Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan le Fanu

Carmilla (original 1872; edition 2011)

by Joseph Sheridan le Fanu

1,019518,334 (3.74)2 / 183
Member:ChristinaDye
Title:Carmilla
Authors:Joseph Sheridan le Fanu
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Paperback, 72 pages
Collections:E-books, Favorites
Rating:*****

Carmilla: a Vampyre Tale by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (1872)

English (50)  Swedish (1)  All (51)

One of the reasons why I liked Carmilla so much is it's a very good vampire story. It would be even better if I didn't know that from the beginning. Nobody's fault. Everyone knows Carmilla is a vampire story.

It was first published 1872 and people usually expect those to be a bit harder to get through. Carmilla is definitely not like that. It almost reads like a contemporary story.

There are sixteen chapters but the story itself was sort of divided in two parts. One is told to us by Laura, our young narrator, years later. The other is almost the same story which happened to another girl. This one is told to Laura and her father by the father's friend. It doesn't end well.
I won't retell the story itself.

Carmilla the character drove me crazy. I'll give you just one example what annoyed me about her. At one point of the story a funeral procession is passing by. People are singing a hymn. Laura, being a decent person, stands up and joins in the singing. Carmilla starts with you offend me with this and 'how can you tell that your religion and mine are the same'. She is a freaking guest there and neither Laura nor those people did anything offensive. ( )
  Aneris | Apr 22, 2017 |
The author of this story is an unnamed woman, a young lady at the time she writes the narrative who lives a relatively isolated life with her father. This father and daughter receive a charming pair of visitors, a mother and daughter. The mother must leave on urgent business but her daughter has been quite ill and the mother fears for her daughter's life so she makes an unusual request to the father who is a stranger to her - she asks if he will take her daughter and she will return in about a month's time. Surprisingly the father says yes mostly because his daughter is so taken with the girl. This book is considered a gothic novel and was ahead if it's time for talking about female vampires.

Considering how old this story is the language flowed smoothly and making it easy to get into the story. It's hard to believe in these modern times that this gothic story was considered scary or scandalous. Enjoyable, quick read. ( )
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
I very much enjoyed this book. I read it in eBook form, but I think I might buy a print version just to have on my shelf. The book was first published in the 1800's and it shows in the writing style, but not so much as to be difficult to read or understand. I found it an easy, fast, entertaining and enthralling read from start to finish and I would definitely recommend it. I also absolutely loved the ending, which reminded me of the first few pages and had me really thinking even after I finished it. Definitely glad that my friend recommended me this book and I would absolutely recommend it to others. ( )
1 vote madam_razz | Jan 19, 2017 |
A rare Victorian read that is short, crisp, and genuinely creepy. ( )
1 vote Birdo82 | Jan 15, 2017 |
Predating Dracula by 26 years, Le Fanu's novella is a classic vampire tale that gets a lot less attention than it should. It is loaded with Gothic atmosphere and also introduces a lesbian vampire theme that, while appropriately circumspect, is unmistakable and something that I never would have expected in a novella written in the 1870s. ( )
1 vote Unkletom | Dec 29, 2016 |

Joseph Sheridan Le Fanuprimary authorall editionscalculated
Codd, RolandCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Follows, MeganNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hännikäinen, TimoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Juan, AnaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prologue:
Upon a paper attached to the Narrative which follows, Doctor Hesselius has written a rather elaborate note, which he accompanies with a reference to his Essay on the strange subject which the MS. illuminates.
In Styria, we, though by no means magnificent people, inhabit a castle, or schloss.

Carmilla is the book that set the text for Dracula, that threw the light on our morbid fascination with the vampire legend. This is Carmilla, J. Sheridan LeFanu's classic novel of blood, terror -- and a love that dare not speak its name.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 856202225X, Paperback)

The vampire novella "Carmilla" set in Austria is one of Le Fanu's best tales and greatly influenced Bram Stocker, who published Dracula 25 years later. This is definitively a great book and a must for the lovers of horror tales.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:45 -0400)

Got a hankering for top-notch Gothic horror? Lose yourself in J. Sheridan Le Fanus Carmilla, a titillating tale that centers on a lady-loving vampire who terrorizes an unsuspecting family in nineteenth-century Austria. Experts of the genre say that this novel exerted a significant influence on Bram Stoker when he was preparing to write Dracula.… (more)

Valancourt Books

An edition of this book was published by Valancourt Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,411,043 books! | Top bar: Always visible