Just Kids by Patti Smith

Just Kids (edition 2010)

by Patti Smith

English (145)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  Czech (1)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (153)
This book provided a wonderful snap-shot(!) of New York in 60s and 70s. The writing is excellent, full of insights and powerful descriptions. I got a bit muddled with the large cast of characters and kept thinking I should have known all these people because they all seemed so important. As it was, I knew many of them but just let the rest flow along with the story. ( )
  rosiezbanks | Aug 26, 2016 |
Had to move this book to the couldn't get through it shelf. The incessant name dropping of the most obscure people made it impossible for me to stay interested and engaged in this book. The story of the friendship between Smith and Mapplethorpe was mired in Smith's obession with Rimbaud and Genet. What a shame as i was really looking forward to reading this book. Yes....on this particular book I am a quitter. :( ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
When people have romantic notions of NYC, quite often they're thinking of the city in the 1960's and 1970's. This is the world brought to life in Patti Smith's memoir JUST KIDS. She takes the reader through Brooklyn and the East Village, into the apartments, clubs, cafes, and bookshops of the day. We have lunch with Alan Ginsberg, attend movie showings at Andy Warhol's factory, chat with Jimi Hendrix, and stock shelves at The Strand bookshop. After reading this book, I felt as though I could close my eyes and see this world and experience its sounds and smells.

But this is not a memoir about New York; it's focus is on the relationship between the author and the artist Robert Mapplethorpe. Finding each other haphazardly, they shared apartments, studio space, and their souls with each other. The reader follows along on their paths of discovering their artistic callings and themselves as humans in the modern world. There are creative highs and lows - many examples of the "starving artist" are found in these pages - but together they weathered them all. Their deep friendship outlasted their romantic relationship and they kept in contact up until Mapplethorpe's death from AIDS in the late 1980's.

While the memoir is incredibly heartfelt and moving, the way that Patti Smith chose to transcribe it is what makes it truly memorable. Each sentence has a power and emotion behind it, so that the writing is not only powerful but powerfully poetic. You share in the tragedies and triumphs, and really feel their world. ( )
  BooksForYears | Jul 16, 2016 |
Just a little bit too much pointless namedropping, though. ( )
  nog | May 7, 2016 |
One of my favourite books. This book deeply inspired me and continues to do so in difficult times. I was delaying finishing it, as I enjoyed the journey. ( )
  Greekdub | Apr 30, 2016 |
The reader knows who Smith and Mapplethorpe will become, so it is intriguing to read about his continued attempts to encourage her to become a musician, while she urges him to delve into photography.

“Just Kids” is the most spellbinding and diverting portrait of funky-but-chic New York in the late ’60s and early ’70s that any alumnus has committed to print. The tone is at once flinty and hilarious, which figures: she’s always been both tough and funny, two real saving graces in an artist this prone to excess. What’s sure to make her account a cornucopia for cultural historians, however, is that the atmosphere, personalities and mores of the time are so astutely observed.

It’s possible to come away from “Just Kids” with an intact image of the title’s childlike kindred spirits who listened to Tim Hardin’s delicate love songs, wondered if they could afford the extra 10 cents for chocolate milk and treasured each geode, tambourine or silver skull they shared, never wanting what they couldn’t have or unduly caring what the future might bring. If it sometimes sounds like a fairy tale, it also conveys a heartbreakingly clear idea of why Ms. Smith is entitled to tell one.

Smith, Pattiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mapplethorpe, RobertPhotographersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Speaker, Mary AustinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Much has been said about Robert, and more will be added. Young men will adopt his gait. Young girls will wear white dresses and mourn his curls. He will be condemned and adored. His excesses damned or romanticized. In the end, truth will be found in his work, the corporeal body of the artist. It will not fall away. Man cannot judge it. For art sings of God, and ultimately belongs to him.
I was asleep when he died.

Mapplethorpe and she
Meet in their pre-famous days
And forge lasting bonds
(pickupsticks)
Starts broke in New York
Becomes "Mother of Punk". She's
Now music legend
(pickupsticks)

In this memoir, singer-songwriter Patti Smith shares tales of New York City : the denizens of Max's Kansas City, the Hotel Chelsea, Scribner's, Brentano's and Strand bookstores and her new life in Brooklyn with a young man named Robert Mapplethorpe--the man who changed her life with his love, friendship, and genius.… (more)

690 wanted5 pay9 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,532,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible