Wired by Caytlyn Brooke

Wired (2018)

by Caytlyn Brooke

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I don't normally read this genre but it was interesting. The concept of being addicted to technology is getting to be something more people can relate to.
Maggie, her roommate, Sarah, & her brother, Andy all get the latest in technology, the Vertix H2. It attaches to the back of your neck & you can get on social media or any app and have a virtual reality like experience and control it with your mind. It's a rush that is intoxicating and quite addictive. But Maggie finds out that it's an addiction that can be deadly. As her addiction grows, she finds it harder and harder to disconnect and get back to reality. ( )
  MKarpinske | Oct 2, 2018 |
Wired from the mind of Caytlyn Brooke is an awesome display of world building up and down from beginning to end, from the holographic communications of the obsolete iJewel to the Cannon Eye tech for corrective lenses to Weather Cat (which includes a snazzy bit of character building) for boring weather apps. At the heart of it all is the Vertix H2 a technological wonder conceived by the literary genius of Brooke and reminiscent of Orson Scott Card’s “desk” in Ender’s Game which all but predicted the coming of the tablet.

But this brilliant raw, well-written sci-fi is not a treatise on tech as much as it is the addiction to it. It’s timely, foreboding, and possibly a foreshadowing of things to come. Brooke doesn’t dress this dystopian for adults, that could be read by teens, up. She doesn’t pull any punches. It’s ugly in all ways addictions can be. Maggie is your typical complex character that has a good amount going for her and at the same time, like you and me, longs for a little bit more. And she’s willing to work for it until she stumbles across the Vertix and all Hell breaks loose. Brooke writes with a fierce sensually that jumps off the page. Wired reminds me of a book version of Darren Aronofsky’s Requiem For A Dream with more than a touch of Stephen King. Quite a breakthrough. It’s what I hoped Ready Player One would be. Looking forward to anything else Brooke writes. ( )
  jwins2hot | Jul 30, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a compelling story about technology addiction - in this case, a future technology that connect people directly to the internet and their apps. It was a quick read, but many parts verged on the gross (descriptions of vomiting, gore, etc) which was not what I expected when I picked up the story. ( )
  sylliu | Jun 23, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Wow. This book was really well done. Couldn't decide whether I felt sorry for the main character or despised her (so I guess it was both!). Terrific story about a near future, examining whether we're controlling technology, or it's controlling us.
The only disappointment was that the author referenced the fact that different people were affected to different degrees, but then never explored this issue. Perhaps in a sequel??!!

I received an early review copy; this review is my honest opinion. ( )
  LaurieGienapp | Jun 22, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Maggie Stone reluctantly goes along with her brother, Andy, and her best friend/roommate, Sarah, to the launch party of the Vertix H2. The Vertix is an innovative device that connects to your brain stem and allows you to control virtual reality with your mind. It becomes an addiction for Maggie and it's quickly ruining her life.

I could not put this book down. Although Maggie was frustrating and kind of childish at times I was so wrapped up in her life. Everyone felt real and this new Vertix could very well happen in the near future. It sounds amazing, too, to be honest. There were some cool apps. Since it's split screen, you could see the places you're looking at as they are in the present as well as how they looked in the past. Very interesting and creative. The author lost me towards the end - it was just a tiny bit too long and felt different from the rest of the book as Maggie's addiction and her life spiraled out of control, but overall I enjoyed this story of being addicted to the newest technology, social media and virtual reality. It's relatable in this day and age.

I won a copy of this book through LibraryThing. Thank you to BHC Press. ( )
  jenn88 | Jun 4, 2018 |
To my mother, thank you for always putting us first and for teaching me what it means to have an imagination.
The first time had been a dare.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Caytlyn Brooke's book Wired is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Caytlyn Brooke is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

BHC Press

An edition of this book was published by BHC Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,590,203 books! | Top bar: Always visible