Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan le Fanu

Carmilla (original 1872; edition 2011)

by Joseph Sheridan le Fanu

988518,685 (3.73)1 / 180
Member:ChristinaDye
Title:Carmilla
Authors:Joseph Sheridan le Fanu
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Paperback, 72 pages
Collections:E-books, Favorites
Rating:*****

Carmilla: a Vampyre Tale by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (1872)

English (48)  Swedish (1)  All (49)
I very much enjoyed this book. I read it in eBook form, but I think I might buy a print version just to have on my shelf. The book was first published in the 1800's and it shows in the writing style, but not so much as to be difficult to read or understand. I found it an easy, fast, entertaining and enthralling read from start to finish and I would definitely recommend it. I also absolutely loved the ending, which reminded me of the first few pages and had me really thinking even after I finished it. Definitely glad that my friend recommended me this book and I would absolutely recommend it to others. ( )
1 vote madam_razz | Jan 19, 2017 |
A rare Victorian read that is short, crisp, and genuinely creepy. ( )
1 vote Birdo82 | Jan 15, 2017 |
Predating Dracula by 26 years, Le Fanu's novella is a classic vampire tale that gets a lot less attention than it should. It is loaded with Gothic atmosphere and also introduces a lesbian vampire theme that, while appropriately circumspect, is unmistakable and something that I never would have expected in a novella written in the 1870s. ( )
1 vote Unkletom | Dec 29, 2016 |
really interesting take on the vampire legend. did not expect it to end the way that it did. I expected Carmilla to die in a fight against her pursuers. though there are still some questions that were unanswered. Who was her "mother"? The woman who was pretending to be her mother that is? her role was never fully explained. Was she intended to be her sire or not? ( )
1 vote almoskwa92 | Nov 3, 2016 |
Carmilla: a Vampyre Tale by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu; (4*)

This was a wonderful but sorrowful novella. The classic approach to vampires is one that never grows old though the center focus on two women is something the reader almost never finds in old literature. This gives it a nice change up from other vampire tales.
I found that I quite liked the character of the first person, the victim, who is telling the tale. I also found the villainess to be a well rounded & thoroughly readable character.
Sheridan Le Fanu pays much attention to detail and imagery. I could envision events unfolding in my mind with no effort. I love when that happens as I read.
I enjoyed this book very much and think it would come highly recommended to those who enjoy a bit of a creepy tale. ( )
3 vote rainpebble | Oct 27, 2016 |

Joseph Sheridan Le Fanuprimary authorall editionscalculated
Codd, RolandCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Follows, MeganNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hännikäinen, TimoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Juan, AnaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prologue:
Upon a paper attached to the Narrative which follows, Doctor Hesselius has written a rather elaborate note, which he accompanies with a reference to his Essay on the strange subject which the MS. illuminates.
In Styria, we, though by no means magnificent people, inhabit a castle, or schloss.

Carmilla is the book that set the text for Dracula, that threw the light on our morbid fascination with the vampire legend. This is Carmilla, J. Sheridan LeFanu's classic novel of blood, terror -- and a love that dare not speak its name.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 856202225X, Paperback)

The vampire novella "Carmilla" set in Austria is one of Le Fanu's best tales and greatly influenced Bram Stocker, who published Dracula 25 years later. This is definitively a great book and a must for the lovers of horror tales.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:45 -0400)

Got a hankering for top-notch Gothic horror? Lose yourself in J. Sheridan Le Fanus Carmilla, a titillating tale that centers on a lady-loving vampire who terrorizes an unsuspecting family in nineteenth-century Austria. Experts of the genre say that this novel exerted a significant influence on Bram Stoker when he was preparing to write Dracula.… (more)

Valancourt Books

An edition of this book was published by Valancourt Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,653,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible