The Deals That Made the World: Reckless…

The Deals That Made the World: Reckless Ambition, Backroom Negotiations,…

by Jacques Peretti

1341,028,022 (3.5)None

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The book's title is reflective of the author's hubris. In ten chapters, averaging 27 pages each, he attempts to set forth the current state (in the world) of subjects such as FOOD, DRUGS, CASH, WEALTH, WORK. His journalistic device is to tie each subject to a "deal", which is described and dated in a few sentences at the beginning of each chapter. As we read, we learn that most often the "deal" is a consequence, not a precipitator, of the events hurriedly described in the chapter. Far from "making the world", the deals are reflective of complex happenings and forces that are always bubbling in our society.

Because Peretti is attempting, in essence, to describe the current "world", he is hopelessly bogged down by his overreach. Every paragraph is so chuck full of happenings, statistics, dates, names and references that his descriptions make very difficult reading. They do not flow.

Stories of economic events provide some of the most fascinating works in the non-fiction world. I have recently given top reviews on this site to two such books: A FIRST CLASS CATASTROPHE, Donna Henriques (2017); FEAR CITY, Kim Phillips-Fein (2017). And I would rather read a Michael Lewis book on the markets than a fast-moving murder mystery anytime. The authors just mentioned take the time, and the pages, to describe the players, their motivations, their personal quirks and the suspense leading up to the denouement. Peretti doesn't do this.

Yes, the author writes well and has chosen interesting topics, but he has chosen way too many to make his book a satisfying page-turner. ( )
  bbrad | May 24, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In the world of business, backdoor deals are everywhere. This book takes on the biggest of the businesses with the most reaching global deals ever made. It covers everything from the food we eat, to the drugs we take, to the cash we use, up to the world of business itself. This is one business book that everyone should read! ( )
  Chris177 | May 15, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was maybe more informative than I wanted it to be. While in some respects I did not learn anything new from a general point of view, the added details certainly did not make me feel better about the economy and state of the world.

Peretti gives details and insight about each 'deal' that he exposes in the book. From the greed to the ambition, this is a no holds barred delve into the backrooms and secret deals that have increased the power of Wall Street while cracking the foundation of working classes around the world.

If you care about the economy or want to understand how we got where we are this is a must read!!! ( )
  CassiMerten | May 13, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Jacques Peretti has written a stronger collection of corporate agreements and targets that have shaped our economy and that will continue to do so than Thomas Friedman's The World is Flat.

In 10 chapters, the author highlights how businesses have focused on disrupting and transforming existing industry, becoming almost neo-feudal in character.

This is a quick and easy read; which is impressive, considering the scope of the book and the stunning amount of money these companies have already made and are made in the industries on the cusp of disruption. ( )
  chaz166 | Apr 23, 2018 |

"...much of the world around us--from the food we eat to the products we buy to the medications we take--is shaped by private negotiations and business deals few of us know about. The Deals That Made the World, takes us inside the sphere of these powerful players, examining ten groundbreaking business deals that have transformed our modern economy. Peretti reveals how corporate executives engineered an entire diet industry built on failure; how PayPal conquered online payments (and the specific behavioral science that underpins its success); and how pharmaceutical executives concocted a plan to successfully market medications to healthy people. For twenty years, Peretti has interviewed the people behind the decisions that have altered our world, from CEOs of multinational corporations to politicians, economists, and scientists. Drawing on his vast knowledge, Peretti reveals a host of fascinating and startling connections, from how Wall Street's actions on food commodities helped spark the Arab Spring to the link between the AIDS epidemic in 1980s San Francisco and the subprime mortgage crisis of 2008. Touching upon tech, finance, artificial intelligence, and the other levers of power in a postglobalization environment, Peretti offers a compelling way to understand the last hundred years--and a suggestion of what the next hundred might hold."--from Jacket flap.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Jacques Peretti's book The Deals That Made the World is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,822,472 books! | Top bar: Always visible