Jane Brody's Good Food Book: Living the High…

Jane Brody's Good Food Book: Living the High Carbohydrate Way

by Jane E. Brody

The subtitle is "Living the High-Carbohydrate Way" which is out of fashion at the moment. But these are healthy carbs--with the emphasis on whole grains and vegetables. And it's one of my favorite cookbooks for how it introduces different grains, legumes, nuts and seeds, vegetables and fruits, complete with illustrations.

And there are many, many delicious recipes that are favorites within the book. Hummus, Cream of Cauliflower Soup, Hot and Sour Soup, Peanut Butter-Vegetable Chicken Soup, Mexican Zucchini Soup (a big favorite I've shared with friends), Chili without Carne, Chicken Enchilada, Hearty Oatmeal, Mexican Succotash, Pumpkin Bread, Pumpkin Cookies. Just such a well-put-together book--other than the binding--it's falling apart. Which does make it a pain to use it at this point. If I could buy this book anew, I would. Fortunately, I've made the Mexican Zucchini Soup so many times its in my muscle memory and I need not consult the book. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Sep 12, 2013 |
Even if you agree with the high-carbohydrate diet, you may gag on the high pun content of the prose. ( )
  KarlNarveson | Sep 7, 2011 |
This book came out in 1985. It was one of my favorite cookbooks when we were still mainly vegetarians. The subtitle would probably give some people pause: Living the High-Carbohydrate Way. It doesn't bother me, since I never really got into the low/no carb thing. This is a great book for learning about protein complementarity. If you're looking for some excellent recipes for beans and grains, this book has them. Also good vegetable recipes as well! This book has been stuffed in the back of my cookbook shelf for years. It's like meeting an old friend. ( )
1 vote labwriter | Jun 5, 2010 |

Offers a practical, everyday guide to cooking and eating sensibly that includes information on the major starches and weight control as well as hundreds of recipes and menu plans.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,428,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible