Deeply Grateful & Entirely Unsatisfied: A…

Deeply Grateful & Entirely Unsatisfied: A Book for Anyone Wondering if…

1391,028,022 (3.78)None

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A visual and linguistic affirmation of the paradoxes of life.
"Gentleness is strength" "Let's stand firm with our fragility "

PLUSES: Insightful and poignant, humorous and witty. Effectively using the text interspersed with colorful geometrically shaped artwork and hand lettering.

"I'm all I've got to work with."

"You have a limited amount of time during which to become an unrelenting beam of light."

"You are the sign you've been waiting for"

Minuses: The text size of the narrative was tiny in comparison with the hand lettering and artwork and did not support the flow of material throughout in a harmonious manner.

Mixed reactions about some of the artwork - At times the playful mix of geometrics, colors, and shapes was refreshing - it felt original and enhanced the hand lettering, and at other times.the artwork felt random and uninspired.

NOTE: I received a promotional copy of this book with the request for a review. ( )
  nlgeorge | May 14, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
On its surface a charming little book, inside are some thought provoking words. I especially related to “The Merits of Peril” as a great slap upside my head. I know I will be returning to this work often down my road. ( )
  celiafrances | May 5, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Chronicle sent me a free copy of this book in exchange for a review!

This is an art book, not a visual memoir in the way Hyperbole and A Half or Fun Home are visual memoirs - but it still features some interesting themes and some really appealing, cool art. Would recommend, at least as something to page through over a cup of coffee (the book itself is not very substantial). I kind of want to cut out and frame some of the pages - "the neverending project of avoiding future guilt" in particular! ( )
  KLmesoftly | May 1, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The cover of this book intrigued me and I was glad I received it from LibraryThing. This book makes a perfect gift for someone going through "stuff."

While it can be read in one sitting, it's best to take it slow and just open it here and there to the part that affects you at that time.

Happe's watercoloring drawings are reminiscent of soothing adult coloring books and relate to the text on each page. From Chapter 2 -- Life loves tough love to Chapter 9 -- You have a limited amount of time during which to become an unrelenting beam of light, you will be inspired by her whimsical observations about life: I lost my way but then realized it was a stupid way anyway (p. 51). ( )
  DBrigandi | Apr 30, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Fun graphic pictures full of inspiring and thoughtful ideas. ( )
  mel927 | Apr 24, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

's book Deeply Grateful & Entirely Unsatisfied is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,822,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible