Just Kids by Patti Smith

Just Kids

by Patti Smith (Author)

Other authors: Robert Mapplethorpe (Photographer)

English (132)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  Czech (1)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (140)
Patti Smith is unbelievably talented. We knew that she could write poetry and music and perform, but she is also an incredible novelist as well. Just Kids is one of the few books that I know I will reread again after I finish it. It is a beautiful story of Smith's friendship with artist Robert Mapplethorpe. It's also heartbreaking, but wonderful and definitely worth the read. ( )
  KatieTF | Nov 23, 2015 |
Great story of life, relationships, creativity and art. ( )
  greglinch | Oct 20, 2015 |
Great writing, especially the powerful ending.
  MrGGBS | Oct 11, 2015 |
Cool trip back through the 70's in NYC with Patti and Robert, young lovers who eventually love others yet always care deeply for each other and their art-form. With their friends Andy Warhol, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan and a host of other up and comers they hone their craft and gain notoriety.
Ms. Smith's writing is very fluid and enjoyable to read. A lot of name dropping but if they're part of the story, why not. I certainly recommend this bit of nostalgia. ( )
  Carmenere | May 24, 2015 |
I didn’t know much about either Patti Smith or Robert Maplethorpe except the sort of murky rumors that always surround celebrity, and most of that tawdry. I did know, first hand, the sixties, and that time has always captivated me. As much as I try to stay away from celebrity bios, I just kept hearing praise and more praise for this book, and I finally succumbed and read it.

I’m happy to say that Patti Smith is a good writer, and I’m happy to tell you that this is a story filled with all the details of the sixties that will take you right back to that place and time. It’s not a particularly cheery story; Patti and Robert subsisted on little for a long time and many of the tawdry rumors were genuine. But their story offers hope to all the wanna-be artists in the world. Neither Patti nor Robert had much in the way of a formal education in art. Instead, they were immersed in art and artists, and that finally helped them become the groundbreakers they eventually became. ( )
  debnance | May 10, 2015 |
The reader knows who Smith and Mapplethorpe will become, so it is intriguing to read about his continued attempts to encourage her to become a musician, while she urges him to delve into photography.
“Just Kids” is the most spellbinding and diverting portrait of funky-but-chic New York in the late ’60s and early ’70s that any alumnus has committed to print. The tone is at once flinty and hilarious, which figures: she’s always been both tough and funny, two real saving graces in an artist this prone to excess. What’s sure to make her account a cornucopia for cultural historians, however, is that the atmosphere, personalities and mores of the time are so astutely observed.
It’s possible to come away from “Just Kids” with an intact image of the title’s childlike kindred spirits who listened to Tim Hardin’s delicate love songs, wondered if they could afford the extra 10 cents for chocolate milk and treasured each geode, tambourine or silver skull they shared, never wanting what they couldn’t have or unduly caring what the future might bring. If it sometimes sounds like a fairy tale, it also conveys a heartbreakingly clear idea of why Ms. Smith is entitled to tell one.

Smith, PattiAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mapplethorpe, RobertPhotographersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Speaker, Mary AustinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Much has been said about Robert, and more will be added. Young men will adopt his gait. Young girls will wear white dresses and mourn his curls. He will be condemned and adored. His excesses damned or romanticized. In the end, truth will be found in his work, the corporeal body of the artist. It will not fall away. Man cannot judge it. For art sings of God, and ultimately belongs to him.
I was asleep when he died.

In this memoir, singer-songwriter Patti Smith shares tales of New York City : the denizens of Max's Kansas City, the Hotel Chelsea, Scribner's, Brentano's and Strand bookstores and her new life in Brooklyn with a young man named Robert Mapplethorpe--the man who changed her life with his love, friendship, and genius.… (more)

706 wanted5 pay8 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,959,231 books! | Top bar: Always visible