Akira, Volume 2 by Katsuhiro Ōtomo

Akira, Volume 2

by Katsuhiro Ōtomo

Series: Akira (2)

English (10)  Danish (1)  All (11)
Reread.

What I want to know is, how did Tetsuo turn into a mega douche so quickly?! One minute he was besties with Kaneda and the gang and the next he was heading up a rival gang and trying to kill his friends.

Of course it's the age old story of letting the power go to his head. And now this knuckle head has woken Akira. Shit's about to get surius now!!!

Like with Volume 1, I enjoyed this much more the second time around. ( )
  Virago77 | Aug 2, 2017 |
  This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.tumblr.com by express permission of this reviewer  Title: Akira #2  Series: Akira  Author & Artist: Katsuhiro Otomo  Rating: 4 of 5 Stars  Genre: Manga  Pages: 304   Synopsis: Kaneda and Kei escape from their holding cells and the top secret base with help from some of the special children. Only to come right back to try to kill Tetsuo and prevent him from releasing Akira. Tetsuo does his bully thing, hurts the special kids, finds the holding place for Akira and heads over there. Only to find Akira has removed himself from his cryogenic prison and is now free. A free 10 year old boy. The Colonel orders a Level 7 Alert [higher alert than a nuclear threat] and has a Space Satellite try to fry Tetsuo and Akira. Of course, they freaking miss and all they do is burn off Tetsuo's arm, at which point the volume ends.   My Thoughts: This volume was much less graphically violent than Volume 1. Kids weren't decapitating each other with pipes, etc, etc. But Tetsuo powers up with a new teleport ability and insta-healing and is just as psychotic and douche-baggy as ever. I really want to see him hurt and die; his attitude makes me sick.   Kaneda and Kei are much more of a team now. While Kaneda is still a hormone filled teen, he is getting to the point where he can now kill Tetsuo instead of hesitating. Kei is still the mature young woman just like from the beginning. Their back and forths are amusing.   I am VERY glad that I own all 6 volumes already, because if I had to wait between volumes, it would kill me. The tension of just what is going to happen is dramatically ratcheting upwards and the mystery surrounding Akira, who we find out is just a young boy, deepens. And will Akira help, fight or surrender to Tetsuo is just eating at me.   If I weren't doing a weekly manga review, I suspect I'd be reading these volumes one a day and just gorging on them. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Tetsuo's powers are growing, as are his desires for revenge and recognition. The military and Kaneda seem unable to contain him. As the death toll rises, Tetsuo makes his way towards finding out what or who Akira is. Hella violent, groundbreaking page layouts, interesting supporting characters, and at least 4 factions involved with unknown final motivations. Only the military knows all the secrets, but can they be trusted? and so on
4 stars oc, as part of the continuation of the series. ( )
  starcat | Aug 11, 2014 |
I could sum up this entire review in a single paragraph: if you enjoyed the first volume of Akira, you won’t be disappointed with the second volume. Enjoy.

However, I don't do one-sentence reviews, so here is the rest.

I’m not really sure what I can say about this book, the second of the six-volume manga “Akira”. You really need to read the first volume of Akira to appreciate what is going on in this book. Certainly, there is a synopsis of the previous events at the start of the book, and it does manage to summarise the last volume quite succinctly, but I think that the series is best appreciated when read complete and in sequence. A simple textual summary of the previous novel doesn’t quite convey Katsuhiro’s abilities as a graphic novelist or manga writer and artist, nor does it convey the themes that lay beneath the narrative of the novel. If you haven’t looked at the first volume of Akira yet, go and do so. It’s not a long read, but there is a lot going on there, both in terms of ideas and action. And the artwork is excellent. On the other hand, if you have looked at the first volume, you have no doubt already decided if you are going to read the second volume, and I won’t be able to convince you otherwise.

In volume two of "Akira", Tetsuo, a teenager who is starting to demonstrate a variety of psychic abilities, has agreed to join a Japanese military program, that trains and develops psychics. While under their care, he learns of the existence of the mysterious Akira, an entity that is apparently more powerful even than Tetsuo. Interest aroused, Tetsuo wishes to meet the power that is Akira. The military, led by the Colonel, is out to stop Akira from arising at any cost. Kaneda, a former friend of Tetsuo, is still out to kill Tetsuo, with the help of several friends. Oh, and Kaneda and friends want to get a hold of Akira, too.

The entire volume is an extended sequence of fight scenes, or transitions between one fight scene and the next. If that sounds like I am being dismissive of the book, I am not at all – the fight scenes are all done quite well, the fights make sense in terms of the larger story being told. Oh, and it is all quite exciting. And there is also the same undercurrent of intellect running through this book as the first novel – that of the use and abuse of power, and how power influences people.

As the first novel, the artwork is excellent. Katsuhiro has done a commendable job here.

If you enjoyed the first volume of Akira (and I don't see why a person who had not would be reading this), you'll want to read this. But I won't have to tell you that at all. ( )
  rojse | Sep 18, 2009 |
Phenomenal work. Otomo's draftsmanship in unparalleled, and his writing skills are attested to by the engrossing and quick paced story. ( )
  mohi | Jul 5, 2009 |
-¿Te...tsu...o?
-Sí, Tetsuo. Se está conviritiendo en uno de nosotros. Le llaman número 41.

Despite being stuck in a frozen status, Akira still poses a threat to Neo-Tokyo and Tetsuo might be the city's only hope if it is ever released, but Tetsuo and his powers have become unstable and a group gathers to stop him from doing the unthinkable.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,248,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible