How to Read Poetry Like a Professor: A…

How to Read Poetry Like a Professor: A Quippy and Sonorous Guide to Verse (edition 2018)

by Thomas C Foster (Author)

Member:Nodosaurus
Title:How to Read Poetry Like a Professor: A Quippy and Sonorous Guide to Verse
Authors:Thomas C Foster (Author)
Info:Harper Perennial (2018), 224 pages
Collections:Your library, Literature, Non-Fiction, Read
Tags:poetry, reading, analysis, verse, Thomas C. Foster, Early Reviewers, read

How to Read Poetry Like a Professor: A Quippy and Sonorous Guide to Verse by Thomas C. Foster

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thomas Foster teaches readers how to approach poetry to make it meaningful to them. He discusses the poem's sentence structure, encouraging readers to pause of punctuation as one would do in reading other literature. He discusses arrangement into stanzas, rhyme schemes, meter, repetition, and more. He eventually moves into symbolism and other topics which often scare students. He created a readable introduction to poetry, with limited technical jargon. While armchair poetry enthusiasts may be the most appreciative audience, non-majors taking literature classes with a fair amount of poetry will benefit. I received an uncorrected proof through LibraryThing Early Reviewers with the expectation of an unbiased review. ( )
  thornton37814 | May 21, 2018 |
In spite of a decent education, I've never felt like I had a solid understanding of most poetry. This book went a long way toward correcting that, and was entertaining, as well. ( )
  Gingermama | May 18, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thomas Foster discusses different elements of poetry to raise the awareness of the elements and the appreciation of poetry in the reader. Foster does a good job of making it interesting and easy to foolow and remember. I've enjoyed his other books, as his writing style is easy to read and has a lot of good information.

Foster covers a variety of styles, explaining what elements make it what it is. He uses limited technical jargon and carefully explains them when he does.

His writing is easy to read and informative. I plan to seek out other books of his to read. ( )
  Nodosaurus | May 16, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I liked this book more than I expected I would. While it is steeped heavily in the past, the author makes it accessible as well as entertaining. This book informs the reading of poetry but not the writing. ( )
  dianeham | May 1, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am a literature professor, so supposedly I already know how to do all of this. Nevertheless, I found Foster's book incredibly helpful, not just as a quick cheat when I was teaching sonnets, but as a general reminder that literature can be more intimidating than it needs to be, that as educators half of our job is to demystify the needlessly obscure. Foster is full of great, useful, easy-to-digest info but it's his tone that differentiates this book from similar guides. I can see giving a chapter of this to intro-level students, just so they can be reassured by his admitting things like, "There is perhaps nothing about poetry that is as disconcerting as the whole business of meter and rhythm" (37). Whether you agree with Foster about meter and rhythm or not, his blithe dismissal of "the whole business" would have encouraged me as an intimidated undergrad, might have allowed me to find the confidence to eventually rely on my own knowledge rather than turn to works like this as I nervously remind myself for the twenty-fifth year that sonnets have fourteen lines. I'm still intimidated by poetry, even as I love much of it. The world needs many, many more teachers and writers like Foster. I'm grateful to him, to Harper Perennial and to LibraryThing that I was able to read this great book. ( )
2 vote susanbooks | Apr 24, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Thomas C. Foster's book How to Read Poetry Like a Professor is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,444,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible