La Peste (Folio Series, 42) (French Edition)…

La Peste (Folio Series, 42) (French Edition) (original 1947; edition 1972)

by Albert Camus

11,545120233 (3.94)2 / 385
Member:albertosantini
Title:La Peste (Folio Series, 42) (French Edition)
Authors:Albert Camus
Info:Gallimard (1972), Edition: GALLIMARD, Mass Market Paperback, 279 pages

The Plague by Albert Camus (1947)

English (111)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (120)
Au restaurant de l'hôtel, il y a toute une famille bien intéressante. Le père est un grand home maigre, habillé du noir, avec un col dur. Il a le milieu du crâne chauve et deux touffes de cheveuc gris, à droite et à gauche. Des petits yeux ronds et durs, un nez mince, une bouche horizontale, lui donnent l'air d'une chouette bien élevée. Il arrive toujours le premier à la porte du restaurant, s'efface, laisse passer sa femme, menue comme une souris noire, et entre alors avec, sur les talons, un petit garçon et une petite fille habillés comme des chiens savants. Arrivé à sa table, il attend que sa femme ait pris place, s'assied, et les deux caniches peuvent enfin se percher sur leurs chaises. Il dit > à sa femme et a ses entants, débite des méchancetes polies à la première et des paroles définitives aux héritiers:

Et la petite fille est prête à plaurer. C'est ce qu'il faut.

Ce matin, le petit garçon était tout excité par l'histoire des rats. Il a volue dire un mot à table:

>, a dit le souris noire.

Les deux caniches on piqué le nez dans leur pâtée et la chouette a remercié d'un signe de tête qui n'en disait pas long.

Le Peste, page 25

behemothing | Oct 25, 2014 |
I enjoyed reading The Plague by Camus. A short story in a style I found similar to Kafka in many ways. I enjoyed the suspense and good start of the story and the characters we were introduced to were all believable and real. Having travelled quite a bit in my life and being away from family/friends, I could relate well to how Camus wrote about longing and being separated from family for long periods. Another meaning I gather from the story is also the purpose of striving for good and benefit of society, despite conditions that may seem pointless or overwhelming. ( )
  briandarvell | Oct 22, 2014 |
Human beings tend to cling to convenient obliviousness - 'I haven't seen it, so it can't really exist!' - in spite of embarrassing, burgeoning bodies of evidence to the contrary. In order for this comfortable bliss of ignorance to be maintained, it follows that any flagging up of the problem will be met with denial: so naturally you get accusations of lying, or exaggeration. These aren't always intentionally unkind - I think they're often motivated by a horrified inability to accept the severity of the problem as by a deliberate attempt at dismissal. - Laura Bates, Everyday Sexism
This quote explains perfectly the ignoring of all the warning signs in The Plague, especially by Dr. Rieux and his colleagues. A stampeding immigration of thousands of infected, dying rats doesn't raise an alarm, really?!

A riveting 100-page opener filled with realistic personal, medical, social, and legal observations and their emotional repercussions was followed by an increasingly introspective and philosophical narrative and dialogue. Unfortunately I wasn't as enamoured with the slower paced latter than I was the action-packed former. However, it does perfectly reflect the tiresome nature of the plague: being imprisoned in the town under quarantined conditions, unable to leave or communicate with the outside world, separating friends and family.

The stifling heat of summer, the inescapable smell of burning bodies and the only news of note being the number of dead that day, becomes insufferable, but the people must endure for they have no choice. All emotions are heightened in the face of the apocalyptic nature of the plague, randomly killing everyone around you - fear, depression, desperation. One could've even take solace in their pets as they're exterminated in case they spread the disease, which deprives one old man of his favourite pastime - spitting on cats. (Haha! Sorry, I'm a dog-person.)

This story of triumph and tragedy covers 8 months (Apr 16 to Jan 25) and is set in 1940s Algeria, and by the end I was just as exhausted and tired of the plague as Oran's residents, Dr. Rieux especially.

*Read the translation by Robin Buss.
**Read as part of The Dead Writers Society's Around the World challenge.
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
(review originally written for bookslut)

To be perfectly honest, I was more that prepared to dislike The Plague -- I was actually relishing the idea of hating it. Let's just say that my first encounter with Camus, The Stranger, did not go well. That book was one of the most annoying and frustrating reading experiences of my young life, second only to Ethan Frome, the book I love most to hate. But based on the amount of respect given to Camus by friends whose opinions in books I usually trust, I knew I had to give him a second chance. It was indeed possible that The Stranger was an incredibly interesting book, and that there was only something about my state of mind at the time that kept me from appreciating its subtle nuances. As much as I wanted to believe that, the thought of picking up and reading it again filled me with a sick sense of dread. So I chose an alternate route: I read The Plague, instead.

