The Trial by Franz Kafka

The Trial (original 1925; edition 1995)

by Franz Kafka

Member:HydrogenGuy
Title:The Trial
Authors:Franz Kafka
Info:Schocken (1995), Edition: Definitive, Paperback
Tags:fiction, post-modern, surrealism, you are number 6

The Trial by Franz Kafka (1925)

English (119)  Italian (5)  Dutch (5)  French (3)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Danish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (144)
This book was hard for me because I related so well with the character. It's a nightmarish story, really, of "Joseph K, a respectable functionary in a bank, who is suddenly arrested and must defend his innocence against a charge about which he can get no information". His confusion, frustration, and absolute helplessness were so tangible and too close to heart for me. So while this is on my "couldn't finish" shelf, it's not because it was boring or poorly written, but that the character drew me in perfectly. ( )
  MahanaU | Feb 26, 2016 |
While I can't say I enjoyed it, I certainly got more out of it this time than I did 30 years ago in high school. ( )
  Gingermama | Jan 24, 2016 |
I read it, but I wish I hadn't. Maybe the worst book I've ever read. ( )
  TerriS | Jan 17, 2016 |
This is my first Kafka - and I liked it. Its a book of pointlessness - when a man is accused of something, he goes around in circles trying to figure out how to exonerate himself. But - the more he goes around, the more pointless his actions become.

This book isn't right for everybody. The dark humor of the characters - the indifference of most of the characters, Even Joseph K, the protagonist is rather unlikable. But that's okay. This is a book about futility, and at times, it will make you bang your head on a wall. But - give it a shot if you are unsure. The book is short, but deep. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Dec 12, 2015 |
I couldn't understand Kafka 30 years ago & he makes no more sense now
Read in Samoa May 2003 ( )
  mbmackay | Nov 28, 2015 |
Una mañana cualquiera, Josef K., joven empleado de un banco, se despierta en la pensión donde reside con la extraña visita de unos hombres que le comunican que está detenido -aunque por el momento seguirá libre-. Le informan de que se ha iniciado un proceso contra él, y le aseguran que conocerá los cargos a su debido tiempo. Así comienza una de las más memorables y enigmáticas pesadillas jamás escritas. Para el protagonista, Josef K., el proceso laberíntico en el que inesperadamente se ve inmerso supone una toma de conciencia de sí mismo, un despertar que le obliga a reflexionar sobre su propia existencia, sobre la pérdida de la inocencia y la aparición de la muerte. La lectura de El proceso produce cierto «horror vacui» pues nos sumerge en una existencia absurda, en el filo de la navaja entre la vida y la nada.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Oldenburg, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salter, GeorgeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simojoki, AukustiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zampa, GiorgioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Someone must have been telling lies about Joseph K., for without having done anything wrong he was arrested one fine morning.
Jemand mußte Josef K. verleumdet haben, denn ohne daß er etwas Böses getan hätte, wurde er eines Morgens verhaftet.
Original German title: Der Prozess

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805209999, Paperback)

The story of The Trial's publication is almost as fascinating as the novel itself. Kafka intended his parable of alienation in a mysterious bureaucracy to be burned, along with the rest of his diaries and manuscripts, after his death in 1924. Yet his friend Max Brod pressed forward to prepare The Trial and the rest of his papers for publication. When the Nazis came to power, publication of Jewish writers such as Kafka was forbidden; Kafka's writings, many of which have distinctively Jewish themes, did not find a broad audience until after World War II. (Hannah Arendt once observed that although "during his lifetime he could not make a decent living, [Kafka] will now keep generations of intellectuals both gainfully employed and well-fed.") Among the current crop of Kafka heirs is Breon Mitchell, the translator of this edition of The Trial. Rather than tidying up Kafka's unconventional grammar and punctuation (as previous translators have done), Mitchell captures the loose, uneasy, even uncomfortable constructions of Kafka's original story. His translation technique is the only way to convey the comedy and confusion of this narrative, in which Josef K., "without having done anything truly wrong," is arrested, tried, convicted and executed--on a charge that is never disclosed to him. --Michael Joseph Gross

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:13 -0400)

A new edition of Kafka's classic work--certain to become the new standard.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182903, 0141194715

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,305 books! | Top bar: Always visible