Glass and Gardens: Solarpunk Summers by…

Glass and Gardens: Solarpunk Summers (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Sarena Ulibarri (Author)

Solarpunk is a type of optimistic science fiction that imagines a future founded on renewable energies. The seventeen stories in this volume are not boring utopias¿they grapple with real issues such as the future and ethics of our food sources, the connection or disconnection between technology and nature, and the interpersonal conflicts that arise no matter how peaceful the world is. In these pages you¿ll find a guerilla art installation in Milan, a murder mystery set in a weather manipulation facility, and a world where you are judged by the glow of your solar nanite implants. From an opal mine in Australia to the seed vault at Svalbard, from a wheat farm in Kansas to a crocodile ranch in Malaysia, these are stories of adaptation, ingenuity, and optimism for the future of our world and others. For readers who are tired of dystopias and apocalypses, these visions of a brighter future will be a breath of fresh air.… (more)
Member:sereq_ieh_dashret
Title:Glass and Gardens: Solarpunk Summers
Authors:Sarena Ulibarri (Author)
Info:World Weaver Press (2018), 378 pages
Tags:solarpunk

Glass and Gardens: Solarpunk Summers by Sarena Ulibarri (2018)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was an early reviewer copy. I enjoyed the variety of stories representing positive ways of dealing climate change and its effects on society. Yes they are about the "hotly" contested subject of global warming but the stories are good and include the changes technology is having on civilization. Recommended reading. ( )
  Gkarlives | Aug 29, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In contrast to the too many dystopias that are being created in response to contemporary issues, this book instead present utopias based on more optimistic discoveries such as renewable energy sources. For those of you who, like me, are getting tired of reading dismal futures this is a book to read.
  darylritchot | Jul 29, 2019 |
Science fiction often predicts human folly with regards to technology. Solarpunk is different. In this collection of short stories the climactic apocalypse has arrived, the world has changed and today's current hegemonies have dissolved along with the ice caps. This anthology does not harp on how humanity has failed, rather it explores possible solutions despite our current lack of vision. The egalitarian use of technology reimagined social structures, and the new relationships between humans and nature are commonly explored themes. The strength of storytelling varies from author to author. However, as a collective work, this anthology will provide the reader with much to consider. ( )
  dwhatson | Nov 24, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Received ebook edition from LibraryThing Early Reviewer program.

One of the best anthologies I've read in a long time, possibly ever. This genre is new to me (and apparently quite new period, having been coined around 10 years ago), and it was refreshing to read something more positive and optimistic about the future. That is not to say it's all happy-go-lucky utopian; there's hints of bleaker histories or struggles in the present, but it's not consumed by the grimdarkness so popular these days. We can't have a brighter future if we can't imagine a brighter future, and this strikes me as a good step that direction.

The stories were a bit weighted towards the front, to me. The last few trickled off in quality, but this could be a matter of taste as well. "The Spider and the Stars," "New Siberia," and "Heavenly Dreams of Mechanical Trees" were my favorites. The writing and ideas were both enjoyable and left me wanting more, but without leaving the stories feeling incomplete.

Highly recommended, and I'll keep the eye out for more of the same! ( )
  joshua.moore | Aug 19, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received an early copy of this book from the publisher via Library Thing in exchange for an honest review.

Glass and Gardens is an anthology of short stories all about futures with worlds that are essentially utopian, or in short an optimistic version of steampunk. Overall I gave the book 3/5 stars because it wasn't my cup of tea in the end. Take a look down below for what I have to say about each story, going from highest rating to lowest.

The Spider and the Stars: 4/5 ⭐️
The Heavenly Dreams of Mechanical Trees: 4/5 ⭐️
These two stories were my favorites out of the anthology. I found The Spider and the Stars to be such a cute and interesting story to read about a future where humans learn to love bugs, and The Heavenly Dreams of Mechanical Trees was a hopeful story about a sentient mechanical tree who was soon going to stop functioning.

Caught Root: 3/5 ⭐️
Fyrewall: 3/5 ⭐️
New Siberia: 3/5 ⭐️
These three stories were also enjoyable to me, but in the end, didn't capture my attention like the others had. They were nice stories but I felt like they could have gone a little further and been made better overall. I liked the characters and story but they just fell a bit short for me.

Riot of the Wind and Sun: 2/5 ⭐️
Grow, Give, Repeat: 2/5 ⭐️
Cable Town Delivery: 2/5 ⭐️
Women of White Water: 2/5 ⭐️
Under the Northen Lights: 2/5 ⭐️
The remaining twelve stories were all kind of the same to me. I read them all but they were just very lacking for me. I found that I didn't care much about the characters or the story of them altogether and I wasn't interested in what was going to happen. While they were good in theory, they weren't my kind of thing to read. ( )
  Dan_Avi | Jul 31, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sarena Ulibarri's book Glass and Gardens: Solarpunk Summers was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,913,829 books! | Top bar: Always visible