A Murder of Quality by John le Carre

A Murder of Quality (original 1962; edition 2002)

by John le Carre

Member:wdwilson3
Title:A Murder of Quality
Authors:John le Carre
Info:Scribner (2002), Paperback, 160 pages
Collections:Traded
Tags:mystery, 2013 read

A Murder of Quality by John le Carré (1962)

English (29)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (32)
I enjoy le Carré's spy novels but this is a good old-fashioned whodunnit. To my knowledge, this is the only mystery he wrote. The setting is a distinguished school where traditions, manners and class matter. George Smiley investigates on behalf of an old friend who received a letter from the wife of a teacher at the school claiming that her husband was trying to kill her. I wish le Carré had written more like this one. ( )
  VivienneR | May 25, 2016 |
This le Carré is what I imagine [The Remains of the Day] would be like as a murder mystery. For me this means it was very enjoyable but I would recommend that people keep in mind the language and pacing. ( )
  kale.dyer | Mar 22, 2016 |
A short second novel. I believe this is the only 'mystery' that Le Carre has written. Solid cozy.

The thing I enjoyed about this novel the most is the true beating Le Carre give class: he just destroys the upper class/university crowd. Brutal. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jan 27, 2016 |
I think Call for The Dead is a more exciting read than this. Particularly because le Carre explored more with the story scenes in the first book. In this one, the story really just centralizes on Carne. Those who mind it might find it dreary. (just a little precaution)

Le Carre's writing is still wonderful though! ( )
  novewong | Jul 8, 2015 |
In this very skilfully read audiobook, Smiley takes on a murder set in a British prep school where snobbery runs rampant. In Agatha Christie fashion, there are lots of red herrings in a somewhat closed setting, but of course George Smiley is up to the task. Mush less dense and convoluted that LeCarre's espionage, this is still an anjoyable read. ( )
  sleahey | Jan 29, 2015 |
To Ann
The greatness of Carne School has been ascribed by common consent to Edward VI, whose educational zeal is ascribed by history to the Duke of Somerset.

John le Carré's classic novels deftly navigate readers through the intricate shadow worlds of international esionage with unsurpassed skill and knowledge, and have earned him -- and his hero, British secret Service Agent George Smiley -- unprecedented worldwide acclaim.

George Smiley was simply doing a favor for Miss Ailsa Brimley, and old friend and editor of a small newspaper. Miss Brimley had received a letter from a worried reader: "I'm not mad. And I know my husbad is trying to kill me." But the letter had arrived too late: it's scribe, the wife of an assistant master at the distinguished Carne School, was already dead.

So George Smiley went to Carne to listen, ask questions, and think. And to uncover, layer by layer, the complex network of skeletons and hatreds that comprised that little English institution.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:07 -0400)

A retired undercover agent, a charming but dangerous woman, and an aging intellectual are drawn together by murder among England's upper crust.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141196378, 0241962188

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,843,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible