Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan le Fanu

Carmilla (original 1872; edition 2011)

by Joseph Sheridan le Fanu

Authors:Joseph Sheridan le Fanu
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Paperback, 72 pages
Collections:E-books, Favorites

Carmilla: a Vampyre Tale by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (1872)

Recently added byjlhssg, OJSB, DanieXJ, rocambole, Yutsuki, private library, jmchshannon, Chrisethier, Eumenides

English (38)  Swedish (1)  All languages (39)
This is one of the oldest vampire books ever written, predating Bram Stoker's Dracula by 26 years. It is well read, creepy, and strangely modern despite its Victorian setting. I think the parallels between this story and Bram Stoker's Dracula are quite striking. They both have a vampire hunter tracing the movements of the abomination. Both vampires sneak in at night and attack the victim several times before death occurs. Carmilla turned into a large cat instead of a dog, as in Dracula, but both vampires slept in coffins. On the other hand, it's been a while since I've read Dracula, but I'm pretty certain he was unable to withstand sunlight, whereas Carmilla moved freely throughout the day. The parallels are likely due to use of the same primary sources of Slavic vampire folklore. ( )
  The_Hibernator | Oct 27, 2015 |
Carmilla is an enchanting little vampire tale in the best of the old style Gothic story. It has all the Gothic elements and Le Fanu's writing brings the reader into the world of the protagonists and surrounds them with vivid imagery. ( )
1 vote pgmcc | Jul 20, 2015 |
I was so disappointed with this book. I had so many high hopes for it and it seemed to be going in such a good direction, and then it failed me on basically every count. Such a let down. ( )
  Misty-Rose | Jun 1, 2015 |
Carmilla is a pre-Dracula vampire tale first published in 1872 of a 19th century woman living in Austria who unwittingly encounters the female vampire named Carmilla. There are some lesbian vibes coming from Carmilla which 19 year old Laura is very uncomfortable with but she can't seem to resist her. They have a mutual fascination with each other.

Carmilla is a story of coincidence, mystery and I would say trust and deception. I really liked that this story was fairly short and quite concise. I've been trying to read the vampire stories written before Dracula (1897), the only other I've read so far is [b:The Vampyre|472966|The Vampyre; a Tale|John William Polidori|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1175045689s/472966.jpg|461235] by [a:John William Polidori|26932|John William Polidori|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1206804357p2/26932.jpg] (1819).

If you find it difficult to read classics like me then listen to the audio, the narrator Tracey Childes did a good job of holding my interest. ( )
1 vote Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Love it!! ( )
  Gaby81 | Aug 28, 2014 |

Joseph Sheridan Le Fanuprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hännikäinen, TimoTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Codd, RolandCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Follows, MeganNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Upon a paper attached to the Narrative which follows, Doctor Hesselius has written a rather elaborate note, which he accompanies with a reference to his Essay on the strange subject which the MS. illuminates.
In Styria, we, though by no means magnificent people, inhabit a castle, or schloss.

Carmilla is the book that set the text for Dracula, that threw the light on our morbid fascination with the vampire legend. This is Carmilla, J. Sheridan LeFanu's classic novel of blood, terror -- and a love that dare not speak its name.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 856202225X, Paperback)

The vampire novella "Carmilla" set in Austria is one of Le Fanu's best tales and greatly influenced Bram Stocker, who published Dracula 25 years later. This is definitively a great book and a must for the lovers of horror tales.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:45 -0400)

La historia de esta novela gtica transcurre en un castillo de Austria; all vive una solitaria chica con su padre. Un da, mientras pasean por los bellos alrededores del aislado lugar, asisten a un accidente: un carruaje pierde el control en el camino y vuelca. En su interior viajan una mujer y su joven hija. La dama est obligada a continuar su recorrido a pesar del incidente, pero le pide al dueo del castillo un favor: que cuide de su hija, convaleciente de una rara y nunca bien explicada enfermedad, hasta su vuelta. La joven se llama Carmilla y pronto se hace amiga ntima de Laura, la solcita anfitriona. De inmediato comienzan a pasar cosas extraas: en los no tan cercanos pueblos mueren muchachas en aparentes ataques de vampiros.Following a near fatal carriage collision, the beautiful young Carmilla is taken in by the narrator Laura and her father who live near-by in a lonely castle. The two young women become close friends. Soon, however, strange things begin to happen; and, in villages in the surrounding area local girls die if apparent vampire attacks. Even Laura falls ill.… (more)

Valancourt Books

An edition of this book was published by Valancourt Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,884,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible