How to Read Poetry Like a Professor: A…

How to Read Poetry Like a Professor: A Quippy and Sonorous Guide to Verse (edition 2018)

by Thomas C Foster (Author)

Member:Nodosaurus
Title:How to Read Poetry Like a Professor: A Quippy and Sonorous Guide to Verse
Authors:Thomas C Foster (Author)
Info:Harper Perennial (2018), 224 pages
Collections:Your library, Literature, Non-Fiction, Read
Tags:poetry, reading, analysis, verse, Thomas C. Foster, Early Reviewers, read

How to Read Poetry Like a Professor: A Quippy and Sonorous Guide to Verse by Thomas C. Foster

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As much as I enjoy reading poetry, I constantly feel like I'm missing the bulk of what the poet intended me to take away from his writing. I took poetry classes in college, as well as classes on line for fun. I learned a lot, and forgot almost as much. Thomas Foster has written a fantastic, and brief, book on the basics of poetry, that is helpful for those reading their first poems as well as those of us who need a brush up after some time away. Foster has a wonderful sense of humor that makes the often boring and difficult learning of poetry's technical aspects, fun and refreshing. Whether teaching us about metric feet, or the important difference between line and sentence, Foster has an innate ability to carry us through the details and provide examples from poems that are both widely popular, as well as those that are less often visited. I would highly recommend this book for readers of every level, whether to help with a deeper appreciation of the reading of poetry, or assisting in the writing of a potential future diamond. ( )
  bukwurm2 | Jun 11, 2018 |
My favorite English professor is back, this time focusing on poetry.

Thomas C. Foster is the author of several books that take a humorous and accessible view of Literature and help those of us who are not academics make sense of all the terms that our English teachers used when our eyes glazed over and we only wanted to read the book already. Or, okay, that's why I did. Basically I wish I had these books when I was an English major, because it would have all made a lot more sense to me. Foster here turns his attention to poetry, explaining rhyme, rhythm, types of poems (sonnets, odes, elegies and more), and breaks down why poems - primarily lyric poetry, but he uses examples from The Iliad and popular songs as well - work. What i like most about Foster is his way of explaining things simply and acknowledging that literature needs to make sense and be enjoyable at face value, or really what's the point? We can enjoy a poem without being able to say that a poem uses trochees, iambs, and anapests to sound the way it does. But learning about those building blocks can expand that enjoyment even further as we realize what craft the poet put into that poem to get it to sound just as perfect as it is. Replete with examples and humorous asides, How to Read Poetry Like a Professor is enthusiastically recommended to poetry enthusiasts and - like me - slightly unsure readers alike. ( )
  bell7 | Jun 2, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thomas Foster teaches readers how to approach poetry to make it meaningful to them. He discusses the poem's sentence structure, encouraging readers to pause of punctuation as one would do in reading other literature. He discusses arrangement into stanzas, rhyme schemes, meter, repetition, and more. He eventually moves into symbolism and other topics which often scare students. He created a readable introduction to poetry, with limited technical jargon. While armchair poetry enthusiasts may be the most appreciative audience, non-majors taking literature classes with a fair amount of poetry will benefit. I received an uncorrected proof through LibraryThing Early Reviewers with the expectation of an unbiased review. ( )
  thornton37814 | May 21, 2018 |
In spite of a decent education, I've never felt like I had a solid understanding of most poetry. This book went a long way toward correcting that, and was entertaining, as well. ( )
  Gingermama | May 18, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thomas Foster discusses different elements of poetry to raise the awareness of the elements and the appreciation of poetry in the reader. Foster does a good job of making it interesting and easy to foolow and remember. I've enjoyed his other books, as his writing style is easy to read and has a lot of good information.

Foster covers a variety of styles, explaining what elements make it what it is. He uses limited technical jargon and carefully explains them when he does.

His writing is easy to read and informative. I plan to seek out other books of his to read. ( )
  Nodosaurus | May 16, 2018 |

"No literary form is as admired and feared as poetry. Admired for its lengthy pedigree--a line of poets extending back to a time before recorded history--and a ubiquitous presence in virtually all cultures, poetry is also revered for its great beauty and the powerful emotions it evokes. But the form has also instilled trepidation in its many admirers mainly because of a lack of familiarity and knowledge. Poetry demands more from readers--intellectually, emotionally, and spiritually--than other literary forms. Most of us started out loving poetry because it filled our beloved children's books from Dr. Seuss to Robert Louis Stevenson. Eventually, our reading shifted to prose and later when we encountered poetry again, we had no recent experience to make it feel familiar. But reading poetry doesn't need to be so overwhelming. In an entertaining and engaging voice, Thomas C. Foster shows readers how to overcome their fear of poetry and learn to enjoy it once more."--Back cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Thomas C. Foster's book How to Read Poetry Like a Professor is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,630,156 books! | Top bar: Always visible