A Murder of Quality by John le Carré

A Murder of Quality (original 1962; edition 2004)

by John le Carré, Otto Penzler (Foreword)

Member:ecureuil
Title:A Murder of Quality
Authors:John le Carré
Other authors:Otto Penzler (Foreword)
Info:Walker & Company (2004), Edition: Reissue, Hardcover, 152 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Novel, Thriller

A Murder of Quality by John le Carré (1962)

English (36)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (39)
The second novel of Mr.LeCarré, though it doesn´t deal with spies, it helps us undestand better George Smiley and his past.
Wonderful the way the mistery murder is solved, and beautifully written ( )
  elicarra | Feb 10, 2019 |
George Smiley's disappointing second outing is closer to Agatha Christie than vintage Le Carré. Smiley leaves his discomfort zone of bleak, grey London to solve a murder in a small Dorset town, but Le Carré's writing is at its best during the few scenes set in the capital. The plot feels pushed into the background by the story's social dramas – town vs gown, Chapel vs Church, and a rather ham-fisted attack on England's educational system. ( )
  Lirmac | Dec 10, 2018 |
2018 ( )
  NeilDalley | Oct 27, 2018 |
My second George Smiley novel in as many days. This books was not a spy-thriller, but was more of a simple murder mystery. It was a quick story, and while I enjoyed the read, it certainly is not a classic and was not one that I imagine will be memorable. I look forward to the more famous of Le Carre's spy novels that are coming up in this series. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
Another well read audio book from Michael Jayston. A more 'pure' murder mystery than its predecessor, A Murder of Quality is a simple, sometimes plodding story that reveals little about Smiley. After the backstory in the first book, this novel feels a bit like business as usual. Not a bad tale but better things are to come in the series. I enjoyed A Call For the Dead (the predecessor to this book and the first Smiley novel) more. ( )
  bevok | Jul 31, 2017 |
To Ann
The greatness of Carne School has been ascribed by common consent to Edward VI, whose educational zeal is ascribed by history to the Duke of Somerset.

John le Carré's classic novels deftly navigate readers through the intricate shadow worlds of international esionage with unsurpassed skill and knowledge, and have earned him -- and his hero, British secret Service Agent George Smiley -- unprecedented worldwide acclaim.

George Smiley was simply doing a favor for Miss Ailsa Brimley, and old friend and editor of a small newspaper. Miss Brimley had received a letter from a worried reader: "I'm not mad. And I know my husbad is trying to kill me." But the letter had arrived too late: it's scribe, the wife of an assistant master at the distinguished Carne School, was already dead.

So George Smiley went to Carne to listen, ask questions, and think. And to uncover, layer by layer, the complex network of skeletons and hatreds that comprised that little English institution.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:07 -0400)

A Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus mystery.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141196378, 0241962188

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,460,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible