L Etranger (Folioplus Classiques) (French…

L Etranger (Folioplus Classiques) (French Edition) (original 1942; edition 2005)

by Albert Camus

24,09529145 (3.97)1 / 482
Member:carolynkarp1
Title:L Etranger (Folioplus Classiques) (French Edition)
Authors:Albert Camus
Info:Gallimard (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 205 pages
Tags:Heart of Darkness

The Stranger by Albert Camus (1942)

The Trial by Franz Kafka (chrisharpe, DLSmithies)
    DLSmithies: Two protagonists on trial without really understanding what they're being accused of - it's just a question of degree.
    Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky (chrisharpe, DLSmithies, edelpao)
    DLSmithies: A compare-and-contrast exercise - Raskolnikov is all nervous energy and hypertension, whereas Meursault is detatched, calm, and won't pretend to feel remorse. Two masterpieces.
    Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre (roby72)
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (SanctiSpiritus)
    No Exit and Three Other Plays by Jean-Paul Sartre (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: I read both works in French class. Though Albert Camus denied being an existentialist, both L'Étranger (The Stranger) and Huis Clos (No Exit) have some common themes and are among some of the most important 20th century French works of literature.
    The Man Who Watched Trains Go By by Georges Simenon (thorold)
    thorold: Respectable bourgeois discovers absurdity of life and commits motiveless crime.
    Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky (hiddenpunk)
    Whatever by Michel Houellebecq (sanddancer)
    Barabbas by Pär Lagerkvist (Troddel)
    The Meursault Investigation by Kamel Daoud (Philosofiction)
    The Fall by Albert Camus (chrisharpe)
    The Family of Pascual Duarte by Camilo José Cela (thatguyzero)
    The Adversary by Emmanuel Carrere (bertilak)
    She Came to Stay by Simone de Beauvoir (JuliaMaria)
    Cosmos by Witold Gombrowicz (Bitter_Grace)
    The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick by Peter Handke (lewbs)
    Just Revenge : A Novel by Alan M. Dershowitz (LCBrooks)
    LCBrooks: Complementary works that create a powerful foundation for a philosophical debate on revenge.
    The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (SanctiSpiritus)
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (Sylak)
    Sylak: Similar in feel and with the same sense of futility throughout.
1940s (3)
Find (4)

English (254)  French (9)  Spanish (8)  Dutch (4)  Italian (4)  Portuguese (2)  Danish (2)  Finnish (2)  Hebrew (1)  English (1)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (290)
Read this many many years ago; I remembered little except the tone of absence and disconnectedness. Now I picked it up again to read in preparation for [b:The Meursault Investigation|25263557|The Meursault Investigation|Kamel Daoud|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1433252078s/25263557.jpg|41116368]. ( )
  TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |
Stunning and something totally new for me. His concise language strengthens his character's indifference towards, well, basically everything.

I read it in one go in about 3 hours. Can't wait to read more Camus.
  bartt95 | Apr 10, 2016 |
I began this book with great interest as it's a classic I've never read and felt it was a whole in my literary education. It reads well, but I found the protagonist so cold and unlikable that I put the book down for more than a month before picking it up again. Even then I would only read it for short periods of time. Indeed, when things go very wrong for Mersault I had absolutely no sympathy for him, though I certainly deplore the manner in which he is slated to die at the end of the book. I believe he was his own worst enemy and, as such, was destined to lose his case, as he certainly did. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Apr 3, 2016 |
Mr. Meaursault is an outsider, a stranger: a French person living in Algeria. He seems, at times, almost autistic in his lack of interest in the world around him; he finds no meaning in anything. He is willing to marry his girlfriend not because he loves her (love is meaningless) but because she wants him to. He is willing to help a neighbour get revenge on his mistress even though he barely knows him. Then, he commits a murder for no apparent reason.

Great writing, but I struggled to make sense of the murder, and of Meursault's reaction to his discussion with a priest after his arrest, both of which seemed to step outside of his character. Certainly lots to think about.

I highly recommend reading The Meursault Investigaton by Kamel Daoud as a companion to this novel as it brings an enriching perspective to the story. ( )
  LynnB | Mar 24, 2016 |
I can't decide on a rating for this - I'm going to have to think about it some more. Definitely brilliant, I'm just not sure how I feel about it! ( )
  thebookmagpie | Mar 13, 2016 |
It is quite a trick to write of life & death, as Camus does, in terms of an almost total social and moral vacuum. He may get philosophical satisfaction from it. Most readers will call it philosophic doodling.
added by Shortride | editTime (May 20, 1946)

"The Stranger,” a novel of crime and punishment by Albert Camus, published today, should touch off in this country a renewed burst of discussion about the young French writers who are at the moment making more unusual literary news than the writers of any other country.

Camus, Albertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Urculo, EduardoIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valente, José ÁngelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, MatthewTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zevi, AlbertoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mother died today. (Stuart Gilbert translation)
Maman died today. (Matthew Ward translation)
Aujourd'hui, maman est morte. Ou peut-être hier, je ne sais pas.
And I, too, felt ready to start life all over again. It was if that great rush of anger had washed me clean, emptied me of hope, and, gazing up at the dark sky spangled with its signs and stars, for the first time, the first, I laid my heart open to the benign indifference of the universe. To feel it so like myself, indeed, so brotherly, made me realize that I'd been happy, and that I was happy still.
Since it was first published in English, in 1946, Albert Camus's first novel, THE STRANGER (l'étranger), has had a profound impact on millions of American readers. Through this story of an ordinary man who unwittingly gets drawn into a senseless murder on a sun-drenched Algerian beach, Camus explored what he termed "the nakedness of man faced with the absurd."

Now, in an illuminating new American translation, extraordinary for its exactitude and clarity, the original intent of THE STRANGER is made more immediate. This haunting novel has been given a new life for generations to come.
Je suis étranger.

Aujourd'hui, maman est morte.

Et je ne pleure pas.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679720200, Paperback)

The Stranger is not merely one of the most widely read novels of the 20th century, but one of the books likely to outlive it. Written in 1946, Camus's compelling and troubling tale of a disaffected, apparently amoral young man has earned a durable popularity (and remains a staple of U.S. high school literature courses) in part because it reveals so vividly the anxieties of its time. Alienation, the fear of anonymity, spiritual doubt--all could have been given a purely modern inflection in the hands of a lesser talent than Camus, who won the Nobel Prize in 1957 and was noted for his existentialist aesthetic. The remarkable trick of The Stranger, however, is that it's not mired in period philosophy.

The plot is simple. A young Algerian, Meursault, afflicted with a sort of aimless inertia, becomes embroiled in the petty intrigues of a local pimp and, somewhat inexplicably, ends up killing a man. Once he's imprisoned and eventually brought to trial, his crime, it becomes apparent, is not so much the arguably defensible murder he has committed as it is his deficient character. The trial's proceedings are absurd, a parsing of incidental trivialities--that Meursault, for instance, seemed unmoved by his own mother's death and then attended a comic movie the evening after her funeral are two ostensibly damning facts--so that the eventual sentence the jury issues is both ridiculous and inevitable.

Meursault remains a cipher nearly to the story's end--dispassionate, clinical, disengaged from his own emotions. "She wanted to know if I loved her," he says of his girlfriend. "I answered the same way I had the last time, that it didn't mean anything but that I probably didn't." There's a latent ominousness in such observations, a sense that devotion is nothing more than self-delusion. It's undoubtedly true that Meursault exhibits an extreme of resignation; however, his confrontation with "the gentle indifference of the world" remains as compelling as it was when Camus first recounted it. --Ben Guterson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:42 -0400)

A young Algerian, Meursault, afflicted with a sort of aimless inertia, becomes embroiled in the petty intrigues of a local pimp and, somewhat inexplicably, ends up killing a man. Once he's imprisoned and eventually brought to trial, his crime, it becomes apparent, is not so much the arguably defensible murder he has committed as it is his deficient character. In the story of an ordinary man who unwittingly gets drawn into a senseless murder on a sun-drenched Algerian beach, Camus was exploring what he termed "the nakedness of man faced with the absurd". Now in a new American translation, the classic has been given new life for generations to come.… (more)

5 1914

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182504, 0241950058, 0141389583

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,793,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible