Origamy by Rachel Armstrong

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I liked the premise of the story. I, too like other reviewers found the books difficult to read and unusually for me stopped reading part way through.
  TinaC1 | Jul 22, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This science fiction book was difficult to read for me, not really because of the anguage, but because I could not see any interesting direction to the story until about 2 thirds of the book were passed. During most of the book, each of the short explorations of the main character is just an excuse to briefly present one of our present planetary wide problems in a very shortly described science fiction setting. It can make readers think about this or that issue, because they are real issues that should be addressed on Earth, but presenting those issues all together like that in short chapters does not make a good science fiction story. It might have been better to take just one such problem and write a story that revolves around it and proposes - in a science finction setting - possible solutions for it. The plot starts to exist at the end of the book, when the spider invasion starts, but then again I was disappointed by the ending. ( )
  goodwaterreader | Jun 4, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found very difficult to go through this book. Armstrong knows a lot of things and she is eager to explain them at length; but these detours add nothing to the story which remained mostly unclear to me. The history of the circus family, the main character Mobius (with no umlaut) and the menace to our universe seem to run in parallel without any real intermixing. Towards the end of the book the plot seems to thicken a bit, but this was not enough at least for me. ( )
  .mau. | May 22, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Origamy is a science fiction novel by scientist Rachel Armstrong. It follows the adventures of Mobius, a member of large clan of spacetime travellers. The Origamers use their circus skills and abilities to perceive and manipulate spacetime “threads” to help maintain and repair the order of the cosmos. After a difficult spacetime trip, Mobius has forgotten much of what she knows about who she is and what her family does. In the process of rediscovering herself, she explores the cosmos and finds a dark threat from outside our universe. Can Mobius relearn all she needs to in time to help her family save the universe?
As other reviewers have noted, I found this novel difficult to get into and to finish reading. It is more like a series of vignettes, rather than a novel. There was a great deal of description, but not as much plot. Much of the description was beautifully written. Many of the vignettes were allegories of issues of our time: climate change, pollution, the current polarized political situation, bigotry and xenophobia, I enjoyed many of these. Some were short and interesting discussions on alien physiology or society. One of the techniques the author used was to include long lists of synonyms of a term in her descriptions. This was amusing the first couple of times; less so the third or fourth. I also found the amount of bugs and slimy things were beyond my comfort level. I did enjoy the section where Mobius went back to school to relearn her art. I found the ending of the novel was a let down.

I don’t know if I can recommend this book. Much of the writing is beautifully done, but I don’t think it is successful as a novel. Readers who enjoy discussions of xenobiology, alien societies, and alternate mythologies might find it interesting. Readers looking for a good sci-fi space yarn should look elsewhere. ( )
  carod | May 14, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm so glad to read the other reviews of this book - I thought it was just me. Like others, I tried to like this book, but I just couldn't. I made through the first few chapters, determined to give it a chance but finally gave up. I just couldn't convince myself to care. I found the author's writing to be ponderous and pseudointelluctual, with a supposed foundation of "why use 1 word if 20 will do". I'm sure there are people out there, somewhere, who will absolutely love this book, but I'm definitely not among them. ( )
  bboxfan | May 8, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Rachel Armstrong's book Origamy is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,822,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible