Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan le Fanu

Carmilla (original 1872; edition 2011)

by Joseph Sheridan le Fanu

976488,821 (3.72)1 / 177
Member:ChristinaDye
Title:Carmilla
Authors:Joseph Sheridan le Fanu
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Paperback, 72 pages
Collections:E-books, Favorites
Rating:*****

Carmilla: a Vampyre Tale by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (1872)

English (47)  Swedish (1)  All (48)
really interesting take on the vampire legend. did not expect it to end the way that it did. I expected Carmilla to die in a fight against her pursuers. though there are still some questions that were unanswered. Who was her "mother"? The woman who was pretending to be her mother that is? her role was never fully explained. Was she intended to be her sire or not? ( )
  almoskwa92 | Nov 3, 2016 |

One of the reasons why I liked Carmilla so much is it's a very good vampire story. It would be even better if I didn't know that from the beginning. Nobody's fault. Everyone knows Carmilla is a vampire story.

It was first published 1872 and people usually expect those to be a bit harder to get through. Carmilla is definitely not like that. It almost reads like a contemporary story.

There are sixteen chapters but the story itself was sort of divided in two parts. One is told to us by Laura, our young narrator, years later. The other is almost the same story which happened to another girl. This one is told to Laura and her father by the father's friend. It doesn't end well.
I won't retell the story itself.

Carmilla the character drove me crazy. I'll give you just one example what annoyed me about her. At one point of the story a funeral procession is passing by. People are singing a hymn. Laura, being a decent person, stands up and joins in the singing. Carmilla starts with you offend me with this and 'how can you tell that your religion and mine are the same'. She is a freaking guest there and neither Laura nor those people did anything offensive. ( )
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |

I won't retell the story itself.

Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
Carmilla: a Vampyre Tale by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu; (4*)

This was a wonderful but sorrowful novella. The classic approach to vampires is one that never grows old though the center focus on two women is something the reader almost never finds in old literature. This gives it a nice change up from other vampire tales.
I found that I quite liked the character of the first person, the victim, who is telling the tale. I also found the villainess to be a well rounded & thoroughly readable character.
Sheridan Le Fanu pays much attention to detail and imagery. I could envision events unfolding in my mind with no effort. I love when that happens as I read.
I enjoyed this book very much and think it would come highly recommended to those who enjoy a bit of a creepy tale. ( )
2 vote rainpebble | Oct 27, 2016 |
I love this book!

It's a beautiful, 17th century tale about a lesbian vampire.

WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?

No, but seriously, I really enjoyed this book. It's creepy, it's thrilling, it's dark, it's well-written. It's sort of like what would happen if Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (sans the ultimate entitled prick of scientist, Victor Frankenstein) and Daphne du Maurier got together and made a gay horror baby.

I love seeing LGTIQA representation in this book. And it's really there, believe me, it's not just implied. I like that the whole environment is a character and it's quite a romantic, short little novella. The character of Carmilla is an incredible one, and this will be a firm favourite for a while to come.

Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu, I take my hat off to you. Thank you, sir. ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |

Joseph Sheridan Le Fanuprimary authorall editionscalculated
Codd, RolandCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Follows, MeganNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hännikäinen, TimoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Juan, AnaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prologue:
Upon a paper attached to the Narrative which follows, Doctor Hesselius has written a rather elaborate note, which he accompanies with a reference to his Essay on the strange subject which the MS. illuminates.
In Styria, we, though by no means magnificent people, inhabit a castle, or schloss.

Carmilla is the book that set the text for Dracula, that threw the light on our morbid fascination with the vampire legend. This is Carmilla, J. Sheridan LeFanu's classic novel of blood, terror -- and a love that dare not speak its name.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 856202225X, Paperback)

The vampire novella "Carmilla" set in Austria is one of Le Fanu's best tales and greatly influenced Bram Stocker, who published Dracula 25 years later. This is definitively a great book and a must for the lovers of horror tales.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:45 -0400)

Got a hankering for top-notch Gothic horror? Lose yourself in J. Sheridan Le Fanus Carmilla, a titillating tale that centers on a lady-loving vampire who terrorizes an unsuspecting family in nineteenth-century Austria. Experts of the genre say that this novel exerted a significant influence on Bram Stoker when he was preparing to write Dracula.… (more)

Current discussions

Sheridan Le Fanu's Carmilla in Gothic Literature

Valancourt Books

An edition of this book was published by Valancourt Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,764,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible