Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan le Fanu

Carmilla (original 1872; edition 2011)

by Joseph Sheridan le Fanu

Member:ChristinaDye
Title:Carmilla
Authors:Joseph Sheridan le Fanu
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Paperback, 72 pages
Collections:E-books, Favorites
Rating:*****

Carmilla: a Vampyre Tale by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (1872)

Recently added byMutantAtoms, private library, Lunae, rdelanty, Urthwild

English (37)  Swedish (1)  All languages (38)
This book has its pros and cons. The first being that it truly was revolutionary for its time, with the undertones of the lesbian vampires. Even though Le Fanu does not spell it out, you if you pick up on the clues you can see it. One of the cons is that the book was written in very simple language. But it does not draw away from the plot. I have always been interested with Vampires I always thought that Dracula was the trend setter, but really it was Carmilla. I look forward to seeing how closely they compare. Overall it was a fast and easy read with an enjoyable plot. ( )
  Hpfan28 | Sep 27, 2014 |
Carmilla is a pre-Dracula vampire tale first published in 1872 of a 19th century woman living in Austria who unwittingly encounters the female vampire named Carmilla. There are some lesbian vibes coming from Carmilla which 19 year old Laura is very uncomfortable with but she can't seem to resist her. They have a mutual fascination with each other.

Carmilla is a story of coincidence, mystery and I would say trust and deception. I really liked that this story was fairly short and quite concise. I've been trying to read the vampire stories written before Dracula (1897), the only other I've read so far is [b:The Vampyre|472966|The Vampyre; a Tale|John William Polidori|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1175045689s/472966.jpg|461235] by [a:John William Polidori|26932|John William Polidori|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1206804357p2/26932.jpg] (1819).

If you find it difficult to read classics like me then listen to the audio, the narrator Tracey Childes did a good job of holding my interest. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Love it!! ( )
  Gaby81 | Aug 28, 2014 |
For those unfamiliar with it, Carmilla is a short vampire story published in 1871 which influenced the writing of Dracula and the vampire sub-genera as a whole. It is also notable for its significant lesbian undertones.

I really liked Carmilla and found it easily accessible for the modern reader. The only issue I had with the writing was the over usage of certain words, “languid” in particular.

At the time it was written, Carmilla’s eventual unveiling as a vampire was supposed to be a surprise. There wasn’t the breadth of vampire material that there is today, and it hadn’t yet become known as a classic vampire story. I was worried about this coming in – how much of the story depends on the slow build up of Carmilla as a vampire? While it was obvious to the modern reader, I didn’t think that it took away from the story.

Carmilla isn’t exactly the type of vampire everyone’s familiar with – she can go out in the sun, usually only the late afternoon however. She’s beguiling and attractive and all who meet her tend to fall under her spell. She feeds upon young woman, killing most almost immediately, but with a few, she develops a relationship and drains slowly.

Carmilla is a must read for anyone interested in vampire literature or depictions of lesbian themes in classic literature, and I’d highly recommend it to everyone else too. It’s short, but there’s a real haunting depth to it.

This is a shortened version of my full review. To read it in it's entirety, visit my book review blog. ( )
  pwaites | Aug 1, 2014 |
A rare Victorian read that is short, crisp, and genuinely creepy. ( )
  Birdo82 | Jul 26, 2014 |

Joseph Sheridan Le Fanuprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hännikäinen, TimoTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Codd, RolandCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Follows, MeganNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prologue:
Upon a paper attached to the Narrative which follows, Doctor Hesselius has written a rather elaborate note, which he accompanies with a reference to his Essay on the strange subject which the MS. illuminates.
In Styria, we, though by no means magnificent people, inhabit a castle, or schloss.

Carmilla is the book that set the text for Dracula, that threw the light on our morbid fascination with the vampire legend. This is Carmilla, J. Sheridan LeFanu's classic novel of blood, terror -- and a love that dare not speak its name.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 856202225X, Paperback)

The vampire novella "Carmilla" set in Austria is one of Le Fanu's best tales and greatly influenced Bram Stocker, who published Dracula 25 years later. This is definitively a great book and a must for the lovers of horror tales.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:40 -0400)

La historia de esta novela gtica transcurre en un castillo de Austria; all vive una solitaria chica con su padre. Un da, mientras pasean por los bellos alrededores del aislado lugar, asisten a un accidente: un carruaje pierde el control en el camino y vuelca. En su interior viajan una mujer y su joven hija. La dama est obligada a continuar su recorrido a pesar del incidente, pero le pide al dueo del castillo un favor: que cuide de su hija, convaleciente de una rara y nunca bien explicada enfermedad, hasta su vuelta. La joven se llama Carmilla y pronto se hace amiga ntima de Laura, la solcita anfitriona. De inmediato comienzan a pasar cosas extraas: en los no tan cercanos pueblos mueren muchachas en aparentes ataques de vampiros.Following a near fatal carriage collision, the beautiful young Carmilla is taken in by the narrator Laura and her father who live near-by in a lonely castle. The two young women become close friends. Soon, however, strange things begin to happen; and, in villages in the surrounding area local girls die if apparent vampire attacks. Even Laura falls ill.… (more)

Valancourt Books

An edition of this book was published by Valancourt Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,381,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible