The Lost Queen: A Novel by Signe Pike

The Lost Queen: A Novel (edition 2018)

by Signe Pike (Author), Toni Frutin (Narrator), Simon & Schuster Audio (Publisher)

Member:Twink
Title:The Lost Queen: A Novel
Authors:Signe Pike (Author)
Other authors:Toni Frutin (Narrator), Simon & Schuster Audio (Publisher)
Info:Simon & Schuster Audio (2018)
Rating:*****

The Lost Queen by Signe Pike

I loved everything about this book! The epic history, the thoughtful characters, the action, the romance and everything else! I can't wait for the next installment! ( )
  karen813 | Jan 10, 2019 |
Discover Scottish Camelot from the eyes of the forgotten Scottish queen Languoreth, the twin sister of the druid and warrior who inspired the legend of Merlin, as she and her family toil in a land of magic, sacrifice, superstition, and preservation of the Old Way.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Dec 31, 2018 |
Okay, I'm going to lead off with this blurb from Simon and Schuster about Signe Pike's new novel, The Lost Queen.....

"Compared to Outlander and The Mists of Avalon, this thrilling first novel of a debut trilogy reveals the untold story of Languoreth—a forgotten queen of sixth-century Scotland—twin sister of the man who inspired the legend of Merlin." Hmm, okay - definitely caught my interest. After listening to the first few chapters? Hooked!

Signe has taken a few obscure historical references to an actual sixth century Celtic queen and created an addicting, unputdownable tale of love, honour, duty, fealty, war, intrigue, religion and yes - magic.

Pike's research is so rich with detail. The settings sprang to life - the castles, the forest, the details of everyday life, clothing, food, family and more. The time period encompasses the clash between the Old Ways and burgeoning Christianity and the wars between kingdoms. Again, well detailed and presented.

The characters will draw you in and transport you back to the sixth century. Languoreth is so well drawn - strong and fierce. Her family and friends are just as well drawn. The 'bad guys'? You'll have no trouble identifying them. The romance angle offers up two very different men in Languoreth's life. This part of the plot is not overwhelming to the main story or overdone, instead it's just right.

I love Arthurian legends and it was this part of the book that captured me - the legends, the portents, the signs and the magic.

I chose to listen to The Lost Queen - the reader was Toni Frutin - and she was amazing. She has a wonderful Scottish accent that is so easy to understand and pleasant to listen to. It immediately embodied the mental image I had created for Languoreth. It's rich and full and her narration is so very, very expressive, capturing all the nuances of Signe's book.

Pike's writing is so very good. This first volume of a planned trilogy is satisfying on it's own. But the last few chapters gives us a hint of what will come next for Languorethe's next challenge. I can't wait for the second book and more of The Lost Queen. ( )
  Twink | Nov 6, 2018 |
Let me just note that I have been looking forward to this book since I first received it several weeks ago. I haven’t had a big, thick historical like this to sink my reading teeth into for a while. It takes place in the 6th century in Scotland so we are somewhere in history I love to go hide for a while in a book. I will begin this review by noting that I was enthralled from the start, I was sorry the book had to end and I am beyond thrilled it’s a trilogy.

The book starts with the introduction of twins Languoreth and her brother Lailoken who are mourning the recent loss of their mother. The children are bereft at her loss and not sure how to deal with her absence. At the open of the tale they are 10 years old and their world is changing. Lailoken is training to be a Keeper – one who learns and passes the knowledge of the people down from generation to generation and his sister desires the same but she is the daughter of a king and destined to be married. Languoreth is not pleased with this destiny but life does not always play out as it is ordained.

As restlessness in the land grows a name starts being heard among the nobles – Emrys Pen Dragon has developed a reputation as determined fighter and one who will get his way. As the High King calls all to a meeting Pen Dragon wants to meet with Languoreth’s father. He is unsure as to the advisability of this but feels he cannot refuse. This sets in motion the future for his daughter, his son and his country.

Languoreth grows from that 10 year old child to a woman in love to a wife of a powerful man to a mother in the course of this first book. Her brother plays a vital role and it is his tale too as legend would have it that it is he who became Merlin of King Arthur fame. But it is ultimately her tale as Ms. Pike weaves the story of this forgotten woman of history to piece together the tiny threads left in the written record to bring her back to life. In that she does an excellent job of bringing the ancient world to life.

It’s a time of religious conflict (when is it not?) as the new Christian religion is making inroads and the old ways are starting to fade away. Both Languoreth and Lailoken are believers of the old ways and are resistant to the Christian God. The book ends at the start of a definitive battle that pits the new way against the old and Languoreth’s husband against her brother.

The book is rich in detail from descriptions of the lives of the people, both rich and poor to the food and clothing that are worn. All of these bits of information allow the reader to feel like they are living within the book and existing with the characters. At least it did for this reader. I felt fully immersed in the 7th century world and it took me a while to shake out when I was finished with the book. It was a real let down when I did finish because I just wanted to keep reading. I will anxiously await the second and third books in the series.

There is a detailed author’s note at the end of the book explaining how Ms. Pike came to write the books and what she had as research materials. I so enjoy when a book is based on real people. I am happy to learn of this lost queen from history. ( )
1 vote BrokenTeepee | Oct 4, 2018 |
I haven’t read that many books based on King Arthur so I was curious enough to try this and there aren’t too many books set in sixth-century Scotland either.

Languoreth is a twin of Lailoken who will be known as Merlin. Growing up Languoreth wants to become a Wisdom Keeper, a druid, like her brother and hates the fact that her fate lies in marriage. She is wed to Rhydderch, son of a Christian High King, but she has fallen in love with Maelgwn, one of Pendragon’s man.

Languoreth is an easy character to like. Strong and fearless who soon learns the ways of the court intrigues. Her marriage to Rhydderch doesn’t start in a promising way but in time they develop mutual respect for each other.

It was interesting to see the coming of Christianity and slowly losing the Old Ways. Anglo-Saxons are coming and there are wars and bloodshed. The book is from Languoreth’s point of view and I think it kind of restricts the story. It would have been nice to see what happens elsewhere, like in battles and such.

One real complaint from me is that Languoreth and Maelgwyn’s romance was a bit too instalove for me. They meet and in a manner of days, they’re so in love with each other that they’ll pine for each other for nearly 20 years.

The start dragged a bit but once things start to happen it flows nicely. In the end, I just wanted to know what happens next. All in all, I think this was an enjoyable read and I’m looking forward to the next book. ( )
  Elysianfield | Sep 16, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,687,845 books! | Top bar: Always visible