The Watcher by Charles Maclean

The Watcher (1982)

by Charles Maclean

994122,024 (3.94)3 / 5
1980s (1) 4 (1) 1982 (1) bookcrossing (2) dog (1) existential (1) fantasy (1) fiction (12) German (2) horror (14) insanity (2) madness (1) magical fantasy (1) male author (1) mystery (8) mystery fiction (1) nimb (2) novel (5) own (1) owned (1) psychological (2) read (3) science fiction (2) Scotland (1) sf (1) tag (1) thriller (11) to-read (9) unread (1) wife (1)
    The insult by Rupert Thomson (brianc6)
    brianc6: A similar book in many ways, drawing the reader deep into a world of possible madness.

German (2)  French (1)  English (1)  All (4)
Our Review, by LITERAL ADDICTION's Pack Alpha - Michelle L. Olson:
*Complimentary copy received in exchange for an honest review

The Watcher is a deep psychological thriller with mind numbing twists and turns, reminiscent of the good 80's style psycho-horrors where nothing is quite as frightening as the human mind.

I honestly wasn't sure if I would be able to read this book to completion. The Event that takes place at the beginning that sets up the rest of the story is utterly and completely disturbing and I literally had to take a break from the book after reading it to let it settle.

Once I got back to the tale though, it was a steady influx of madness and paranoia, mystery and intrigue, and had me wondering over and over again who the hero and villain really were, or if there were actually any at all!

It's definitely a tale that will have your mind working overtime to try and figure out what's really going on, and even when it's all said and done, if you're like me, you still won't be sure what exactly happened, which all leads to the beauty of the doubt that Charles Maclean weaves into his story.

While not the best horror/thriller I've read recently, it was solid and compelling, and I'm glad I had the chance to read it.

LITERAL ADDICTION gives The Watcher 3 1/2 Skulls. ( )
1 vote LITERALADDICTION | Nov 19, 2012 |
For Jamie
There was no warning of any kind.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,157,306 books! | Top bar: Always visible