From the beginning, I sat in a state of anticipatory judgement of the book. I didn't want to like Camus. And the beginning of the book just did not win me over. Having both seen and read Stephen King's The Stand, and read entirely too many brutal and thorough books on the AIDS epidemic, it was highly unlikely that any description Camus might give of the plague would shock or move me much in comparison. As his book is set in relatively modern times, there was also not the shock of general filth and sewage running in the streets that might have been present in other accounts of plague.

If shock or horror would not draw me into the book, I didn't anticipate compassion to do so either. As in The Stranger, the characters of The Plague are not an emotive bunch. The doctor, Rieux, watches hundreds die every day and is separated from his wife for the duration of the plague -- he grinds on. His closest friend, Tarrou, keeps a detailed journal comprised entirely of observations of other people, the only personal details he records come very near the end of the plague, when he is presumably too exhausted to censor himself. "Well," one might say, "those are men, those were different times, you can't expect men to express their emotions, what about the women?" What about the women? What an excellent question! The only women in the book are the exiled wives from whom, conveniently, nothing can be heard, and Rieux's mother, who is even less emotive than Rieux himself.

I might have set the book aside entirely had it not been assigned for me to read for the 100 books list, and for that I am grateful. Because after plowing doggedly through the first three parts of the novel, it was in the fourth that the book finally set its hooks into my chest. In a brief moment of respite, Tarrou and Rieux sit on a terrace overlooking the town, and Tarrou tells Rieux how he came to be the man that he is. I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, so I will just say that Tarrou finally gave me something to identify with and a reason to be involved in the book. His struggle as an athiest pacifist riveted me, and from that point on I could hardly bear to put the book down. Unfortunately, there was little left to the book after that point, but it was enough. I was converted. I could finally agree with all of those who consider Camus to be a great author.

But will I ever give The Stranger another try? Perhaps in a few more years.... ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
My first (and, so far, only) Camus novel. It's a dark, sad journey down from the very first illness. There are no twists; every plot twist, every spoiler, is well-foreshadowed and (if you're paying attention) evident long before they're revealed.
I do not speak or read French (much to my own chagrin), so I read Gilbert's English translation. I'm not sure how true this version stays to the original, but I must commend Mr. Gilbert as there are passages which are poetry, pure and simple. ( )
  zhyatt | Aug 10, 2014 |

Camus, Albertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Corsari, WillyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gilbert, StuartTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'It is as reasonable to represent one kind of imprisonment by another, as it is to represent anything that really exists by that which exists not! -' ('Robinson Crusoe's preface' to the third volume of Robinson Crusoe, Daniel Defoe).
The unusual events described in this chronicle occurred in 194- at Oran.
Les curieux événements qui font le sujet de cette chronique se sont produits en 194., à Oran.
Le matin du 16 avril, le docteur Bernard Rieux sortit de son cabinet et buta sur un rat mort, au milieu du palier
"Oran, however, seems to be a town without intimations; in other words, completely modern."
The distinction can be made between men and, for example, dogs; men’s deaths are checked and entered up.
"They fancied themselves free, and no one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."
"In normal times all of us know, whether consciously or not, that there is no love which can't be bettered; nevertheless we reconcile ourselves more or less easily to the fact that ours has never risen above the average."
"You'd almost think they expected to be given medals for it. But what does that mean—'plague'? Just life, no more than that."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679720219, Paperback)

The Nobel prize-winning Albert Camus, who died in 1960, could not have known how grimly current his existentialist novel of epidemic and death would remain. Set in Algeria, in northern Africa, The Plague is a powerful study of human life and its meaning in the face of a deadly virus that sweeps dispassionately through the city, taking a vast percentage of the population with it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:44 -0400)

Chaos prevails when the bubonic plague strikes the Algerian coastal city of Oran. A haunting tale of human resilience in the face of unrelieved horror, Camus' novel about a bubonic plague ravaging the people of a North African coastal town is a classic of twentieth-century literature.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185139, 0141045515, 0141049235

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,330,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible