Countering Hate by Bob Pearson

Countering Hate

by Bob Pearson

2013735,519 (3.56)2

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The authors look at how people learn to hate and offer some prescriptions on countering this development. They show how, through silence and apathy, society contributes to this process of looking at "other" people negatively through the lenses of gender, race, or religion, a process that develops during the formative years up to the age of about 25, and how the use of soft-power tools by governments rather than reliance on military responses is the best approach to dealing with the phenomenon. ( )
  BooksForYears | Dec 6, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The authors have provided a thoughtful analysis on hate and technology in the 21st Century. Some of the content seemed cliche to the point of a self help book, but there were real world applications throughout the text. While most of the content is focuded on Islamic terrorism and hate, I found no implicit bias that would slant the context of the book. This book would serve as a good suplimental text in courses on sociology, psychology, and religion. ( )
  kristinhwilson | Aug 23, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
DNF @ p178. Countering hate is a noble goal but this book isn't going to shed much additional light or blaze any paths I can see. Reads like a vanity book published to raise someone's image or prior to applying for a grant or political position so they can say they've been published. Lots of hand waving about how a database on the internet is gonna solve problems. Let's be real. There is vast underestination of the effort in representing knowledge about real world events like terrorist attacks. The best computer science minds in the world would be needed. That's just to build it. Then to keep it clean and draw any conclusions from it? Coming from a specialist in database management, knowledge representation and artificial intelligence let me say anyone claiming a magic database is going to stop terrorism, or even lead to any new insights, is most likely selling you a bill of goods. The constant interruption with sidebars by guest authors often added nothing and I felt the book was just not moving towards any kind of actionable conclusion other than if you see a hateful message on social media, write back and say "you don't speak for me." Wow revolutionary. But I'm not on the ISIS group so there goes that idea. Did not finish at page 178. ( )
  PeterZed | Jun 20, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
If you are in search of something timely to read, here's an appropriate suggestion. The title of the work by Bob Pearson and Haroon K. Ullah is this: Countering Hate: How, hate and extremism form…and how we can stop it together. These men are of the mindset that something can be done to turn the tide away from the ugliness that has been spawned by the hatred in today’s world. Theirs is a proactive approach that our world leaders would be well advised to listen to and heed.

I like these guys' positive interpretation as to how most people in the world see things. They view a whopping 7.4 billion of the earth’s 7.5 billion people as believing in doing the right thing! Now that is true optimism! One of the most profound statements in the entire book comes within the introduction: “We can change our world if we choose to do it together.” The book is a rallying cry waiting for people who are willing implement action on its recommendations.

In order to know how to counter hate, one must understand how hate works. It is not something we’re born with. It’s instilled. The authors do a good job of describing how hate is cultivated. They give examples of how hate manifests itself around the world. More importantly, they present ideas of how to become part of the movement to counter hate. Social media is an important tool that is beneficial to that movement. Reading this book should give you an excellent understanding of the use of social media as an important worldwide influence.

If you get this, be prepared to take the time to slowly savor and digest the thoughts. That’s the wise way to approach it.
  JamesBanzer | Jun 19, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have some mixed thoughts about this book. There are some really interesting ideas in here from people with diverse expertise, and is widely applicable to all types of extremist hate groups. However, the focus in the text is on countering Muslim extremism. It's presented as a timely example of a much wider problem, and I think the authors were careful and sensitive in their approach here, which I appreciate, but I still find myself wishing that they had taken a broader approach. Statistically speaking, we in the States are at much higher risk of violence from homegrown terrorists (including white supremacists, MRAs, incels, and anti-choice activists) than from religious radicals in the Middle East, and Islamophobic hate crimes have also increased under this administration. I worry that speaking singularly about Muslim violence in this way could have we the unintended effect of legitimizing people's fear and stigmatization of our peaceful Muslim neighbors while white Christian male terrorists continue to operate under too many people's radars. Additionally, the book does not go far enough to analyze the root causes (e.g. Western imperialism) behind Islamic terrorism, in my opinion. This kind of hostility doesn't exist in a void; while I think there are certainly steps that can be taken now to deradicalize some extremists and prevent future acts of terrorism, the solutions in this book can only go so far until we acknowledge and repair the actions behind the reactions.
  theodarling | Jun 5, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Bob Pearson's book Countering Hate is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,917,624 books! | Top bar: Always visible