Saga Volume 9 by Brian K Vaughan

Saga Volume 9 (edition 2018)

by Brian K Vaughan (Author), Fiona Staples (Artist)

Member:pva
Title:Saga Volume 9
Authors:Brian K Vaughan (Author)
Other authors:Fiona Staples (Artist)
Info:Image Comics (2018), 152 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

Saga, Vol. 9 by Brian K. Vaughan (Author)

WHAT? IS THAT REALLY WHERE SAGA IS BEING LEFT OFF DURING ITS HIATUS?!?!?!?!?

rkcraig88 | Jul 15, 2019 |
Background:

Saga tells the continuing story of the little family of Marko and Alana - a mixed-race couple - and their daughter Hazel. The family is struggling to stay together in spite of a war between their two races.

Alana is from the planet Landfall, where inhabitants have wings on their backs, and Marko is from its moon, Wreath, where all people have horns on their heads. The two defied all convention (and propaganda, viz: those people have horns on their heads!) and fell in love. Hazel was born with both horns and wings, and it is Hazel who narrates the story.

Marko and Alana just want to find a way to be safe and happy and live in peace, but it doesn’t seem possible. The three of them are being pursued throughout the galaxy by a number of beings trying to exploit them or kill them (or first one, then the other).

Review, Volume 9:

Volume 9 picks up with the members of Marko’s family group considering getting new identities as amphibians in exchange for a news exclusive about their stories. (This would be analogous to a witness protection program.) The reporters Doff and Upsher make the offer not only to Marko’s immediate family, but also to those traveling with them: Sir Robert, his girlfriend Petrichor, and his son Squire.

What happens in Volume 9 is nothing short of astonishing, in two senses. One is the story line itself, which is as emotional, nuanced, and as stunning on several levels as one could imagine. And the second is in the "meta" sense of authorial discretion, because in this volume the authors make some pretty shocking decisions for the trajectory of the series. Sorry I can't reveal more, but you won't want to miss this installment of the saga.

Illustrator Fiona Staples is again listed as first author, which seems appropriate. Her art work contributes to the meaning of the story in ways it would be hard for words to do alone. She not only imbues the vivid panels with dynamism and astounding creativity, but the way she captures emotions of all sorts of creatures is incredibly impressive.

Evaluation: This is an outstanding “saga” whether you like graphic novels or not. This is not by any means a series for kids but it is nevertheless a story strongly supportive of families - both the kind you are born with, and the kind you make as you go through life. This volume is a must-read, but is not a standalone.

Note: If you are new to the series, be sure to read the books in order!

Note 2: According to Newsarama, where “comic book fans and sci-fi enthusiasts can find the latest news, theories and speculation about their favorite characters, movies, books, games and shows”:

"Image Comics' long-running Saga will be having a year-long 'intermission' following this week's #54. [#54 is the last issue of the series included in Volume 9.] In a letter published in the backmatter of this week's issue, series writer/co-creator Brian K. Vaughan explains the reason behind his and Fiona Staples' decision.

‘After fifty-four issues and over 1,200 consecutive pages of sequential storytelling together, Fiona and I have decided to take an extended break before we eventually reunite with Saga #55. And unlike our usual three months of 'Vacationanza' between arcs, we plan to pause publication of this series for at least the next year.’" ( )
  nbmars | May 1, 2019 |
I still love the Robots and the unlikely pairings. I love how Squire’s images show up in crayon... I never liked The Will storyline.... Brian K. Vaughn and George R.R. Martin are having a toast somewhere laughing at the readers. But I am kidding, I loved it, even though this one is the toughest yet. ( )
  Gezemice | Mar 8, 2019 |
HOLY SHI— ( )
1 vote saltmanz | Feb 14, 2019 |
Saga continues to be one of the stronger graphic novels that I've been reading, and the ending to this volume... And a year hiatus to the series... ugh

I knew the hiatus was coming after this volume, but I wasn't expecting this ending. Needless to say, there are several THINGS in this volume, especially ONE THING that happens at the end and if you're a fan of this series, you're in for a shock. That's all I can say, because SPOILERS. ( )
1 vote tapestry100 | Jan 30, 2019 |

Vaughan, Brian K.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Staples, FionaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hurry up, Slave Boy.

"After the traumatic events of the War for Phang, Hazel, her parents, and their surviving companions embark on a life-changing adventure at the westernmost edge of the universe."--Provided by publisher.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,314,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible