Occupation Child by T. Styppas

Occupation Child

by T. Styppas

Told through the eyes of an observant and resilient boy, the book begins with the German seizure of Athens in 1941. Grim events of war, displacement, and exile never extinguish the curiosity - even the joys - of his childhood. Compelling writing mixes reality and fantasy to concoct a memorable tribute to the human spirit, from Asia Minor to Greece to Canada. -- Douglas Babington, the Bivouac Prayers. "The ugliest phases of the Civil War were just beginning. It would pit household against household, village against village, and sometimes, brother against brother. The blood-letting would go on and on. The adults seemed to sense that all of this was going to happen and they only spoke in muted tones." -- Tasouli With curiosity and humor Tasouli tells us about his life, including stories about his cat the Resistance hero, the intricate relationships between a young Jewish physician, German offi cers, and Greek partisan communists and their British captives. A strange character appears in his dreams, sometimes supportive, sometimes terrifying, and they develop a strong bond. Occupation Child is ultimately about how a child views hunger, language, politics and love.… (more)
    Girl at War by Sara Novic (MIRI101)
    MIRI101: It is a tale of war also told through a child's eyes.

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed learning about the historical aspect but wish the story had taken hold in a richer fashion. ( )
  MIRI101 | Feb 26, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Told from the eyes of a little boy, this story of World War II is written in a simple style. Tasouli is an obedient child with high curiosity. As a child who lives in wartime, he clearly knows too much and grows up too fast in the mind and heart. As this story is written from memory, I found it rather difficult to keep track of time. But it didn't lessen the enjoyment. Tasouli's learning about right or wrong, cultures of people from different countries, and his interaction with the Voices are very fun to read and his changes during growing up are strongly felt. This story is really worth reading. I would recommend this book to readers who love historical fiction.

I received a free copy of this book in accordance with the terms of Librarything Early Reviewer program. ( )
  fajriy_arunna | May 19, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I did not enjoy this book. Although it had some very interesting parts, and it was a great perspective of the wartime occupation of Greece, especially from a child's perspective, the treatment of day to day activities got old. ( )
  cschloem | May 17, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
First off, let me say that my comments on this book may sound derogatory, but that is not at all my intent, nor should it deter anyone from reading the book. They are simply my opinions and should be taken as such.

I went into this book hoping for a story of a young boy's experiences during the Nazi occupation of Greece. What I got was an apparent attempt to describe the entire world around the boy.

It's as if the author is trying (and almost succeeds, in fact!) to chronicle every minuscule occurrence, situation, thought and emotion of his childhood, along with the general atmosphere of the Greek society.

This overabundance of information detracted from what should be a very human story, and made me feel as if I were reading some documentary treatise instead of a personal memoir.

It's as much the fault of a lack of competent editing as it is the lack of experience on the part of the author. Also if the book had been better formatted it might have made it a bit easier to read - The lack of adequate paragraph separation added to the reading discomfort by making the already-long passages seem even more arduous to take.

I also found that it was sometimes very difficult to distinguish the narrator's voice, as it would often switch from the very child-like views and outlooks of the boy in the story, to the now-adult (and elderly adult at that) thoughts and feelings of the author. It could be said that this gives one a more complete sense of it all, but it rather had the effect of confusing me and thereby throwing off the flow of the story.

I did not finish the book. I got about 150 pages in and could take no more. I may at some point in the future pick it back up again and try to finish it, as I feel somewhat apologetic toward the author's childhood self by not listening to his entire story, but we shall see.

The reason for my three star rating is because I was uncomfortable giving it only two. The author evidently poured his heart and soul into the work and it deserves at least three stars. ( )
  Zaphod2015 | May 11, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is an important book partly because of the history it covers and partly because it uses the point of view of a child. The German occupation and the subsequent civil war in Greece have been covered from an historical perspective and sometimes form a hero's perspective but this work tells us how one child experienced those brutal, fraught and treacherous times.

I have already recommended it to a lot of British ex-pats living in Greece because it highlights so many insights into Greek family life and modern Greek history - simple things like the use of the familiar and diminutive forms within families are explained entirely within a gripping story of a young boy growing up and coming to understand both the world and adults and their flaws and failings.

Essentially warm and human Mr Styppas takes an interesting approach to his storytelling that comforts and captivates and, in my opinion, had he had a good editor this could have been - and still could be - a very good book.

It is often said that everybody has one book in them and mostly I disagree but Mr Styppas had a book in him and he has shared it with us and for that I am grateful ( )
  papalaz | May 2, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

T. Styppas's book Occupation Child is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

T. Styppas's book Occupation Child was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,338,355 books! | Top bar: Always visible