Crow Stone by Jenni Mills

Crow Stone

by Jenni Mills

English (10)  Dutch (2)  All languages (12)
A rattling good yarn which won't change your life but is hugely entertaining. Why should the boys have a monopoly on that? ( )
  tonidew | Aug 9, 2011 |
This was one of those books that I finished because I time invested into it more than because I enjoyed it. The story was not bad, and the characters were solid, but I found the story slow. I thought I would enjoy it much more than I did. ( )
  nakisisa | Jan 14, 2011 |
Another great read by this author have read a previous book but enjoyed this one more it makes you think of the completely different world that is buried underground and how much history is buried never to be seen again! ( )
  ilurvebooks | Dec 9, 2010 |
I thought that this was a novel that I would like more than I did. The premise and the existing reviews on LT made it sound good but I had a few problems with it. Maybe I should bear in mind that this is a debut novel and I do hope that she writes another as this does show some promise. It is not a bad book but some of the characterisations and scenes were just slightly off, in my opinion.

With a new name, a successful career and a failed marriage behind her Kit returns to Bath to work - stabilising the old mining quarries that are causing subsidence in the buildings above. But memories of her childhood (and an incident in the first chapter) seem to affect her judgement and she acts in ways that seem irresponsible to me. I preferred the sections of Katie as a child, as it seemed the most interesting part of the story.

So it wasn't a complete waste of reading time but it could have been better. ( )
1 vote calm | Nov 18, 2010 |
I enjoyed this book. It was an easy read and held my interest. I didn't spot the twist though perhaps I should have!
The background of the underground quarries at Bath was interesting.
The character of Kit was well drawn but I did think the people around her were a lot less so. I didn't think we ever really got to know much about Gary and I spotted that the archeologist was the creep straight off.
I thought the plot split between the present and the past was very well done and never got confusing.

Spoiler Alert!!

There were several unlikely coincidences - finding her own mother's skull!
and I think in reality Kit would never have returned to Bath or risked her job to go underground illegally but of course then there would be no story.

But there were some very good aspects too - the behaviour of teenage girls - made me cringe in recognition :)

her unwillingness to rock the boat in her job as a woman in a male dominated world.
her love/hate relationship with her father.

I feel like I learned something about Bath and the Mithras cult without any effort.

I give this 4 stars out of 5 and I would read another book by her. ( )
  infjsarah | Mar 2, 2010 |
For my mother, Sheila Mills.
Look at this.

THE DARKER THE PAST, THE DEEPER THE SECRETS.

Kit Parr is a woman with a past, albeit one she'd rather forget. Now a successful engineer, she's spent all her adult life trying to erase the memory of what happened over the long, hot summer of her fourteenth year. When she takes a job shoring up the ancient quarries under her hometown of Bath, however, the secrets she tried so desperately to bury threaten to work their way to the surface. For beneath its sleepy façade, the old spa town is as riddled with unwanted memories as it is with Roman ruins.

But if Kit's past holds untold terrors, her present has its own problems. Her ex-husband is tapping her for money, the miners resent her and someone is making it menacingly obvious that she isn't wanted in Bath. To top it off, her burgeoning romance with Gary, the quarry foreman, is threatening to force open doors to the past that Kit is determined to keep shut. When she stumbles across evident of what could be the archaeological discovery of the decade — a lost Roman temple dedicated to the mystery cult of Mithras — the enigma of her past becomes entangled with a present-day race to discover the secret at the heart of the stone mines, a quest that turns into a dangerous obsession.

As Kit's story plays itself out in the dark labyrinth of tunnels beneath the ancient city, events race to a chilling climax in which past and present collide with disastrous effect. For when the walls Kit built to protect herself come crashing down, she must face the truth she's spent her whole life avoiding — and which threatens to destroy her.

Set in Bath, this thriller from the pen of Jenni Mills uncovers some sinister secrets in the town's ancient stone quarries.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,122,243 books! | Top bar: Always visible