The Plague by Albert Camus

The Plague (1947)

by Albert Camus

Other authors: Stuart Gilbert (Translator)

12,090130212 (3.95)2 / 412

English (118)  Italian (3)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (130)
12 ( )
  EDHSLC | Feb 4, 2016 |
The Plague is about an African town that is hit by a plague epidemic and has to be shut off from the rest of the world for nearly a year. It deals heavily with the themes of destiny and man's role in the universe.

I had no idea what to expect from Camus, but I was pleasantly surprised by how good this book is. It also helped that the previous owner had taken a lot of notes in my copy that went a long way towards explaining hidden meanings. I probably should have read a little slower, but I'll save that for the next time I read it. Obviously this is a very depressing book because a lot of people die, so it's not for everyone. I would recommend this one to anyone who's interesting in reading Camus because I really liked it. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
Saya menyukai 'setting' cerita ini. Dengan cara meletakkan pelbagai watak yang mempunyai karekter dan latarbelakang yang berbeza di sebuah tempat yang diserang wabak, tanpa jalan keluar 'warna sebenar' setiap orang didedahkan. Sebuah kisah yang mengkaji sifat sebenar manusia dalam menghadapi saat paling getir dalam hidup.

aziz_zabidi | Dec 5, 2015 |
I just finished reading this for the second time, I feel like I got more this time! I love Camus, his humanity, compassion, his empany for all. This is a great book! ( )
  michaelbartley | Nov 28, 2015 |
This book struck a lot of really personal nerves for me this time through, after my own year of disaster and emotional quarantine, so it's a bit hard to talk about. But I will say, the prose is stunning, and the reason I love this book so much more than The Stranger is that its characters are disconnected and terribly alone as well, but they are trying so hard to connect, and the whole book is about that the striving and the precious moments of success. ( )
  Tafadhali | Nov 18, 2015 |

Camus, Albertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gilbert, StuartTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Corsari, WillyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gilbert, StuartTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'It is as reasonable to represent one kind of imprisonment by another, as it is to represent anything that really exists by that which exists not! -' ('Robinson Crusoe's preface' to the third volume of Robinson Crusoe, Daniel Defoe).
The unusual events described in this chronicle occurred in 194- at Oran.
Les curieux événements qui font le sujet de cette chronique se sont produits en 194., à Oran.
Le matin du 16 avril, le docteur Bernard Rieux sortit de son cabinet et buta sur un rat mort, au milieu du palier
"Oran, however, seems to be a town without intimations; in other words, completely modern."
The distinction can be made between men and, for example, dogs; men’s deaths are checked and entered up.
"They fancied themselves free, and no one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."
"In normal times all of us know, whether consciously or not, that there is no love which can't be bettered; nevertheless we reconcile ourselves more or less easily to the fact that ours has never risen above the average."
"You'd almost think they expected to be given medals for it. But what does that mean—'plague'? Just life, no more than that."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679720219, Paperback)

The Nobel prize-winning Albert Camus, who died in 1960, could not have known how grimly current his existentialist novel of epidemic and death would remain. Set in Algeria, in northern Africa, The Plague is a powerful study of human life and its meaning in the face of a deadly virus that sweeps dispassionately through the city, taking a vast percentage of the population with it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:11 -0400)

Chaos prevails when the bubonic plague strikes the Algerian coastal city of Oran. A haunting tale of human resilience in the face of unrelieved horror, Camus' novel about a bubonic plague ravaging the people of a North African coastal town is a classic of twentieth-century literature.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185139, 0141045515, 0141049235

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,171,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible