Der Prozess by Franz Kafka

Der Prozess (original 1925; edition 1969)

by Franz Kafka

Member:raak
Title:Der Prozess
Authors:Franz Kafka
Info:Heinemann (Txt) (1969), Paperback

The Trial by Franz Kafka (Author) (1925)

1920s (8)
Read (23)
(1)

English (144)  Italian (5)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (5)  French (4)  German (3)  Swedish (2)  Danish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (174)
"The Trial" is a work of byzantine bureaucracy, contradictory and meaningless rules, and inescapable dilemmas. It is widely viewed as a powerful statement about judicial systems in autocratic societies, and Kafka is sometimes credited with prescience in having foreseen what was to come in the dictatorships of Germany and the Soviet Union. Innumerable works of literary analysis have analyzed the work's nature, organization, history, and diverse translations.

I experienced this work as an audiobook, translated by Breon Mitchell and narrated by George Guidall. I consider this audio version as a good way to experience Kafka's novel. That's not to say that is interesting or enjoyable (after all, Kafka's work is read more for its literary value than for the purposes of enjoyment). Frankly, I thought the work overly long, and repetitious in theme. One gets the entire idea of the plot (such as it is) from the first few chapters -- along with a full sense of the tragicomic nature of the predicament in which "K" finds himself. But despite a fine narrator, I found that the tale grew wearisome and am not sure I followed it all, until, that is, its shocking ending. ( )
1 vote danielx | May 15, 2019 |
My second Kafka, and I am now pretty sure he is indeed not my cup of tea. I think the ideas in his works are interesting, the surrealism/absurdity is something I enjoy at other times and it does work, but somehow I just find it quite tedious to read in Kafka. The story-lines intrigue me, but getting through them takes effort. I think he's worth reading, but at the same time I hesitate to recommend him. ( )
  .Monkey. | May 13, 2019 |
This was my third read of The Trial. It never works out and I'm always sad. But resigned. It's how things are meant to be. ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
I blundered. I suspect I wouldn't have been in love with this anyway, but I can't blame my feelings exclusively on 'The Trial'. I blame technology.

Instead of sticking with the physical copy I own - the 'definitive edition' translated by Willa and Edwin Muir that includes unfinished chapters and redacted sentences that may or may not have been meant to go back into the final draft. I opted instead to read most of this with the translation by David Wyllie available at Project Gutenberg because that was convenient.

I was more than halfway through before I realized my error and tried to go back. Differences were slight, but telling in most cases, but here and there were powerful differences. For example, here are the opening lines -

Wyllie:

"Someone must have been telling lies about Josef K., he knew he had done nothing wrong but, one morning, he was arrested."

Muir:

“Someone must have traduced Joseph K., for without having done anything wrong he was arrested one fine morning.”

In the translator's note the Muirs stated they did their utmost to preserve the flavor of German as spoken by Kafka himself, while Wyllie, though having no note, seems to have preferred a simple English translation. The simple text is bold but the style is superior in the the Muirs' translation. I'm grateful for the existance of 'Project Gutenberg', but from now on I'll keep away from translated works.

The book was a chore to get through in both versions, but I preferred the 'definitive' translation much more. I did not have the heart or stomach to start over. I'm left at a loss to cover the book. It was bleak and sluggish and interminable (until it wasn't). The printed version saved the book in many ways because of the additional (somewhat clarifying) content, but also because of the better tone of the book. It was more elegant about the stark meaninglessness of everything and the futility of doing. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
First thing.. this book was unfinished and published after his death, and it reads that way. I can't imagine this is what Kafka would have wanted the world to read. But here we are.

The only thing I would like to add to what has been written already is that our protagonist K's behavior is rarely mentioned. He's an idiot. The system he is in is oppressive and capricious but his own behavior is inexplicable and frustrating.

I can appreciate this book for its historical context in literature but it's not a "good read". ( )
  NateK | Jan 22, 2019 |
Una mañana cualquiera, Josef K., joven empleado de un banco, se despierta en la pensión donde reside con la extraña visita de unos hombres que le comunican que está detenido -aunque por el momento seguirá libre-. Le informan de que se ha iniciado un proceso contra él, y le aseguran que conocerá los cargos a su debido tiempo. Así comienza una de las más memorables y enigmáticas pesadillas jamás escritas. Para el protagonista, Josef K., el proceso laberíntico en el que inesperadamente se ve inmerso supone una toma de conciencia de sí mismo, un despertar que le obliga a reflexionar sobre su propia existencia, sobre la pérdida de la inocencia y la aparición de la muerte. La lectura de El proceso produce cierto «horror vacui» pues nos sumerge en una existencia absurda, en el filo de la navaja entre la vida y la nada.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Zampa, GiorgioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Someone must have been telling lies about Joseph K., for without having done anything wrong he was arrested one fine morning.
"The Court wants nothing from you. It receives you when you come and it dismisses you when you go."

A Josef K., un giovane impiegato di banca che conduce una tranquilla vita borghese, viene notificato di essere in arresto per una colpa misteriosa. Il giovane cerca di difendersi, ma non riesce neppure a sapere di che cosa precisamente venga accusato. Lenta ma inarrestabile, la macchina processuale invaderà a poco a poco tutta la sua esistenza finché, solo e abbandonato da tutti, Josef K. accetterà di soccombere. Scritto nel 1925, capolavoro della letteratura europea, Il processo è forse il romanzo di Kafka che meglio descrive l’angosciosa condizione dell’uomo in una società divenuta ormai troppo complessa, vissuta come un meccanismo implacabile e fine a se stesso, minacciosa e indifferente a qualsiasi autentico valore.
(piopas)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805209999, Paperback)

The story of The Trial's publication is almost as fascinating as the novel itself. Kafka intended his parable of alienation in a mysterious bureaucracy to be burned, along with the rest of his diaries and manuscripts, after his death in 1924. Yet his friend Max Brod pressed forward to prepare The Trial and the rest of his papers for publication. When the Nazis came to power, publication of Jewish writers such as Kafka was forbidden; Kafka's writings, many of which have distinctively Jewish themes, did not find a broad audience until after World War II. (Hannah Arendt once observed that although "during his lifetime he could not make a decent living, [Kafka] will now keep generations of intellectuals both gainfully employed and well-fed.") Among the current crop of Kafka heirs is Breon Mitchell, the translator of this edition of The Trial. Rather than tidying up Kafka's unconventional grammar and punctuation (as previous translators have done), Mitchell captures the loose, uneasy, even uncomfortable constructions of Kafka's original story. His translation technique is the only way to convey the comedy and confusion of this narrative, in which Josef K., "without having done anything truly wrong," is arrested, tried, convicted and executed--on a charge that is never disclosed to him. --Michael Joseph Gross

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:13 -0400)

A new edition of Kafka's classic work--certain to become the new standard.

Legacy Library: Franz Kafka

Franz Kafka has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Franz Kafka's legacy profile.

See Franz Kafka's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182903, 0141194715

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,914,068 books! | Top bar: Always visible