Just Kids [Paperback] by Patti  Smith

Just Kids [Paperback] (edition 2000)

by Patti  Smith

Member:timoheuer
Title:Just Kids [Paperback]
Authors:Patti  Smith
Info:Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (2000)
Rating:*****
Tags:lang:en, autobiografie, nyc, kunst, künstlerleben, künstler

Just Kids by Patti Smith

English (163)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  Czech (1)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (171)
Patti Smith's acclaimed memoir about her long, complicated, strange, and deeply intimate relationship with the artist Robert Mapplethorpe.

I have to say, there is absolutely no reason for me to think this was a book I was going to like. I have only the vaguest familiarity with Patti Smith's music, and I know Mapplethorpe's work only by reputation. I have absolutely no interest in the NYC arts scene of the 60s and 70s, and the bohemian lifestyle she depicts here has less than zero appeal for me. But I'd heard so many good things about this book that I figured I ought to check it out anyway, and I'm not sorry I did.

The writing is fairly compelling. There's a poetic sensibility to it that might almost be bit overdone, but which ultimately avoids feeling too pretentious by virtue of the fact that there's also a deep sense of sincerity and genuine emotion to it. It's impossible not to respect that, and hard not to be affected by it. When she talked about the days before and after Mapplethorpe's death, I honestly got kind of choked up. And whatever I do or don't relate to, this is an interesting glimpse into a particular time and place and culture, and into the lives of some complex, passionate people. ( )
  bragan | Aug 31, 2018 |
DND due to overload of pretension
  erikasolberg770 | Aug 23, 2018 |
The most beautiful book I've ever read. Inspiring. ( )
  bne | Jul 10, 2018 |
Patti Smith foi fundamental na minha formação musical e poética, tendo nascido um mês antes de minha mãe, Patti é uma espécie de mãe intelectual que moldou minhas afinidades e voltar a ler esse livro é sempre um lembrete que mulher extraordinária ela foi e ainda de fato é, numa prosa acachapante de deliciosa ela demonstra todo o afeto que nutriu por esse amigo/amante e que não se perdeu pelo caminho, sem um pingo de ressentimento ou picuinha, ela delineia a construção de um amor verdadeiro que perpassou pouco mais de duas décadas e o qual nós comumente chamamos de amizade, mas que aqui se mostra tão elevado que não podemos achar palavra que contemple tal plenitude de relacionamento.
Livro fundamental para entender a história - dos anos 60/70, da arte, da música, da poesia, da literatura, da moda, de Nova York - um tratado pleno dos sentimentos e acontecimentos de uma geração. ( )
  Adriana_Scarpin | Jun 12, 2018 |
The bad: it is equal parts name-dropping and arty affectation. The good: Smith's deep connection with Mapplethorpe shines through, and the final section (dealing with Mapplethorpe's death) is genuinely moving. Still have no idea why this made the shortlist for the National Book Awards, though. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
The reader knows who Smith and Mapplethorpe will become, so it is intriguing to read about his continued attempts to encourage her to become a musician, while she urges him to delve into photography.

“Just Kids” is the most spellbinding and diverting portrait of funky-but-chic New York in the late ’60s and early ’70s that any alumnus has committed to print. The tone is at once flinty and hilarious, which figures: she’s always been both tough and funny, two real saving graces in an artist this prone to excess. What’s sure to make her account a cornucopia for cultural historians, however, is that the atmosphere, personalities and mores of the time are so astutely observed.

It’s possible to come away from “Just Kids” with an intact image of the title’s childlike kindred spirits who listened to Tim Hardin’s delicate love songs, wondered if they could afford the extra 10 cents for chocolate milk and treasured each geode, tambourine or silver skull they shared, never wanting what they couldn’t have or unduly caring what the future might bring. If it sometimes sounds like a fairy tale, it also conveys a heartbreakingly clear idea of why Ms. Smith is entitled to tell one.

Smith, Pattiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mapplethorpe, RobertPhotographersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rutten, KathleenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Speaker, Mary AustinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Much has been said about Robert, and more will be added. Young men will adopt his gait. Young girls will wear white dresses and mourn his curls. He will be condemned and adored. His excesses damned or romanticized. In the end, truth will be found in his work, the corporeal body of the artist. It will not fall away. Man cannot judge it. For art sings of God, and ultimately belongs to him.
I was asleep when he died.

Mapplethorpe and she
Meet in their pre-famous days
And forge lasting bonds
(pickupsticks)
Starts broke in New York
Becomes "Mother of Punk". She's
Now music legend
(pickupsticks)

In this memoir, singer-songwriter Patti Smith shares tales of New York City : the denizens of Max's Kansas City, the Hotel Chelsea, Scribner's, Brentano's and Strand bookstores and her new life in Brooklyn with a young man named Robert Mapplethorpe--the man who changed her life with his love, friendship, and genius.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,954,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible