Lair of the White Worm by Bram Stoker

Lair of the White Worm (original 1911; edition 2011)

by Bram Stoker

Member:muddyboy
Title:Lair of the White Worm
Authors:Bram Stoker
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Edition: 1, Paperback, 130 pages
Rating:***

The Lair of the White Worm by Bram Stoker (1911)

Recently added byEverettPantaloons, m.scroggins, private library, nwdavies, porkwind, Maddz, onesmallhole, renbedell
Legacy LibrariesAbraham Stoker

As it turns out this verson was abridged by the original publisher. The Garden of Evil, the American edition from 1966 and its reprintings, appears to be unabridged, so I might look into acquiring that to see if it fulfills the promising story better.
  Frenzie | Feb 19, 2014 |
This was Stoker's final novel, but it isn't a patch on Dracula. While it does contain a few vivid and quite graphically horrific scenes, much of it is bland and reads woodenly. A disappointment. 3/5 ( )
  john257hopper | Jun 9, 2013 |
Effective horror story that is simply too talkative. Creepy and Atmospheric. ( )
  srboone | Apr 15, 2013 |
I was listening to this on audio, and it literally put me to sleep. It's nowhere near as good as Dracula.

There were some scenes that I thought had giant holes in logic or gaps between scenes - and I'd assumed that it was because because I was in the process of falling asleep and probably missed something - except I'm seeing other reviewers feel the same way, so I doubt it's entirely my fault.

I have no desire to find out how it ends, so this is going into my "won't read" pile. ( )
  Melanti | Mar 29, 2013 |
This book is written in the style of many early horror writers. The plot is developed very slowly and even when you reach the end you are not so sure that the "white worm" was really worth a this fuss. The main characters could have simply moved out of town but are somehow driven to confront this evil woman/worm. There is also a very racist portrayal of a black character which was also typical of many authors in the late 18 and early 1900's. The book is what it is a generally entertaining but flawed book by the author of Dracula. ( )
  muddyboy | Nov 15, 2012 |
To my friend BERTHA NICOLL with affectionate esteem
Adam Salton sauntered into the Empire Club, Sydney, and found awaiting him a letter from his grand-uncle. (Abridged)
When Adam Salton arrived at the Great Eastern Hotel, he found awaiting him a letter in the handwriting of his grand-uncle, Richard Salton, which he knew so well from the many kind letters which he had received from him in Western Australia. (Unabridged)
There are two versions of The Lair of the White Worm. Most editions published after 1925 are heavily abridged and partially rewritten, with only 28 chapters instead of the original 40, and over 100 pages deleted.

In a tale of ancient evil, Bram Stoker creates a world of lurking horrors and bizarre denizens: a demented mesmerist, hellbent on mentally crushing the girl he loves; a gigantic kite raised to rid the land of an unnatural infestation of birds, and which receives strange commands along its string; and all the while, the great white worm slithers below, seeking its next victim...

Bram Stoker, creator of Dracula, is one of the most enduring and masterful influences on the literature of terror.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:33 -0400)

'Lair of the White Worm' is a camp horror tale from an acknowledged master of the genre. Originally published in 1911, and out-of-print for many years, this enticing tale comes to you from the pen of the man who brought Dracula to life.

Legacy Library: Bram Stoker

Bram Stoker has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Bram Stoker's legacy profile.

See Bram Stoker's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,307,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible