know about the sickness--the sickness that almost got Lou put away when he was younger.  The sickness that is about to surface again.

An underground classic since its publication in 1952, The Killer Inside Me is the book that made Jim Thompson's name synonymous with the roman noir.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:45 -0400)

Lou Ford is the deputy sheriff of a small town in Texas. The worst thing most people can say against him is that he's a little slow and a little boring. But, then, most people don't know about the sickness--the sickness that almost got Lou put away when he was younger. The sickness that is about to surface again.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,959,722 books! | Top bar: Always visible