The Killer Inside Me by Jim Thompson

The Killer Inside Me (original 1952; edition 1991)

by Jim Thompson (Author)

Member:kswolff
Title:The Killer Inside Me
Authors:Jim Thompson (Author)
Info:Vintage (1991), Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, novel, noir, Texas, law enforcement, serial killer, dark

The Killer Inside Me by Jim Thompson (1952)

In a lonely place by Dorothy B. Hughes (christiguc)
    Child of God by Cormac McCarthy (Bridgey)
    Bridgey: Both deal with a small town psychopathic killer
    American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis (pnorth, gtross)
    pnorth: I strongly suspect Easton Ellis is a fan of The Killer Inside Me and drew on it for American Psycho. In any case, the cold fascination you have as a reader for the killers is the same.
    gtross: I would be very much surprised if Bret Easton Ellis hadn't been influenced by Jim Thompson's first person narrative of a psychopathic mind.
    People Live Still in Cashtown Corners by Tony Burgess (ShelfMonkey)
    The Butcher Boy by Patrick McCabe (Booksloth)

English (43)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  German (1)  English (47)
This is the American Psycho of the fifties. Based on that comparison, I really enjoyed this super creepy book and its terrifying narrator. Thompson knew what he was doing and I will definitely be checking out his other novels now! ( )
  PagesandPints | Sep 1, 2016 |
Well, the title says it all! The man character is the killer in question, and he narrates the tale. Creepy, violent, and premeditated! Chapter 18 is exceptionally well written! It is muddled and cloudy, showing the killer's mind and the frenzied state he lives in. Whew! My favorite Jim Thompson book to date! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jan 23, 2016 |
Not just the usual noir; the cynicism and violence are dialed up a notch, and, as a result, not the sort of book I normally read. However, I was impressed by the writing and the realism of the protagonist Lou Ford, who describes himself as a paranoid schizophrenic but is actually closer to a violent psychopath. Lou reminded me a great deal of Dexter (I've only seen the series, not read the books), in that both hide behind authority, nice guy personas, and cliches, while having little understanding of normal humans or social interaction. While Dexter is portrayed as a sort of kinder, gentler nutball, though, Lou is presented as a deeply diseased man and is much more believable and thus much more disturbing--probably everyone has met a Lou Ford or two without (hopefully) knowing it. ( )
  Michael.Xolotl | Nov 11, 2015 |
Started December 01st, 2012. Reading the foreword by S. King and having read Chandler, Woolrich, etc. and The Grifters by the same author, this will be a great classic. The only question is, will I spoil it by watching the film before finishing it? I do not expect to be the film nearly as good as the book, and try not to read to many comments on a film before seeing it.
Finished the book yesterday short of midnight today.
Great, but not perfect. But fits in the Noir-Series, raw power, hard men, hard women and an ending I find other books lacking too often.
Trying to see the (newer) film in the next days so I can compare it with the book fresh in memory.
  Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |
Lovely and horrendous. ( )
  ChewingPencils | Oct 21, 2015 |
I'd finished my pie and was having a second cup of coffee when I saw him.
Striking at people that way is almost as good as the other, the real way. The way I'd fought to forget--and had almost forgot--until I met her.
Did you ever stop to figure that there's all kinds of ways of dying, but only one way of being dead?
The stupid son-of-a-bitch was always doing that. Not just stories about me, but everything. He'd clip out cartoons and weather reports and crappy poems and health columns. Every goddam thing under the sun. He couldn't read a paper without a pair of scissors.
You ask me why I stick around, knowing the score, and it's hard to explain. I guess I kind of got a foot on both fences, Johnnie. I planted 'em there early and now they've taken root, and I can't move either way and I can't jump. All I can do is wait until I split. Right down the middle. That's all I can do...
It was like being asleep when you were awake and awake when you were asleep. I'd pinch myself, figuratively speaking--I had to keep pinching myself. Then I'd wake up kind of in reverse; I'd go back into the nightmare I had to live in. And everything would be clear and reasonable.

Lou Ford is the deputy sheriff of a small town in Texas.  The worst thing most people can say against him is that he's a little slow and a little boring.  But, then, most people don't know about the sickness--the sickness that almost got Lou put away when he was younger.  The sickness that is about to surface again.

An underground classic since its publication in 1952, The Killer Inside Me is the book that made Jim Thompson's name synonymous with the roman noir.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:45 -0400)

Lou Ford is the deputy sheriff of a small town in Texas. The worst thing most people can say against him is that he's a little slow and a little boring. But, then, most people don't know about the sickness--the sickness that almost got Lou put away when he was younger. The sickness that is about to surface again.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,620,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible